Author Topic: Making beef jerky  (Read 5335 times)

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
Re: Making beef jerky
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 02:50:22 PM »
When I do beef jerkey - I dont use any cure at all.

To each their own.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline Admin2

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 10:22:43 PM »

While it is rare for Admins to step into a discussion -  this merits said participation.

LTBBQ exists to share information among all interested in the activities cooking - and charcuterie. All participants need to recognize the responsibility to offer advice with known food safety in mind. What we choose as individuals to do for our own consumption is an individual right. What we advise others to do should compel us to consider food safety above ALL other priorities.
While we respect the use or not of cure is a decision each person is solely responsible to make - we feel that EVERYONE should know and understand why cures are used  to prevent botulinum bacteria poisoning which can be fatal. DO NOT confuse this with the general term of "food poisoning". Botulinum contaminated meats show NO visual or odor indication of being affected. So, this makes the appropriate use of cure a worthwhile piece of advice to anyone. Know the FDA guidelines for safe curing of meats. Advise others to learn these prior diving into what is truly a great hobby of making jerky.
We care about the membership - and anyone for that matter. We especially care about anyone receiving advice which is counter to being safe and enjoying the endeavors connected to LTBBQ.

Please give this serious consideration prior to commenting, or offering advice that could be read by someone with less experience - and perhaps not as well schooled or conscientious about meat freshness, hygiene, or food safety issues. Give that consideration especially when we are discussing charcuterie.  We do not want to cause harm in an effort have fun.

Offline Pappymn

Making beef jerky
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 10:27:54 PM »
I bought the Cabela's jerky mix...... I'm covered. I really appreciate all the information. I plan on marinating tomorrow!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline nepas

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 10:34:20 PM »
Always use a cure when making jerky or smoked sausage. Even dehydrated jerky.
Flint

Offline Pappymn

Making beef jerky
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 10:43:49 PM »
Always use a cure when making jerky or smoked sausage. Even dehydrated jerky.
With Nepas I trust. Thank you sir
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2017, 07:22:17 AM »

While it is rare for Admins to step into a discussion -  this merits said participation.

LTBBQ exists to share information among all interested in the activities cooking - and charcuterie. All participants need to recognize the responsibility to offer advice with known food safety in mind. What we choose as individuals to do for our own consumption is an individual right. What we advise others to do should compel us to consider food safety above ALL other priorities.
While we respect the use or not of cure is a decision each person is solely responsible to make - we feel that EVERYONE should know and understand why cures are used  to prevent botulinum bacteria poisoning which can be fatal. DO NOT confuse this with the general term of "food poisoning". Botulinum contaminated meats show NO visual or odor indication of being affected. So, this makes the appropriate use of cure a worthwhile piece of advice to anyone. Know the FDA guidelines for safe curing of meats. Advise others to learn these prior diving into what is truly a great hobby of making jerky.
We care about the membership - and anyone for that matter. We especially care about anyone receiving advice which is counter to being safe and enjoying the endeavors connected to LTBBQ.

Please give this serious consideration prior to commenting, or offering advice that could be read by someone with less experience - and perhaps not as well schooled or conscientious about meat freshness, hygiene, or food safety issues. Give that consideration especially when we are discussing charcuterie.  We do not want to cause harm in an effort have fun.

Please don't take me wrong. I'm not opposed to curing salts, and I use them elseware...just not in beef jerky. I'm not advising anyone either way. The USDA guidelines can be found here, and while they do mention a cure, they are not included in their instructions. https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/meat-preparation/jerky-and-food-safety/CT_Index
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:25:04 AM by bspitt »

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2017, 11:14:40 AM »
While it just mentions curing, the key point it has is that you should cook the meat to the 160's before dehydrating. That is the important part if you are not using a cure.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Roget

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2017, 08:42:03 AM »
I always smoke mine for a couple of hours @ 155F then move it to the dehydrator until it has the right texture.

I always use a cure. !!!

Am I still putting myself at risk by using that temp?

I have eaten a bunch done that way, but that doesn't mean I've been doing it right.

Never too old to learn (and change) :o :o
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2017, 09:34:11 AM »
I always smoke mine for a couple of hours @ 155F then move it to the dehydrator until it has the right texture.

I always use a cure. !!!

Am I still putting myself at risk by using that temp?

I have eaten a bunch done that way, but that doesn't mean I've been doing it right.

Never too old to learn (and change) :o :o

I my opinion it all depends upon who is answering the question. If the USDA is answering, then yes you are doing it wrong because the temp should be 160F. However I would gladly eat any of your jerkey prepared the way you have listed.  :) ;D

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 02:01:11 PM »
I use slightly under the recommended amount of cure per lb, and dehydrate at 145F until I get the degree of doneness that I like. But, I try to make clear to anyone reading my posts that they really need to read the USDA recommendations, and use their own judgement on how/when to use or not use cures. I don't want a guilty conscience should anyone ever get sick ( or forbid...worse...) from any advice I give...and I want to protect LTBBQ from any potential liability. :)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

Making beef jerky
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2017, 09:07:47 PM »
3 hours on my Mak on the smoke setting. I liked the moisture content so felt it was done. My 12 year old son said it was very good. Mission accomplished. But I need more frog mats now.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pappymn

Making beef jerky
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2017, 09:33:20 PM »
Well upon closer inspection. The jerky around the edge of the Mak was overdone. The piece I tested for moisture was in the middle of the rack. Gonna need to make a couple of minor adjustments. I have more meat to try that wouldn't fit on the grill
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline nepas

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2017, 10:08:39 PM »
To test for dryness, remove one piece of jerky from drying device and allow it to cool slightly. Bend the test piece into the shape of a horseshoe. If it cracks but doesn’t break, it’s considered dry enough and ready to eat.
Flint

Offline Pappymn

Making beef jerky
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2017, 10:21:34 PM »
To test for dryness, remove one piece of jerky from drying device and allow it to cool slightly. Bend the test piece into the shape of a horseshoe. If it cracks but doesn’t break, it’s considered dry enough and ready to eat.
Thank you sir. Figured you would know
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pappymn

Making beef jerky
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2017, 06:21:33 PM »
Second batch was a resounding success. 2.5 hours was all I needed. Thanks Nepas for the doneness tip. And thanks to all for input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109