Author Topic: Grill Grates - cautionary tale  (Read 2163 times)

Offline MikeC01

Grill Grates - cautionary tale
« Reply #-1 on: June 22, 2017, 11:39:34 PM »
First, I want to start by saying I absolutely LOVE my Grill Grates(TM).  They're awesome but as the company's website will tell you, they do raise the temperature of your grill significantly.

So here's my story . . . a couple of years back the porcelain coated grates that came with my Weber Genesis rotted so I tossed them and bought a full replacement kit of Grill Grates(TM).  Occasionally, I've turned up the gas all the way to let the grease burn off but after a while I noticed that the cook box of my grill started to warp.  The front edge began to bow out so that the lid did not fit over it correctly.  Luckily, the folks at Weber were nice enough to send me a new cook box, but I'm swapping half of my Grill Grates with a buddy for half of their stainless steel Weber grates.  Hopefully, that should keep the temps down enough so that the cook box doesn't get damaged again.

Offline Savannahsmoker

Re: Grill Grates - cautionary tale
« on: June 23, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »
I have been using Grill Grates in our Weber Genius for years but I never go nor find a need to go over 600 degrees. 
Usually do steaks at 550 and obtain a great sear becasue of the grill grates. 

I will heed your warning and not use high temp to burn off the build up and thanks.
[/URL]
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 01:38:19 PM »
I use a set of GrillGrates on my dad's old Char-Broil - I couldn't cook on that grill without them ! ! !

I think it's made of cast aluminum, the grates are cheap steel, and it's got the old twin controlled "H" burner.

Here it is loaded up with some Filets from Sam's:

In all honesty, I usually have to run it a full low on the valves because it gets so hot.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline MikeC01

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 09:19:34 PM »
I have been using Grill Grates in our Weber Genius for years but I never go nor find a need to go over 600 degrees. 

I will heed your warning and not use high temp to burn off the build up and thanks.

I don't even want to tell you what a PITA it is to tear down a Weber Genesis to the point where you can replace the cook box.  Then during disassembly, the two screws that hold the manifold to the cook box both snapped.  They sent me a million screws with the cook box.  Basically, every screw I removed I was able to replace with brand new screws except . . . you guessed it the two screws that hold the manifold to the cook box. Now I have to wait almost a week for two new screws to arrive from Weber because they didn't have the right screws at Lowe's.

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 01:36:45 AM »

I don't even want to tell you what a PITA it is to tear down a Weber Genesis to the point where you can replace the cook box.  Then during disassembly, the two screws that hold the manifold to the cook box both snapped.  They sent me a million screws with the cook box.  Basically, every screw I removed I was able to replace with brand new screws except . . . you guessed it the two screws that hold the manifold to the cook box. Now I have to wait almost a week for two new screws to arrive from Weber because they didn't have the right screws at Lowe's.

I am with you on that one.  We built ours and I do not think anything was assembled.  Took a lot of beer and an afternoon.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline MikeC01

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 03:54:18 PM »
I am with you on that one.  We built ours and I do not think anything was assembled.  Took a lot of beer and an afternoon.

When I bought my Genesis I don't remember having to install the burners or the manifold.  I'm pretty sure it was more assembled than what I had to deal with when replacing the cook box.

New screws are supposed to arrive today so hopefully I'll have this finally wrapped up soon.