Author Topic: Brats & Sausages ?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline ChrisD46

Brats & Sausages ?
« Reply #-1 on: July 02, 2017, 04:54:04 AM »
Let's hear your tips and success stories for brats and sausages ! ... Charcoal preference ? ...Lid cracked or closed ? ... Add any wood chunks ? ... Sausage preference ? ... Hang or use grill grate ?

Offline Kona

Re: Brats & Sausages ?
« on: July 03, 2017, 10:00:01 AM »
The only way I have ever done them was to pre-cook them in beer then char them on the Pit Barrel. If you want to cook them entirely on there I wouldn't think you need to hang them but if you want to, I saw a trick recently where someone used a metal skewer and put peppers on it and then laid the skewer across the re-bars. I'm sure you could do the same and get a lot of brats on one skewer and hang them that way. If you put them on the grate, you could probably follow the formula I do for wings. Lid on, re-bars out, put them on the grate and put the lid on for 15 minutes, flip over and lid back on for 15 then just pull the lid and let the heat get cranked to finish them off with a good char on the outside. I saw this recipe recently on food network and it looks like a ton of flavor...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/grilled-beer-brats-with-peppers-and-onions-2409038
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:17:08 AM »
What scares me about trying to hang or skewer brats is that you will pierce the casing and there goes all the juices and your brats will be all dried out.

I would just cook em on the grate and flip and flip and flip.

True Wisconsin style is to grill them first and then give them a bath in boiling beer and onion................(my little brother owns a diner in Manitowac)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 11:10:28 AM »
What scares me about trying to hang or skewer brats is that you will pierce the casing and there goes all the juices and your brats will be all dried out.

True Wisconsin style is to grill them first and then give them a bath in boiling beer and onion................(my little brother owns a diner in Manitowac)

I didn't even think about the whole juice thing lol. I would think the beer would be first in order to get that flavor into the meat, would it penetrate after getting crusty on the grill first?
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Groovedigger Dan

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 12:01:44 PM »
I just coat the raw brats with a little olive oil and put them on the PBC grate. After an hour I crack the lid for about 10-15 minutes to crisp the skins up (and throw on some dogs for the kids). The family won't take them an other way now, they take on a great smoke flavor, there's a fantastic snap, and the brats come out juicy but cooked through (165).

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 05:42:34 PM »
I put the brats in a pot with beer and onions, bring to a boil, and then simmer.  Total cook time from start to finish - 1 hour.  Then I just char them on the gas grill with the lid open as they can get away from you rather quickly.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 10:26:50 PM »

That's how I do them Smoke
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline zak99b5

Re: Brats & Sausages ?r
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 08:34:48 AM »
If they come as links, you can hang a few without piercing the casing.

But usually I just put them on the grill grate in the PBC and cook as normal (lid on, rebar in) without flipping them. I'll let them go 45-60 minutes, but I'm usually drinking beer as I cook sausages so don't quote e me on the time ;D.

They come out tasty and browned.

Knockwurst, kielbasa, and Italian sausage all work great in the PBC. I also add hot dogs for the kids and a snack for me as the bigger links cook.
PBC
22" Weber Performer with Slow-n-Sear

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 09:44:15 AM »
The only way I have ever done them was to pre-cook them in beer then char them on the Pit Barrel. If you want to cook them entirely on there I wouldn't think you need to hang them but if you want to, I saw a trick recently where someone used a metal skewer and put peppers on it and then laid the skewer across the re-bars. I'm sure you could do the same and get a lot of brats on one skewer and hang them that way. If you put them on the grate, you could probably follow the formula I do for wings. Lid on, re-bars out, put them on the grate and put the lid on for 15 minutes, flip over and lid back on for 15 then just pull the lid and let the heat get cranked to finish them off with a good char on the outside. I saw this recipe recently on food network and it looks like a ton of flavor...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/grilled-beer-brats-with-peppers-and-onions-2409038
I kinda do the same thing just lay them on the upside down lid of the big easy..I also hang ribs from a roitsserie rod..works great..just like a pbc   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron