Author Topic: Pork Blade Steaks  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Kona

Pork Blade Steaks
« Reply #-1 on: July 14, 2017, 07:21:39 PM »
Sorry I don't have any pics but I have never cooked or tried a pork blade steak before and I had come across the recipe below. I have been missing out! The pork steaks were outstanding and I'd probably make those over a pork chop any day. The recipe is pretty tasty and has a good kick of spice.

http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/monroe-county-pork-steaks-spicy-vinegar-dip/

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Pork Blade Steaks
« on: July 15, 2017, 10:23:02 AM »
...The pork steaks were outstanding and I'd probably make those over a pork chop any day.

Agree.  We usually opt for pork steaks over chops.

Once in a while we like to get thick-cut blade steaks.  We just buy a Boston Butt and ask the butcher to cut it into 1" thick (or more) steaks. 
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Kona

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 09:18:14 AM »
...The pork steaks were outstanding and I'd probably make those over a pork chop any day.

Once in a while we like to get thick-cut blade steaks.  We just buy a Boston Butt and ask the butcher to cut it into 1" thick (or more) steaks.

Do you cook the thicker ones hot and fast? I wasn't sure how to cook them and just followed the recipe I posted
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 05:53:06 PM »

Do you cook the thicker ones hot and fast? I wasn't sure how to cook them and just followed the recipe I posted

Pork steaks are so versatile there are several ways to cook them.  For the thick cut ones, yes, we tend to just season them up and cook them hot and fast on the grill to about 145° then let rest for about 10 minutes, very much like you'd do for a beef steak.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 06:46:44 AM »
We need more people who aren't afraid to post without pictures . . .

As to pork steaks, they're a wonderful alternative to dry, listless chops.  Even better when you can get pastured pork instead of factory.  I have friends who raise pigs for tasty meat, not "the other white meat" and I'm thinking its time to pay them a visit  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 11:04:03 AM »
Sorry I don't have any pics but I have never cooked or tried a pork blade steak before and I had come across the recipe below. I have been missing out! The pork steaks were outstanding and I'd probably make those over a pork chop any day. The recipe is pretty tasty and has a good kick of spice.

http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/monroe-county-pork-steaks-spicy-vinegar-dip/

When our local Winn-Dixie Supermarket runs these on special you have to buy a 2-pack of pork butts. I will smoke one and have the butcher cut up the other into blade steaks and country style ribs.  I season these as I would a butt and smoke until about 140F and then will sauce them and char a bit over the coals.  Always great and an easy one hour or so cook.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 05:29:17 PM »
I hate to question the advice of Prof. Raichlen, but I don't see cooking "thin-cut pork chops" over a high direct heat for 4 minutes per side.  The pork steaks have enough internal fat to pull this off, but I doubt that the chops would make it through edibly.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC