Author Topic: Bedroom makeover......and the struggles within  (Read 1807 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Bedroom makeover......and the struggles within
« Reply #-1 on: October 03, 2017, 06:18:58 PM »
My Better Half and I took a weekend trip to the mountains of Helen Ga and one night before going to bed, we were watching HGTV and got a wild hair up our you know whats and decided to redo the bedroom. They make it look SO easy on TV don't they? 30 minutes later it's done and is perfect! Real Life??? Nope. Not easy. Not done in 30 minutes.

Our house has things we love and things we hate. One of the things we hate is the bedrooms are all small. Decent kitchen, huge family room but the rooms are a bit small. In the case of doing a makeover, it actually was a blessing in disguise :)

She had surgery planned and wanted to get her room done before she went in so she'd have a nice renovated room to come home to so the pressure was on. I moved the old furniture out, pulled up carpet and padding, tacks and tack strips then painted the room. The ENTIRE room. Tray ceiling area and crown molding, main ceiling crown, base boards, window and door trim. The walls too obviously. I HATE painting!!!! I also installed a fancy remote controlled ceiling fan while I was in there. I had all of the painting done and fan installed in a weekend while she conveniently was at the beach with her best friend dating back to her teens. She's sneaky or brilliant one, I haven't decided yet :P

I then laid down underlayment and wood laminate flooring (floating floor) then shoe molding. I bought a new bedroom suite and decorated it. I think it turned out nice but it was a reminder that I am no longer 20 years old and this kind of work, along with my regular job, is more than I think I am willing to do again. Next time I'll hire someone, lol!

She had her surgery Friday and I've been her nurse since bringing her home and will continue that role for the foreseeable future, but that's okay. I love her so it's easy :)

For those that do this kind of work for a living, my hat's off to you! It's a tough gig. The only thing I'll say is that I really find satisfaction when doing something myself and it turns out better than you envisioned. It's really satisfying and the main thing is that SHE absolutely loves it and that makes it worth the effort.

If y'all have projects you've done, I'd love to see them. Although I am no Bob Vila, I enjoy this type of stuff and enjoy seeing what others can do. Please share pics if you've got'em!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline RG

Re: Bedroom makeover......and the struggles within
« on: October 03, 2017, 07:03:52 PM »
I forgot to add that once I got her home, the bed proved too much of a hassle for her to get onto so we stole some pillows from it and on the couch she resides. How ironic, lol!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 07:42:06 PM »
You take good care of her RG, we know you will. We have been doing some "remodeling" but other than a backsplash, I have had to hire out.................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline RG

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 08:04:01 PM »
I'll take good care of her, I have to! She'd do the same for me.

Here's a couple of pics of my attempt at being a handyman :P

Painting and flooring done

Ceiling fan

Finished room (minus her pillows she took!)

The next thing to do is my deck but this little adventure taught me that I need to hire that one out!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 08:13:07 PM »
Make sure that deck has a comfortable hammock and fridge for you...As you may be living out there for a while.... :D :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 09:11:05 PM »
Good job RG...now take care of your wife  ;)
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RAD

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 09:27:07 PM »
Great Job RG. This is one post I will "NOT" be sharing with Mrs. RAD
Love to cook and eat

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 11:13:17 PM »
Nicely done.  I would have to hire out to get any work done in our house.  After an incident with a ladder, I have been forbidden from getting back on one.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 01:34:36 AM »
RG, you do good work. Great looking room. Hope your wife heals quickly.

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 01:50:39 PM »
I figured I'd chime in with an update of Stephanie. She's 8 days out from surgery, still a ways to go before she's herself. She wants to get off her makeshift bed (the couch) and do stuff like clean and fold laundry but she can't, doctor's orders. I have been trying to do what I can to fill in for her when I am not at work. I don't mind cooking and a little housecleaning. The issue is that the house is still not back in order after the bedroom makeover but I am chipping away at it. It's a dreary day here in my neck of the woods so I am just listening to music and doing laundry like a mad man, lol. Once I've had my fill I'll sit back and drink a cold beer or 2 and most likely order a pizza :P

Take care friends, I'll chime back in soon, hopefully with a cook I've done.

Offline RAD

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »
I figured I'd chime in with an update of Stephanie. She's 8 days out from surgery, still a ways to go before she's herself. She wants to get off her makeshift bed (the couch) and do stuff like clean and fold laundry but she can't, doctor's orders. I have been trying to do what I can to fill in for her when I am not at work. I don't mind cooking and a little housecleaning. The issue is that the house is still not back in order after the bedroom makeover but I am chipping away at it. It's a dreary day here in my neck of the woods so I am just listening to music and doing laundry like a mad man, lol. Once I've had my fill I'll sit back and drink a cold beer or 2 and most likely order a pizza :P

Take care friends, I'll chime back in soon, hopefully with a cook I've done.
Hang in there RG, you're doing good.
Love to cook and eat

Offline RG

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 12:02:37 PM »
Thanks RAD. It's getting easier day by day so I'll be good for a while longer, lol. I made French Toast and sausage for her this morning and served it to her on the couch. Breakfast in bed style :) I have a chuckie in the crock pot for dinner tonight and if the rain will hold off I am going to grill some burgers and the gasser. I know, nobody likes the gas grill but it's convenient and will get the nod today ;) If I can remember, I'll document the burger cook and share later.