Author Topic: Has Rec Tec discontinued manufacturing the RT300 Mini?  (Read 6920 times)

Offline BlackC5

Re: Has Rec Tec discontinued manufacturing the RT300 Mini?
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 09:48:04 PM »
I have not looked into how to upload photos to another site yet, so they can be displayed here on LTBBQAM.  I could attach pictures that will delete in a few months but that would take up valuable server space of the forum and I do not want to do that.  I read the tips on attaching pictures and will try finding a program that works easily with a MacBook Pro and iPad Air and give it a try.  Having said that, I did do a Boston boneless butt and it turned out great.  I cannot believe I made something that tastes this good.  Set the temp at 225, inserted a meat probe into the thickest part of the butt and waited until the internal temp was 195 before pulling, triple wrapping in foil, a thick beach towel and placed in a cooler for two hours.  The pellet grill was smoking like crazy the entire time.  Took 17-hours and there were pellets still in the hopper.  I am a novice at this, gaining experience only by reading everyones helpful posts here.  Finding out a pellet grill is pretty much goof-proof if you just pay attention to a few details.  Yep, should have bought one sooner but glad I have one now.

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 07:57:08 AM »
Yes, Rec Tec discontinued the RT300.  They are replacing it with the TrailBlazer that is due to come out Feb 1.  Lots of rumors of what that grill will look like.  Some say it has a stainless steel body.  They are still selling the RT300 but you have to pick it up at the warehouse in Augusta GA and they have been discounted to $300 in the box.  However they will not offer the 2 year warranty at the discounted price.  The RT300 uses the same computer as the RT680, same fan and motor so parts will not be an issue.  Raymond Carnes the Co-Founder has stated the they will always have parts for the RT300.  This week I took my Mini to Atlanta to see my daughter and her husband and to fill their freezer with Smoked Ribs, Brisket and Pulled Pork.  They loved the Mini so much I gave it to them.  On the way home I detoured to Augusta so I could buy a new mini in the box for $300.  It is in perfect shape and well worth the price.  REC TEC will also be coming out with WiFi Controller for the RT680 and RT3000 in Jan 2018.  It is plug and play and will be $99.  They just came out with the Bullseye grill that sells for $399 with free shipping.  The bullseye is a kettle style pellet grill that will reach temps of 650 degrees.  They had 3 of those cookers going when I picked up the RT300.

Bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with the RT300, they are just making a better design in the Trailblazer.  I love my RT300 and could not think of being without it.   

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 09:15:37 AM »
That is great info on Rec Tecs future plans and some reassurance for present mini owner thinking they might be abandoned. Rec Tec does not roll like that.

Wi-Fi seems to be the next must have addition to pellet grills. The Traeger Timberline has it and it just seems like the next generation of pellet grills will be Wi-Fi.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 11:45:43 AM »
Yes, Rec Tec discontinued the RT300.  They are replacing it with the TrailBlazer that is due to come out Feb 1.  Lots of rumors of what that grill will look like.  Some say it has a stainless steel body.  They are still selling the RT300 but you have to pick it up at the warehouse in Augusta GA and they have been discounted to $300 in the box.  However they will not offer the 2 year warranty at the discounted price.  The RT300 uses the same computer as the RT680, same fan and motor so parts will not be an issue.  Raymond Carnes the Co-Founder has stated the they will always have parts for the RT300.  This week I took my Mini to Atlanta to see my daughter and her husband and to fill their freezer with Smoked Ribs, Brisket and Pulled Pork.  They loved the Mini so much I gave it to them.  On the way home I detoured to Augusta so I could buy a new mini in the box for $300.  It is in perfect shape and well worth the price.  REC TEC will also be coming out with WiFi Controller for the RT680 and RT3000 in Jan 2018.  It is plug and play and will be $99.  They just came out with the Bullseye grill that sells for $399 with free shipping.  The bullseye is a kettle style pellet grill that will reach temps of 650 degrees.  They had 3 of those cookers going when I picked up the RT300.

Bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with the RT300, they are just making a better design in the Trailblazer.  I love my RT300 and could not think of being without it.
The mini was perfect for me too..loved everything about it..don't like the new one and don't need wifi..if you ever wanna sell it let me know first...☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2017, 11:48:48 AM »
I hope pellet grills manufacturers follow the Green Mountain Grill approach. Have non Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi versions available. Shouldn't be too impossible, just seems like swapping out a controller during production for either version........cooking characteristics should not change between controllers............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 07:59:20 PM »
Pam, I spoke to Ben the GM at Rec Tec and he said they would ship the discounted Mini for a small charge under $50   So for $350 you can get a new in the box mini.  Just don’t have the 2 year warranty.   With the excellent customer service that Rec Tec is known for I bet they will make any problem right. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2017, 12:02:50 PM »
File this in the "never say never" category......Rec Tec is going to implement Wi-Fi soon

look at this video at the 6:10 second mark................"never say never"
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=why+buy+a+rec+tec&&view=detail&mid=712AD49DF65FA108FCA6712AD49DF65FA108FCA6&&FORM=VDRVRV
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2017, 12:15:43 PM »
File this in the "never say never" category......Rec Tec is going to implement Wi-Fi soon

look at this video at the 6:10 second mark................"never say never"
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=why+buy+a+rec+tec&&view=detail&mid=712AD49DF65FA108FCA6712AD49DF65FA108FCA6&&FORM=VDRVRV

and to be clear I aint picking on Rec Tec. They are a great company with a great product. I even had Ray talk to Tee years back and they were a Forum Sponsor for a while.

It just tickled me when I saw this video after hearing that they were going with Wi-Fi  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline BlackC5

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 03:28:05 PM »
With a Maverick ET-733, (or any similar product) you do not really need WiFi.  Pretty much the same exact thing.  If you do not have a unit with probes to monitor temperatures then yes, WiFi results in less gadgets purchased.  Set cooking temp(s), set an alarm, insert a probe(s) and watch the internal temperature rise and pull the cook at the temp(s) you want.  I even use the et-733 and a probe when cooking pizza LOL!  Once set, I do not even lift the lid until the temperature is attained.  Insert into the middle of the dough and cook to 160 degrees.  Still amazed how good everything has come out using a Pellet Grill!  I never ever cooked as well on any other of the several various fueled grills I have owned.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 03:37:14 PM »
With a Maverick ET-733, (or any similar product) you do not really need WiFi.  Pretty much the same exact thing.  If you do not have a unit with probes to monitor temperatures then yes, WiFi results in less gadgets purchased.  Set cooking temp(s), set an alarm, insert a probe(s) and watch the internal temperature rise and pull the cook at the temp(s) you want.  I even use the et-733 and a probe when cooking pizza LOL!  Once set, I do not even lift the lid until the temperature is attained.  Insert into the middle of the dough and cook to 160 degrees.  Still amazed how good everything has come out using a Pellet Grill!  I never ever cooked as well on any other of the several various fueled grills I have owned.

I think you may have overlooked a feature of WiFi - that for many has been a real benefit. I can set up the grill ( in my case a MAK with WiFi ) and operate it from anywhere in the world I have an internet connection via my phone, or tablet.
We all ( well...many of us...) work or have very busy lives, and having the ability to monitor - and change the temp. or turn off the grill from a remote location allows us to multi-task. Not my choice of how I would rather do things ( i.e. - on the deck, with an adult beverage and a nap.... ;D ) rather, the reality imposed upon many of us by..."economics". Those bills don't pay themselves ;)  :D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:53:24 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401