Author Topic: Smoke Bomb.. for all you NONE pellet grill users!  (Read 5905 times)

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
Smoke Bomb.. for all you NONE pellet grill users!
« Reply #-1 on: April 11, 2013, 02:53:38 PM »
I get quite a few asks about using our pellets in any type of grill. I tell people to make a Smoke Bomb. Take about 12" x 12" chunk of heavy duty foil and put 1/2 cup of pellets in it. then close it up tight into a ball. Now take a pen or pencil and poke 1 hole in it... jiggle it around so it is a bit larger and pull out. Now place that ball , hole side up over your heat source, flames, hot coals, what have you and when it starts smoking throw on your food and pull back the heat to half /medium and finish to a safe temp.

Now, once you've got that down and your happy with the results you can move on to something more durable and long lasting then a single use ball of foil to put our pellets in.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:57:24 PM by gfgraphics »
Nutin better then Hard Wood!

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Smoke Bomb.. for all you NONE pellet grill users!
« on: April 11, 2013, 04:33:21 PM »
Yea Chris this is the method I used for years with my gas water smokers, it had a layer of briquettes above the gas burner and just threw them on there. It worked. Don
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:58:12 PM by gfgraphics »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 07:13:25 PM »
Hey Don, How ya doing... The blog looks good as always. I started playing with smoke bombs when I first got my first pellet grill 9 years ago... Used them on my ol Ducane gasser.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:58:20 PM by gfgraphics »

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:24:31 AM »
I recommend this method, too. Works great and it's a pretty easy way to get good, blue smoke.

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 09:29:18 AM »
Agreed! Also for you first timers it will create a TON of smoke so don't be surprised.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
Works good with chips in a pinch too.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 02:20:58 PM »
One of my grills (I especially like for last minute cooks) is a CharBroil G2G. There is a trough under the grates and above the burner. I like to toss a handfull of pellets in the trough as I pre-heat the grill (propane.) Not a lot of "control" but as I get to know the various pellets I can adjust how many I add and when so it works well. Lookin' forward to trying these!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 10:40:19 AM »
I wish all grills were made with a pellet pocket!
A man can dream.... :P

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 10:00:55 PM »
One of my grills (I especially like for last minute cooks) is a CharBroil G2G. There is a trough under the grates and above the burner. I like to toss a handfull of pellets in the trough as I pre-heat the grill (propane.) Not a lot of "control" but as I get to know the various pellets I can adjust how many I add and when so it works well. Lookin' forward to trying these!

David
David,  I'm with you on lack of control with using chips or pellets in the G2G grill.   As soon as I shake this dang flu and get a nice day I got another mod in the works for that grill.   

I have a smoke device that I have been wanting to add to it for sometime and almost anyone can do it. 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 10:06:01 AM »

David
David,  I'm with you on lack of control with using chips or pellets in the G2G grill.   As soon as I shake this dang flu and get a nice day I got another mod in the works for that grill.   

I have a smoke device that I have been wanting to add to it for sometime and almost anyone can do it.
Get well and get workin'  ;) ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 10:36:04 AM »
GET WELL BIG GUY!

David

Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill