Author Topic: Burning off your grill?  (Read 5487 times)

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
Burning off your grill?
« Reply #-1 on: April 22, 2013, 09:04:42 PM »
I call it burning off, some call it warming up. I am on vacation at the moment but where we are has grills on property and I opened the lid of the gasser I was going to start and had the wort smell of fish I have smelled for quite a while...
Peeeeuuuu. So I cranked it up and let it burn off all the stuff that was left over... about 20 minutes on high. Now at home I generally crank up my pellet grill and let it bake for about 5-10 minutes, whether I am smoking or grilling. I like a fresh surface.
So my question is.... do you heat to burn off your grill before use, do you scrape or do you just throw on the vittles?
Nutin better then Hard Wood!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Burning off your grill?
« on: April 22, 2013, 09:09:14 PM »
I always burn off the crud for 10 to 15 mins then brush before cooking. 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline IBCookin

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 10:03:32 PM »
Depending on what I cook and what I manage to get all over the grill, I burn off the curd about every 3 or 4 cooks for 15 - 20 min.
I do brush the grill at the end of every cook while things are still warm.
Everyone is good at something....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Cooker

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 10:06:46 PM »
Depending on what I cook and what I manage to get all over the grill, I burn off the curd about every 3 or 4 cooks for 15 - 20 min.
I do brush the grill at the end of every cook while things are still warm.

I am thinking this is what should be done but usually to busy at the end of a cook
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 11:17:56 PM »
I will brush the grates at the end of the cook - usually... Or if not ( as in those "middle of the night cooks) then - before I use it again. Then, when I turn the grill on next - burn it off before placing anything in it.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 11:23:27 PM »
I burn off and brush at the end of my cooks so I don't need to at the start of the next one. I like to use my gasser on high to clean the parts on my pellet grill ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 11:28:10 PM »
I burn off and brush at the end of my cooks so I don't need to at the start of the next one. I like to use my gasser on high to clean the parts on my pellet grill ;)

Good idea thanks  ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 04:04:48 AM »
I brush my smoker grates off while it is still hot and again after cooling (while I am disposing of ash).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Burning off your grill?
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 08:38:25 AM »
Out of habit and as stated up above, I heat up and scrape before the next cook cause I'm usually to busy to tend to the cooker after the protein is done. 

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 05:12:25 PM »
occasionally  my wife forgets to turn off the grill and we end up sterilizing it overnight! ???
Nutin better then Hard Wood!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 06:35:40 PM »
occasionally  my wife forgets to turn off the grill and we end up sterilizing it overnight! ???

That happened to me once...glad I already had 2 kids..... ::) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RAD

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 06:49:58 PM »
After a cook I will burn for a few but before a cook I always burn to get the heat up to temp for the cook and that will burn of some crud as well
Love to cook and eat

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 07:00:43 PM »
On my gasser I always wire brush the grates (cast iron) to get the gunk off them while my meat is resting. Then I spray the grates with a light coat of oil. It is always clean and ready to go for the next cook and the cast iron is seasoned as nice as a cast iron skillet. If I don't do that, all the gunk on the grates gets baked on and it a bear to clean before the next cook.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 08:18:10 PM »
With our pellet grills, I like to  bump the temp to high & let the grill run for a good 10 - 15 minutes at the end of a cook to burn off any crud. The grill's already hot and it doesn't take nearly as much to get it up to a hot cleaning temp.

I can't stand the thought of sauce, food, etc. hanging around in the grill turning rancid, etc. not to mention how much nicer it is removing the grates & drip pan to empty the fire pot before the next cook.

Next cook: Empty the fire pot, a quick wipe down of the grates & drip pan (and/or replace the foil), put them back in place and it's ready to go.

The flip-side of the coin is that I don't always pre-heat the pellet grill for a cook. If it's something where I want a deeper smoke, I put the meat on cold and take advantage of the warm-up time and the extra smoke it provides.

That's my 2¢ worth of wisdom. It's about all Ive got and you probably want some change back!   ???
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 07:20:46 AM »
Hi all...

It's springtime (sorta). For those who don't use their gas grills all year long don't forget the spring tune-up!

Take the grates off and use a shop vac to clean out any debris. Check the venturi tubes to be sure spiders haven't found a winter home (for some reason they love the smell of propane). Inspect the gas lines for cracks or damage (critters like to chew on them)... replace as necessary. Use some emery cloth to clean off the ingiter and the area it sparks on the burner... replace the ingiter battery and check for correct operation. Check the burners to be sure they are not clogged or rusted.

Get your propane tanks filled and hook one up to the grill. Check the regulator connection with soapy water. Fire up the grill to confirm the burners light properly. Turn the grill off and reassemble...

Clean the grates with a stiff brush and lightly oil.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)