Author Topic: Burning off your grill?  (Read 5493 times)

Offline Hub

Re: Burning off your grill?
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 08:00:23 AM »
With our pellet grills, I like to  bump the temp to high & let the grill run for a good 10 - 15 minutes at the end of a cook to burn off any crud. The grill's already hot and it doesn't take nearly as much to get it up to a hot cleaning temp.

I can't stand the thought of sauce, food, etc. hanging around in the grill turning rancid, etc. not to mention how much nicer it is removing the grates & drip pan to empty the fire pot before the next cook.

Next cook: Empty the fire pot, a quick wipe down of the grates & drip pan (and/or replace the foil), put them back in place and it's ready to go.

The flip-side of the coin is that I don't always pre-heat the pellet grill for a cook. If it's something where I want a deeper smoke, I put the meat on cold and take advantage of the warm-up time and the extra smoke it provides.

That's my 2ยข worth of wisdom. It's about all Ive got and you probably want some change back!   ???

Definitely worth two cents.  My method, too.  Works well.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Chili Head

Burning off your grill?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 01:44:11 PM »
I'll brush mine after each cook and once the grill is hot on the next cook ill brush it again before the food goes on.

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 09:10:19 PM »
BBQ Chef, You make a good point. Also if you are having problems with lighting your gasser for the first time this season... it has been known that critters will build webs in the gas tubes. Remove the pipe piece that can be removed and clean out any webs with a pipe cleaner or loooong skewer!
Nutin better then Hard Wood!

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 10:01:53 PM »
I wipe the grill down after I use it.  when I fire it back up the next cook I always run it higher then I need and wipe down again and then cool it down to my cook temp.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66