Author Topic: My hot rod went out!! NOW WHAT??  (Read 1022 times)

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
My hot rod went out!! NOW WHAT??
« Reply #-1 on: May 07, 2013, 05:58:03 PM »
So you know when something so easy is just a simple fix away... but you need a smart a#@ friend to point it out so you never live it down....
Well both of my pellet grills is down and I'm out of LP for the gasser and I go to get the LP filled at the local hardware store , Late in the day of course, and the guy brings it back and says.."CAN"T HELP YA BUB... It's OUTA DATE!"
What are you talking about??? The tank he says... it is past the date of use..... arggg. I take my empty and head to the exchange.... only to remember that it is a quick release not screw on and can't find a quick release tank at the exchange places around the house. I go to Menards and grab a $27 screw in quick release that I can use on any tank. Easier to replace then the feed line on the grill. So after 3 hours of fumbling around I get home a buddy calls me and I tell him my issues and he says  "aaa there are pellets in your pellet grill aren't there?" I say "ya but, the hot rod blew and I can't light it"   he is silent for a second and says " you can get to the thing that holds the pellets in the grill...right" (he doesn't own a pellet grill) I say of course! Thinking to myself... bonehead! He instantly says " why not just light em with a torch??  You know propane torch..." I say... yeah,     aaaa,     well,    I was going to DO THAT ???. He says yup I'm sure you were.
At that point I told him I had the wife calling me for something and had to go... he said "Enjoy that pellet grill tonight E I N S T I EN"
I just grumbled and hung up....   >:(
So simple a fix.  :-X
Nutin better then Hard Wood!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: My hot rod went out!! NOW WHAT??
« on: May 07, 2013, 06:30:02 PM »
Sometimes the most obvious answer is the most difficult to see ;)

Where are my glasses? Oh I am wearing them :D

Don't worry it happens to us all Chris.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:27:15 PM »
Great story and a great tip to keep your grill started.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:46:09 PM »
I get a little one track minded sometimes and it is always better with two heads troubleshooting. It does feel a lot better when your the one that comes up with the solution first :)

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:39:28 PM »
DUDE!!!

You don't have CHARCOAL???

just askin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 01:11:48 AM »
mix some pellets w/ bbq gel and put into fire pot.  put a match to it.  after a few minutes turn your grill on.  shazam.  your in business.  must have smokey, smokey.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 03:07:33 AM »
DUDE!!!

You don't have CHARCOAL???

just askin'...

Beat me to it!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 10:42:01 PM »
Ok.. I will say it...I don't have charcoal... I don't even cook on charcoal when we camp. Always over an open fire with my triangle rack, when cooking.
I think my dear father always got to much starter fluid on the charcoal and didn't let it burn off before throwing the meat on...
Nutin better then Hard Wood!