Author Topic: Clean it out lately???  (Read 1114 times)

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
Clean it out lately???
« Reply #-1 on: May 11, 2013, 09:43:36 PM »
So I had dual blow outs  on BOTH of my pellet grills within a month or so. Anyway I thought I would let everyone know that a good cleaning of the burn pot and pellet hopper is a good thing to do before your start of the heavy use season.

This is my ho trod from my TREAGER.

Look close at the burn pot hole. Before I pulled the wires from the control area under the hopper were the controller is I tied a string to the plug end and when I pulled out the hot rod wire that runs through the supply air box I had a line to pull the new hot rod wire through the supply air box backwards to re hookup!

All together and ready to fire up.

Done and ready for action.
My Woodmaster was just 2 screws and pulled the old hot rod out and replaced... about 7 minutes! Great design.

I emptied the pellet hopper out and cleaned out the dust that collects at the auger. Helps  auger performance.
No pics ... pretty basic.
I know we all don't have pellet grills but what ever you have.... never hurts to do a good cleanup every once in awhile.
Nutin better then Hard Wood!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Clean it out lately???
« on: May 11, 2013, 10:21:18 PM »
great info Chris!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 10:46:56 PM »
Thanks for the info and pics Chris. This shows you how the ash and high temperatures can corrode certain metals. The end of that igniter rod shows some corrosion. It is important to keep you firepot in the pellet grill or even ash out of your charcoal grill. Especially if you live in humid climates. The moisture mixing with the ash creates the problem.

My Memphis pellet grill has a really cool design on it's firepot. The igniter is located just out of the firepot so it never really sits in the ash or direct flame. The igniter is close enough to cause the pellets to ignite. The firepot is also all stainless. If you look at the picture below you can see just the very tip of the igniter at the center bottom hole...

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 07:37:16 AM »
I do a "spring cleaning" on all my cookers.  For the Traeger and Memphis I remove the main mechanicals, vacuum out ash from places I can't reach on routine cleaning, and then scrape accumulated crud and vacuum that away.  The charcoalers get a rinsing out.  The little gasser gets a scraping and inspection of the burner condition.  Takes me a while but I only have to do it once a year and I combine it with a hosing down of the whole cookshack to blast away the cobwebs, dust, wasp nests and bird poop.  Now that it is finally warm enough to be outside without a coat, I have no excuse for not doing this  ;)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:20:15 AM »
My Yoder also just exposes the tip of the hot rod so it doesn't get the full blunt of the fire. I shop vac out my fire pot after every cook and about once a month I will let the hopper run empty and blow out the ash from the auger. It is easy to do on the Yoder cause the Yoder auger is not more than 6 inches long......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 01:27:09 PM »
Great designs on that.
Nutin better then Hard Wood!