Author Topic: SSII compatability question  (Read 13658 times)

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
SSII compatability question
« Reply #-1 on: July 14, 2013, 01:50:34 PM »
I own an imitation pellet grill by Outdoor Gourmet. (A small pause for the snickering to die down). Everyone seems to think that it is a Traeger clone, but I don't think so. The reason is that it is programmed differently than a Traeger. The Traeger auger runs for 15 seconds and off and this auger runs for 30 seconds and off. Also, there is a difference in the number of "P" settings. I think the Traeger has 9 whereas this grill only has 7. The problem that I am having is that the grill is always 100 to 150 degrees hotter at the grill surface than the called for temperature. Example: controller set for 225, but temp inside the chamber, measured by a couple of Mavericks, is usually about 340 to 370. I've been messing around with it and can interpolate the settings for it to do what I want, but I have to cook in smoke mode to keep it under 250. Now here is my question. Can the SavannahStoker II retrofit into this pellet pooper? Has anyone tried this before? I would think the auger motor, igniter, and fan are close to the electronic specs of the Traeger's and I can change plugs or hardwire in a heartbeat if I have to. Thanks to everyone for any assistance.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:57:48 PM by IR2dum »

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: SSII compatability question
« on: July 14, 2013, 02:29:35 PM »
Well one issue that you have is the RTD(temp probe) location is not at the grill level. It is measuring the air temperature so that is why the temperature at the grill level is hotter. You also have energy being released from the drip pan and the firepot being located directly underneath the drip pan.

The controller works off of timings and temperature. When the temp is above setpoint it reverts to the timings. When below it runs the auger until it reaches setpoint. This creates temp swings due to the delay it takes for the pellets to burn and finally release energy. The swings will not affect longer cooks but shorter ones it can cause issues. The swings do create smoke however.

In smoke mode the controller only runs the timings and no temp reading is taken into consideration by the controller. This can affect the temps so the P settings will adjust this timing(higher the number the longer the time). That is why too high of a number and you can have a flame out. The P settings can be used to mainly adjust the temp in smoke mode. They do affect the temp when not running in smoke mode but only when the temp is above setpoint.

The SSII can be made to control any pellet grill. The plugs that come on it are the standard for a Traeger but I am sure Bill can change the connectors for you if they are different.

The SSII is a PID controller. Basically it has a brain and anticipates the delay in energy release by the pellets to keep stable temps. It will do this on-the-fly. The SSII will make various timing adjustments to keep the temp as close to setpoint as possible. Due to the unpredictable nature of the energy from a pellet grill this is very impressive. Also the SSII now incorporates a variable fan speed controller to help regulate temps better and create smoke. My Memphis does this by bellowing the fan.

It also has a built-in Stoker interface although it is not needed to run the SSII.

Can you take a picture of the connectors on that grill and post them here? I am pretty positive they are the same.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 02:55:55 PM »
Connections on the SSII.

Black is to 110 AC power
Red is to the Auger motor
Orange is to the Draft Inducer Fan motor
Purple is to the Ignigtor Rod, IE Hot Rod.
In all cases, other then the Thermocouple,  the White Wire is the neutral wire and the other color wire is the Hot Wire.

You replace the RTD in your unit with the provided Thermocouple which plugs into the front of the SSII.

The connectors are Molex and are available at Radio Shack. 

Other comparability issues would be the size the hole where your current controller is mounted, the clearance behind the controller and the mounting holes.

As muebe said "The SSII can be made to control any pellet grill." or other on/off operated systems.  In fact I have a Savannah Stoker running my Sous-vide cooking system that I am experimenting with.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:46:29 PM by Savannahsmoker »
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 08:12:28 PM »
muebe and Savannahsmoker, thanks for all the good information. Ya'll talked me right into the SSII (I wanted one anyway.) I'm out of town until late tonight, but as soon as I get home, I'll take some pics of my connector situation and also measure my opening for the controller and the screw placements. I think it is probably the same size as the Traeger 180 or 225 controller because it looks exactly like it without the Traeger logo. I'll PM both of you tomorrow to follow up. Thanks again.

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 09:29:56 PM »
I have Savannah Stoker's (SSII) left over from the development program so I can measure one once you have your measurements.

The hole is minor but the inside clearance is a little more major.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 01:08:36 PM by Savannahsmoker »
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,