Author Topic: Why are pellets so different form one company to another?  (Read 2896 times)

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
Why are pellets so different form one company to another?
« Reply #-1 on: November 03, 2013, 11:23:43 AM »
Well, I find pellets are like ice cream... you can taste a ton of different vanillas  but you have your favorite. And if your favorite is close that is a plus! If you have to drive a bit and spend some fuel to get there then you may buy a gallon instead of a cone to make it worth while.  Pellets are no different. A bulk buy instead of a single bag to make it more affordable to use.
Overall I suggest to try a bunch... even if it cost you a bit more at first. Find what you like. Order in bulk to make the shipping much less expensive and maybe share with other to make it even better. Hopefully you have your favorite close to you.
Find what you like, buy in bulk, enjoy.
NOT all pellets are made the same and there are some that are GREAT!!  And some not so great. Just like vanilla ice cream.... richer ingredients, more expensive manufacturing techniques, cost in nationwide availability. All of this plays a roll in what you like vs the other guy.   As far as temps... they will range hugely due to grill manufactured and final woods used in the pellet.
One of my single wall grills Only gets to about 425 or so during the warmer seasons using our Perfect Mix but one of our other grills that is heavily insulated hits 600 with no issues. Our double walled grill hits 500 with no problem. In saying that some pellets that use a oak or alder base will hit 500 in a single wall grill due to that woods faster burn creating a bit more heat generating properties but, there is flavor loss due to quick burn. Some people like that.
I personally bought a pellet smoker to get a smokey flavor on things. for that reason I don't cook/smoke anything over 350! Yes that includes steaks, burgers and pizza plus tons of other things. Yes it takes a bit longer but for me...that is ok.
Find what you like, hopefully close enough to get a fair shipping cost and enjoy.
Chris
Nutin better then Hard Wood!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Why are pellets so different form one company to another?
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:48:46 PM »
I have had great results with your perfect mix and plan on buying more to replenish my stows when they are low.

Lately the perfect mix has been used in my wood fired pizza oven giving me some fantastic wood fired pizzas ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
I went to your site today to try and order some perfect mix and I guess that you are still
in the upgrade process? Very few of the links worked today.  Will check later this week and
see if the upgrade has been completed.

Mike
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 09:45:22 PM »
I got to try a bag of the perfect mix sometime on the mak.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 10:12:52 PM »
You can't go wrong with perfect mix Sparky...Love 'em!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 09:07:20 AM »
I used to be able to buy perfect mix from a supplier in Buffalo N.Y.. only an hour from home and I would load up with 400lbs each time. Too bad the place stopped selling them, I really liked them. Cost too much to ship them to Canada... :(
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 09:16:36 AM »
You can't go wrong with perfect mix Sparky...Love 'em!

X2

I was able to buy a pallet in the spring with friends. All indications we will most likely be getting 2 when we order again.

Shipping costs were half the load :(
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 09:38:50 AM »
Frankly, I hate to be a party pooper here, but I cannot tell the difference between one pellet or the other. This is true for taste, i. e. flavor, and for cooking performance. Because neither of these is a choice determining issue, the one single factor of influence is price. Between Academy Sports and what they carry and Tractor Supply, I have my source of pellets, loaded into my vehicle, purchased in bulk and unloaded by my wife at the door.

The other point that I have to make is the "my" pellet smoker, a Yoder 480, is used mainly on long slow cooks of either brisket or pork butt and operates at 225 degrees most of the time. I have not yet used my pellet smoker over 350 degrees and I do not care to as I have a Weber Kettle that I use for direct grilling and other interesting ways that I have learned to deploy the device. Unfortunately, I have purchased Grill Grates for the Yoder, which I am sorry that I did, because they have never been used and probably will sit on my garage shelf until I die.

I guess it is all in the way you want to utilize your pellet smoker or grill and what taste or benefit you get from realizing the flavor of your particular benefit. I can't see it or taste it at this point in time.

That's my 2 cents on the pellet issue.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 02:22:38 PM »
Thanks for the kind words from you that gave! HighOnSmoke all should be working at the site! Sorry for any issues.
Scallywag, Don is only about 30minutes at most south of Boston..call him.
Don
Boston, NY
Phone Number: 716.432.7986
CDN Smoker the next time you order PLEASE do 2 pallets. I can get some really good rates when it is at least 2 pallets to a business!!!!!
I agree freight sucks!! We make no money on it and it is our biggest problem.
We are actually going to be in Vegas next week for a trade show to hopefully get some more dealers to help with the problem!!!
Veryolddog, You're not a party pooper..That's up to your wife to decide :D ??? :D 
Some people can't tell from one to another and some swear by the pellets and differences. I for 1 was a pellet user before I ever started to manufacture. I was unhappy with the brand I had and couldn't find better. So I started cookinpellets and went from there. I have 3 pellet grills and use most at 180 during summer until aboyut 5 hours into a smoke then up to 225.  During the winter I do mostly 225 on all of them. My wife on the other hand will kick them up to 450-550 for burgers and quick cooks for the kids. How about this.... I'll trade ya pellets for your Grill Grates! You can then try them, and get rid of something that is taking up space! All is need to verify is the size and if either of my square grill are large enough.

Chris

Offline SiFumar

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 10:32:21 PM »
Well if you get dealers in Las Vegas let me know!  Been wanting a pellet grill...but know nowhere here to get pellets nor know anyone who pellet smokes to share shipment. Thanks!
Pit Barrel Cooker
Bradley Original
Bradley Counter Top
SRG
Char Broil Grill

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 08:17:50 PM »
We are working on new dealers out west! that is our biggest issue..but we are working on it!!
we will let you know!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 08:41:44 PM »
Thanks for the web site update Chris!
Any plans for dealers in the south? Maybe Atlanta or Jacksonville?

Mike
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 09:19:28 PM »
Hi HighOnSmoke
We may be anouncing a pretty big deal within the next week or 2 that will include Atlanta!!!!
Keep those fingers crossed!!!!!!!1