Author Topic: WIFI question..  (Read 16787 times)

Offline dawrecknq

WIFI question..
« Reply #-1 on: November 08, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »
Getting ready to add the SSII to my Yoder 1320, I am tired of the unreliability of the Yoder controller. Even after I just put a new one in, it doesn't maintain consistent temps. I am convinced this is the way to go. Are all SSII wifi compatible and are there any android based apps that you know about. I found one Rock Stoker and the Cyber Q wifi; any feed back? I like the idea that it makes monitoring my grills so much easier. Along with being able to graph my cooks. As a beginning competition cook team, I need any advantage I can get.

Dan
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: WIFI question..
« on: November 08, 2013, 10:45:40 PM »
The SSII is not wifi compatible. If you pair it with a Rocks Stoker that does WiFi then you can control your pellet grill with the Stoker.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 12:13:48 PM »
Muebe....Thanks for the info; much appreciated. Will be adding that too.
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 02:01:37 PM »
Getting ready to add the SSII to my Yoder 1320, I am tired of the unreliability of the Yoder controller. Even after I just put a new one in, it doesn't maintain consistent temps. I am convinced this is the way to go. Are all SSII wifi compatible and are there any android based apps that you know about. I found one Rock Stoker and the Cyber Q wifi; any feed back? I like the idea that it makes monitoring my grills so much easier. Along with being able to graph my cooks. As a beginning competition cook team, I need any advantage I can get.

Dan

I thought Yoders had good PIDs.  I'm going to replace my Traeger Ortech with a Savannah II.  I haven't decided yet if I will buy a Rocks Stoker since I'd probably only use it for wifi and iphone applications and I'm pretty satisfied with my Maverick 732 (which I prefer over the Igrill) although it would be pretty cool to be 100 miles away and control your smoker...if only I could find someone to fill the hopper and put on the food I'd probably get the Rock's stoker.

Last time I checked Savannah Stoker II's were out of stock.  If you know of a place that has them in stock please let me know.
Traeger Texas Grill w Blazen Grill PID
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
ng converted great outdoors vertical smoker
dcs 24" built in ng grill
50,000 BTU ng side burner
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline GrillGeek

• www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com
WIFI question..
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 08:33:44 PM »
I'm curious too what you're seeing as far as unreliability with the Yoder controller. The 1320/1500 are without a doubt one of the most stable pits I've ever used.
Owner of Simi Pellet Grills- The Pellet Grill Outfitters
www.pelletgrilloutfitters.com

805-285-2618

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 06:08:34 PM »
I have been using Rock's Stoker interfaced with the SS going back to the initial prototype days and continue to use it.

Here is a post showing a video and pics of the Rocks Stoker managing temperature of my Royall interfaced through the Savannah Stoker II.

Rock’s Stoker Interfaced with the SSII, Managing my Royall Pellet Smoker.
http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2764.0

Here is one of the pics showing the capabilities of Rock's Stoker.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 07:46:21 PM »
Here is the deal with my 1320. Started keeping a log on the last 3 cooks, set at 225: my temps went any where from 190 to 380 and back and forth. It hit 380 on the Maverick and the little red lights were still stair stepping up. It never settled into one constant temp through the entire cook. I can live with a little fluctuation...but not like that.
Yoder just sent me a new board and fan and blocks... worked for about 3 cooks and now we are off to who knows where every cook.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 07:57:46 PM »
Quote from: dawrecknq on November 08, 2013, 04:07:24 PM

Dan

I found it a bit "telling" when the 1320 was on the market for a very short period of time, before it was replaced with a slightly larger unit. I did question whether it was due to the issues I had heard about the controller from folks I talked to.
The darned shame is that Yoder makes - hands down - the most heavy duty pits you can get. Period. Well crafted in all of the ways that traditional pit should be.
But, a pellet grill is not a traditional pit - and I have seen, and experienced controller issues on them. Love the company. THink the world of their iron. But I believe you are making a a smart decision in trying the Savannah Stoker II. It may also require some tweaking to get it where you want it, but I think the flexibility of their controller will help you a lot.
T

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 09:01:36 PM »
What I would like to see is an adaptor that will take a pin thermo couple
http://www.makgrills.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=49&=SID#MOREINFO

And allow me to use K type thermo couple
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/probe/tc_penetration.html

"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 11:08:19 PM »
T- somehow I missed your reply! Sorry my friend and thank you. I love the pit, do wish it was bigger, shoulda held out for a 1500 maybe. If your doing much cooking, the 2nd shelf is pretty much worthless. At the end of cook, you can hold food on it, but it is just really in the way for serious cooking. I have a good friend who is well versed in the SSII and uses them on his comp cookers, so I should be in good hands. Like you, I spent alot of time at comps last summer, fall talking to other Yoder owners. Seems everyone either loved the pit, hated the boards or simply hated the controllers. My next purchase after the SSII is the Rock Stoker..especially after seeing SS's post. That is what I am looking for.

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »
What I would like to see is an adaptor that will take a pin thermo couple
http://www.makgrills.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=49&=SID#MOREINFO

And allow me to use K type thermo couple
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/probe/tc_penetration.html
Excuse my ignorance but an adapter to what?
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 07:24:35 PM »
I have a MAK 2 Star smoker

The Pellet Boss controller allows three probes to be used. These thermocouples are the pin type that insert into the pellet boss.

I also have thermo works "K" style thermocouples. I actually prefer these as they are longer and heavier.

What I am asking is, has anyone seen an adaptor that would allow the K thermocouple to be used inthe Pellet Boss
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.