Author Topic: Why did you guys stop selling on Amazon???  (Read 1816 times)

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
Why did you guys stop selling on Amazon???
« Reply #-1 on: November 09, 2013, 04:10:35 PM »
So I have heard this a few times and let me explain why...
I'm not knocking Amazon but, it is not cheap to use! We are located in Wisconsin and the customers that will use Amazon are those the farthest from us, west mainly and  California, south east coast and the like. Not that that is bad because the freight that FEDEX charges from us to those places make it stupid to ship sometimes. But that is also an issue on Amazon. They have set freight rates so if someone closer to us orders it is costly via Amazon due to flat rate shipping.  If you are farther away then the fright is cheaper then our website. Our website figures exact rate quotes via a back end API that pulls the rates from fedex then shows on our site. Actually even though some people will go to the site and check freight it is giving them our discount also but, that doesn't always make it cheap enough for some to buy. WE MAKE NO MONEY ON SHIPPING COSTS!!! As far as Amazon goes...the cost of freight is so high on those that order far, far away or are just not close enough to one of our dealers that we actually lose money on those sales! Hey I'm a giving guy but momma makes me draw the line! ::) So, between Amazons costs ( over 10% of each sale) and FEDEX or anyone else we use to ship with , it just makes it a bad way to do business.
Yes others are using Amazon... I know. All I can say is we are a small company that makes ONLY pellets for the grill industry... we don't make pellets for the heating and grill industry like everyone else does. That is our choice. Yes it cost a bit more to do what we do plus the way we do our pellets is a bit different. That will be another post ....  We are working on getting more dealers to make it easier for those that want our products... tell your local dealer you want cookinpellets.com pellets!!!!!
Thanks
Chris
Nutin better then Hard Wood!

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: Why did you guys stop selling on Amazon???
« on: November 09, 2013, 06:40:29 PM »
It looks like they raised the free shipping to orders $35. or more instead of the old $25.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 07:55:12 PM »
Too bad the bags of pellets do not qualify for prime :-\

I will still get my supply from Eric at Pellet Grill Outfitters who carries Cookin Pellets Perfect Mix ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 09:44:07 PM »
chris - I understand.

Most folks don't consider that there are significant costs of doing business - freight, handling, customer service, invoicing, collecting, etc. beyond the cost of the product. Someone will pay for these. It will not be Amazon. And, if Amazon offers a great deal to the customer - these costs still have to be paid. That means they will be paid by the retailer / vendor / etc.

It's like a credit card or PayPal - there is a cost to use these. Someone will pay for it. In a very competitive environment, it will be the seller. At some point, the seller needs to make a business decision. Are the additional potential sales worth the cost I am paying right now. Amazon, like Wal-Mart has the ability to bring extremely low prices to consumers. The downside is this can destroy smaller specialty companies.

I like using Amazon - I am not bashing them or Wal-Mart. But, I also respect a retailer like Chris who says - enough - this doesn't work for me. Assuming I like his product, I will choose to buy from him in a way that makes sense for both his business and my pocketbook.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 12:43:17 AM »
I was involved in ordering a palet of your pellets and will gladly do so again ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 07:30:26 PM »
Chris, I recently purchased a 40 pound bag of Hickory from you and paid the shipping.  I am happy, happy, happy with the pellets.  I only use them in the AMAZIN pellet smoker. They burn great and they stay lit and burn to the very end.  I split the bag with my Son-in-Law and he is very happy with them also.  You have earned my business and I don't mind paying the freight.  While I smoke 2 to 3 times a week it will take me a while to go thru the 20 pounds  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

PoppyBill

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 04:45:27 PM »
I was involved in ordering a palet of your pellets and will gladly do so again ;D

x2. Fortunately another member close to me made it available. I only hope it's not too long before I can do it again. Your pellets are doing quite well in my Yoder.

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 08:16:18 PM »
Thanks all for understanding and supporting~!~!~
We do our best to ... well do our best at making this available at the best rate we can.
Actually sitting down with fedex and hoping to beat them up more!!! Time will tell.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Nutin better then Hard Wood!