Author Topic: Time to clean em up!!  (Read 1202 times)

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
Time to clean em up!!
« Reply #-1 on: April 03, 2014, 05:55:07 PM »
Just a note... this is the time of year that I do a  C O M P L E T E cleaning of my grills. Take out all the pellets from the bin/hopper, remove all dust buildup.
I vacuum out the ash pot with a cheap harbor freight car vac that I can clean easy enough. scrap down the ash buildup from inside the grill area. Change out any foil, empty grease traps or buckets and get it ready for the season. I do the same thing at the end of normal grilling season, late fall, but still use the grill all winter long.

For gas grills if they have been stored all winter... bring them out and remove all lava rocks or flavor rocks, metal, anything that will clean up. I take the burner tubes out and make sure no creepy crawlers have made nests in them at the end of last season... O blow them out and flush in soapy water then rinse well and let dry before replacing them. Amazing how much crude gets into outlets for the flames. Yes I do still use a gas grill but mostly as a food warmer for large parties.
For a Charcoal grill I just rinse, scrub with soapy water and rinse. Let dry and ready for the first cook of the season.

Let me know if I missed anything!
Smoke On!
Chris
Nutin better then Hard Wood!

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Time to clean em up!!
« on: April 03, 2014, 07:17:44 PM »
Good reminder,I'll get mine done next week.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 11:47:37 PM »
Sounds like you got it all covered.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 02:42:06 AM »
That is a great idea .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 03:19:25 AM »
Got my offset pretty good a few weeks ago.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 08:23:37 AM »
I'm gonna do a tear down and clean this weekend..My Mak is looking pretty rough after a winter of cooking on it.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 08:28:59 AM »
This is the downside of owning so many cookers  >:(

By the time I get one cleaned up and start in on the others, the first one is back to haunt me  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 10:48:56 AM »
Just a note... this is the time of year that I do a  C O M P L E T E cleaning of my grills. Take out all the pellets from the bin/hopper, remove all dust buildup.
I vacuum out the ash pot with a cheap harbor freight car vac that I can clean easy enough. scrap down the ash buildup from inside the grill area. Change out any foil, empty grease traps or buckets and get it ready for the season. I do the same thing at the end of normal grilling season, late fall, but still use the grill all winter long.

For gas grills if they have been stored all winter... bring them out and remove all lava rocks or flavor rocks, metal, anything that will clean up. I take the burner tubes out and make sure no creepy crawlers have made nests in them at the end of last season... O blow them out and flush in soapy water then rinse well and let dry before replacing them. Amazing how much crude gets into outlets for the flames. Yes I do still use a gas grill but mostly as a food warmer for large parties.
For a Charcoal grill I just rinse, scrub with soapy water and rinse. Let dry and ready for the first cook of the season.

Let me know if I missed anything!
Smoke On!
Chris

Can you come over to my house when you are done and clean mine? I will supply the beer.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 01:31:17 PM »
Love to come by twopockets but the wife has so much honeydo things on the list it will be winter before I get time!!!! ;)
Nutin better then Hard Wood!