Author Topic: Thinking about upgrading the UUNI  (Read 22577 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Thinking about upgrading the UUNI
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 09:54:57 PM »
Alrighty folks. I have made pizzas with the baking steel but I don't want to use that session as my source for the review. The reason being is that I cheated and made the pizzas on parchment paper and took them down on pans and then slid them from the pans into the UUNI. While this makes it easier than making them on the spot, worrying about them sliding or not, it absolutely defeats the whole purpose of getting the steel! After the pizza sets, I shimmy the paper out from under the pizza to let it sit on the steel for browning but it is being robbed of precious time on that steel. So....I will try again tomorrow, going to make some dough today and make pizzas for lunch tomorrow. This time, they will be made on the spot, slid off of the peel and once I get a fair assessment of the steel, I'll report back!

Use enough corn meal in the pan? I find that a fairly liberal amount of cornmeal works like bearings to get the dough moved, and keeps it from sticking pretty well.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 02:01:43 AM »
Alrighty folks. I have made pizzas with the baking steel but I don't want to use that session as my source for the review. The reason being is that I cheated and made the pizzas on parchment paper and took them down on pans and then slid them from the pans into the UUNI. While this makes it easier than making them on the spot, worrying about them sliding or not, it absolutely defeats the whole purpose of getting the steel! After the pizza sets, I shimmy the paper out from under the pizza to let it sit on the steel for browning but it is being robbed of precious time on that steel. So....I will try again tomorrow, going to make some dough today and make pizzas for lunch tomorrow. This time, they will be made on the spot, slid off of the peel and once I get a fair assessment of the steel, I'll report back!

Use enough corn meal in the pan? I find that a fairly liberal amount of cornmeal works like bearings to get the dough moved, and keeps it from sticking pretty well.

Yeah, that's what I normally do (semolina) but got lazy.:P
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 08:55:35 AM »
My dough comes out kinda sticky with the olive ol that I add..so I put it in flour and turn it around then on the peel. I have never needed corn meal.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline RG

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »
Well I have got the dough made. I will be making a pie later. I was going to make it for lunch but nachos prevailed. For dinner I will make it. It'll be an unusual pizza, an experimentation of sorts. Stay tuned!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline RG

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 06:33:46 PM »
Ok, test done. There was some good news and some bad. The good is that the steel rocked the house this time. Never using parchment again. The  bad news you ask? Well, I made the pizza in the house while the UUNI was getting toasty. By the time I got down to the UUNI and went to slide in the pizza........it put on the dang brakes! It was stuck to the UUNI peel! Made me SO mad, lol! I had dusted the UUNI peel with flour and did a test shimmy but then it still stuck. I had to flip it end over end and add flour and destroy the pretty round pizza I had slapped out but oh well. I eventually got it in there and cooked it, burned the flour on the crust but it was a step in the right direction. I didn't get a crust shot but it had nice leoparding, even with the excessive flour. From now on, I will make them at the UUNI like I did when I first used it and after that I should have it exactly as I want.

Just to cut some of you off at the pass so to speak, I have semolina but didn't use it. I also have cornmeal. Didn't use it either. So, maybe I was asking for it, lol.

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2016, 09:00:01 PM »
Looks great to me!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill