Author Topic: The Thanksgiving Thread  (Read 3627 times)

Offline psousa781

The Thanksgiving Thread
« Reply #-1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:09:01 AM »
Wanted to start a discussion around plans for Thanksgiving.  How are you all planning to use your PBC (or any other smoker(s) you have)? This is my first year with it so I’m going to go simple.  I was thinking it could be cool to all use the template below to share their plans. :)

Food - Turkey
Smoker - PBC
Fuel - Stubbs + Hickory chunk
Notes - will use a simple brine and traditional wet rub as this is my first rodeo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: The Thanksgiving Thread
« on: November 03, 2017, 09:18:57 AM »
I like your plan. Sounds like a winner.

Wendy and I have been married three years and we have never had a single Thanksgiving dinner in our own house. Either we were burying family or moving or she had to work. We were able last year to have Thanksgiving dinner at the Elks Lodge.

This year will be different. We have a super sweet double wall mount convection oven in our new place in Texas and that is going to get a work-out.

I am gonna grab a Butterball breast and even though it will just be us two this year, I want to smell that turkey roasting while I am watching football.

I also want some sweet taters and biscuits for sides.

Wendy works in a Doctors office at the rural clinic these days and they are closed for Thanksgiving so gosh darn-it, this might just happen this year  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Roget

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:55:44 AM »
I'm not going to go so simple as much as just turning down the volume this year.
It's going to be just V & me so I will try to be careful not to cook too much of any one thing.

Menu will be a turkey breast, mashed potatoes, yams, corn, green bean casserole, oyster dressing, homemade dinner rolls, & iced tea.
I probably will make a pie for dessert, but not sure what kind V will want.
As you can tell, I am a traditionalist when it comes to Thanksgiving.

The turkey will be cooked in the SRG (with a bit of smoke using a hickory/apple blend pellet.) 
The oyster dressing will be smoked in the Bradley using alder pucks.
Every thing else will be baked in the kitchen oven & on the stove top.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline psousa781

The Thanksgiving Thread
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 10:16:16 AM »
Smoke - I hope it all comes together for you!  Turkey and football sounds like a great plan. :)

Roget - for a “lower volume” plan that is still a fantastic spread you’re planning!

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 11:50:36 AM »
Ill be doing a Turducken stuffed with crawfish Jambalaya on the GMG JB pellet grill - Sides will be southern "dressin" (a distant cousin to cornbread stuffing) , and many others to be determined - probably the usual of green bean casserole, sweet tater casserole, pecan pie, broccoli slaw,

Offline psousa781

The Thanksgiving Thread
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 03:30:39 PM »
bspitt - sounds awesome!  We always have a traditional New England spread, is love to try other regional dishes sometime.

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 07:21:35 PM »
For the 5 year in a row, I will be smoking the turkey.  I used to do it in an electrical smoker, but the MAK makes it way easier.  I will also be making stuffing, rolls, gravy, and an apple pie cheesecake.  My mother in-law will be bringing the sweet potatoes, a berry pie, and a pumpkin pie.  My mother with be bringing the cliche string bean casserole, mash potatoes, and a cherry cobler dessert.  I like hosting Thanksgiving dinner so I don't have to travel 1.5 hours to my in-laws, and, since it's my house, I get control of the remote on the TV.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 12:45:30 AM »
It finally rained here in California last year and lake San Antonio finally came up and they re opened after being closed last year. The wife and I have enjoyed several Thanksgivings on the shoreline to ourselves so we have decided to do it again this year. WE plan to bring the PBC and have some friends coming to join in. Should be a good time weather permitting.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 09:01:19 AM »

This will be the 4th year I'll be doing the turkey in the PBC -- just too easy not to!

Butterball brand bird is already injected with salt water --- no need for  brine or injection
Rub with no or low salt/sugar rub.
Follow Noah's instructions on hanging and timing, double check deep thigh for 165 degrees then rest 30 min. before carving
Sides will be taters and gravy, stuffing and gravy, gravy, some pretty vegetable for color, gravy, and some kind of dessert.
Oh, yes -- did I mention we'll have GRAVY?

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 04:19:58 PM »
I like your plan. Sounds like a winner.

Wendy and I have been married three years and we have never had a single Thanksgiving dinner in our own house. Either we were burying family or moving or she had to work. We were able last year to have Thanksgiving dinner at the Elks Lodge.

This year will be different. We have a super sweet double wall mount convection oven in our new place in Texas and that is going to get a work-out.

I am gonna grab a Butterball breast and even though it will just be us two this year, I want to smell that turkey roasting while I am watching football.

I also want some sweet taters and biscuits for sides.

Wendy works in a Doctors office at the rural clinic these days and they are closed for Thanksgiving so gosh darn-it, this might just happen this year  :)

Good for you Smoke!!!!  I like the Norman Rockwell Turkey in the oven.  Must be my age lol
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 04:34:55 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks Thanksgiving gets better every year.

What is tough is my daughter is now a Vegan ??? ??? ??? ???

My wife & I do the Turkey in the oven with mashed potatoes, Turnips, & I do the Creamed onions with fresh & canned cranberry sauce.  My Mother in law will make a fresh pumpkin pie & green bean casserole others will do apple pie & stuffing. The Gravy will be homemade & store brought s we never have enough. The whipped cream for the pies will be homemade. Last but not least will be some white wine from Costco along with their hot buttered rolls. I do plan to do a small turkey breast in the "Tommy Ring" I mean the CB big easy lol.

I can't wait!!!!
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Pappymn

The Thanksgiving Thread
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 07:05:14 PM »
I usually spatchcock 2 small turkeys and flavor them to with different compound butters. I like smaller birds. Then mashed taters, stuffing, corn bread pudding. And rolls. Like The Smoke, I use my two wall ovens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 07:51:42 PM »
I usually spatchcock 2 small turkeys and flavor them to with different compound butters. I like smaller birds. Then mashed taters, stuffing, corn bread pudding. And rolls. Like The Smoke, I use my two wall ovens.

Pappy corn bread pudding sounds great
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 09:47:02 PM »
Looks like I'm tasked to oven roast one and deep fry one at SWMBO's daughter/son-in-law/granddaughter's house in Seattle. I make the turkey(s), stuffing, and gravy; the rest of the family and guests make the other (marginally important) stuff. I'm sure it will be the usual tasty good time as long as I don't freeze.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 07:40:03 AM »
Looks like I'm tasked to oven roast one and deep fry one at SWMBO's daughter/son-in-law/granddaughter's house in Seattle. I make the turkey(s), stuffing, and gravy; the rest of the family and guests make the other (marginally important) stuff. I'm sure it will be the usual tasty good time as long as I don't freeze.
Be sure to duct tape hand warmers to your shell....extra ones over the 'portant parts" ;D

Pap: - Can we get a recipe for THAT?! Sounds wonderful....And not common in the South. I have had it...got the Mrs. T to try in in one of our travels - and she loved it. Would make a nice Thanksgiving surprise for her if I can make some.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401