Author Topic: Turkey on the MAK  (Read 1957 times)

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
Turkey on the MAK
« Reply #-1 on: December 01, 2017, 05:10:18 PM »
I've been pellet smoking turkeys for Thanksgiving for over 20 years. Have always enjoyed them. They are 1000% better than oven roasted birds.  This year, our Thanksgiving was interrupted with a visit to the hospital, so my 14lb. turkey was on my MAK from 8:30AM until 7:45 PM on Smoke (175F). When we got home from the hospital, we cranked the MAK to 350F to finish off the bird.

It was too late for the "full meal deal" so we let the turkey cool down, wrapped it in plastic wrap and stuck it in the fridge, intending to heat it up on Friday and enjoying our Thanksgiving then.  Didnt happen. Back to ER on Friday. And a hospital stay through Sunday. FINALLY!!! Sunday night, we got to tuck into our Thanksgiving bird.

In ALL the years I've smoked turkeys, this was THE BEST EVER! So wonderfully smoky. When my wife cooked the carcass for soup, you could SMELL the smoke in the living room from the bones being boiled. It was amazing! Next year, I'll do the same thing, sans hospital. Just thought you might want to consider doing the same length of smoke if you're going to do a turkey sometime this holiday season, or next year. This is going to be my "go to" technique from here on out.
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline stalag

Re: Turkey on the MAK
« on: December 02, 2017, 12:49:02 AM »
It is nice when handed lemons that you end up with lemonade instead!
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline rwalters

Turkey on the MAK
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 01:57:41 AM »
Sounds YUM, but I’d be scared about how many hours that turkey spent in the danger zone between 40-140°.  Glad it turned out well though... and glad you and yours are home from the hospital :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 09:01:42 AM »
Sounds YUM, but I’d be scared about how many hours that turkey spent in the danger zone between 40-140°.  Glad it turned out well though... and glad you and yours are home from the hospital :)

scary thing is that salmonella hits about 3-4 days after the meal................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Turkey on the MAK
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 11:19:07 AM »

scary thing is that salmonella hits about 3-4 days after the meal................
I was thinking the same thing......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline FinsnFeathers

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 02:40:36 PM »
Nice method.....but try leaving out the ER thing!

Glad it all turned ok and hope you and your family are doing well!
MAK 2 Star General #3579

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 03:35:22 PM »
Is this a good recipe?  175 for a bunch of hours (covered?) then 350 until golden?

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 07:29:42 PM »

I was thinking the same thing......

As long as your INTERNAL meat temperature is above 140F you'll be fine. The smoke temp on my MAK is 175F,. higher than the "danger zone". The bird was un-stuffed, so that also was a big help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee