Author Topic: My two weeks using an Air Fryer (lots of pictures)  (Read 2288 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
My two weeks using an Air Fryer (lots of pictures)
« Reply #-1 on: February 01, 2018, 03:19:57 PM »
I bought and air fryer after many days and nights watching this site and Tom's YouTube channel. 

After seeing things that were done in them I just had to get one and talking Kimmie into it was no easy task.
She kept saying "Why do you need another cooker"?   I said because this thing cooks without oil and does it in
a way where it's close the Big Easy way of cooking.  Well with that she agreed to get one, so I asked for info
from folks here and outside the forum. Some said this was a good one some said no that one is better.

After a few weeks of thinking it over and looking at $$$$ I decided to go with the Air Fryer XL 5.3 qt.
Now I know these have their issues just like all products do, but the $$$ was right and I could have it that day
which gave me 14 days to play with it before going back to work after my surgery.  This was the main reason I
pulled the trigger on it. Now I know that sounds crazy and I'm nuts anyway but I could give it a run for 90 days
then take it back if not happy.  Being off for 14 days really gives me time to try things and I have believe me.

After reading issues with this unit and talking to forum members I knew what the weak spots were going to be
so I unboxed it and looked it over real good.  I ran it dry for a min to make sure there was no issues with
the controls then I washed the baskets and divider tray. Got it ready to use then noticed the door is kinda
strange the way it goes in, but once you figure it out it's all good.  Many issues I read about were the door
issues.  I think some people just forced their doors and they broke. I could be wrong but I could see how that
could be the case. The next thing I noticed was the way the basket sits in the grease tray. it's not supported
on the end which will cause long term wear on the handle, so I am looking into a way to support the basket
without hurting the finish.  This should help keep pressure off the handle/grease tray. 

I started with an easy bread mix, then I made a pizza from that recipe. From there I moved to making hamburgers
in it and Kimmie love it so much she has her own recipe/info book for this air fryer.

Next, I moved on to breakfast sausage keeping track of times and temps (for Kimmie) then we moved to BACON
and then candy bacon. I found with wings a 3 to 4 min preheat helps out a lot. With bacon or another small
meat the fan blows it all over the basket so having a wire grate or something to hold it in place would help a
lot.

All in all I'm pleased with this unit, not to say I'm overly impressed with the quality of the materials used
to make it BUT like a Bradley smoker there are good ones and bad ones. This seems to be holding up to the test
so far and I can see why folks have issues with it, but if (to me) you know what it is and how it's made (again
like a Bradely smoker) I feel this unit can go for awhile without issues.  For those that own a Bradley OBS you
know how the door would break or the lower panel would crack, but my Bradley is 8 years old and keeps going so
to me how you treat a cooker will determin how well it holds up. 

I will put it through a few more test before I decide if I think it will stay, but right now I have really no complants with it (but that can change) ::) ::)

Thanks to all that gave advice :thumbup:       
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: My two weeks using an Air Fryer (lots of pictures)
« on: February 01, 2018, 03:40:11 PM »
Congrats Tommy on your new cooker! Awesome looking cooks! Sure you haven't used one before?? ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 03:44:23 PM »
Congrats Tommy on your new cooker! Awesome looking cooks! Sure you haven't used one before?? ;)
Nope never have, but reminds me of a small Big Easy  :D :D :D :D So I feel good about trying things and kinda having ideas on what will and wont work
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 03:51:26 PM »
Great write up Tommy but I do have one question "do you really need another cooker" ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D LOL

I have this on a short list too. Next years budget.

Thanks for your review as always...I like what you said an indoor big easy ;D ;D ;D ;D

Enjoy it
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 03:54:12 PM »
Great write up Tommy but I do have one question "do you really need another cooker" ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D LOL

I have this on a short list too. Next years budget.

Thanks for your review as always...I like what you said an indoor big easy ;D ;D ;D ;D

Enjoy it
That is what Kimmie said, my answer was YES  :D :D :D  The timing was right for a good test and I couldn't buy one this size for the price anywhere so I pulled the trigger and hope for the best
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Pappymn

My two weeks using an Air Fryer (lots of pictures)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 03:54:18 PM »
Looks like you are an expert already. The bottom under the basket will most likely flake off. Drives many people crazy. Mine did. Doesn't bother me. As I knew it would happen. Like I you said not great materials used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 03:57:07 PM »
Looks like you are an expert already. The bottom under the basket will most likely flake off. Drives many people crazy. Mine did. Doesn't bother me. As I knew it would happen. Like I you said not great materials used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it does no bigger, but the basket seems loose in the tray so I can see where that will be a long term issue.  I'm looking at making a leg for the end of the basket to sit flat in the tray so it will stay steady and not put undue stress on the plastic tray
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 04:00:38 PM »
Congrats on the new Cooker Tommy!  Like the idea of supporting the back side of the inner basket that should take some stress off the latch that holds the two together.  Nice lookin Chow!  :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Agustine

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 04:12:25 PM »
Thanks for your run down. I been thinking about pulling the trigger on a air fryer myself but not to sure on which one would suit me best.
This one is one sale for a 100 bucks off. So many good and bad reviews on all of them makes deciding which one to but that much harder. :)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t-fal-acti-fry-2-in-1-tray-0431456p.html#srp
It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicle that you realize that violence is never the answer.

Offline Roget

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 05:08:28 PM »
Looks like you have been putting it through it's paces Tommy.
IMHO an air fryer is not good at everything, but it does a good job at a lot of small jobs.
Quick, easy to use, & easy to clean up.
You can't beat that combination.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »
Thanks for your run down. I been thinking about pulling the trigger on a air fryer myself but not to sure on which one would suit me best.
This one is one sale for a 100 bucks off. So many good and bad reviews on all of them makes deciding which one to but that much harder. :)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t-fal-acti-fry-2-in-1-tray-0431456p.html#srp

That particular unit is not a true "air fryer" - as it requires a tablespoon or 2 of oil. Works by a different set of rules....However the Phillips unit in the lower right corner of the page in your link is a true - oil-free air fryer.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 07:03:33 PM »
Tommy - you will have fun with it. It can do a lot of things - more than just fry.....it will convection bake, etc. Still prefer cooking outside on my MAK - but, man - this thing can really help out when the weather is bad - or I need a side dish in a hurry.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 07:14:16 PM »
Tommy - you will have fun with it. It can do a lot of things - more than just fry.....it will convection bake, etc. Still prefer cooking outside on my MAK - but, man - this thing can really help out when the weather is bad - or I need a side dish in a hurry.

Tee my ovens have the convection bake feature (I love it but my wife does not) so does this unit besides, smaller, quicker have any other advantages as far as the convection bake feature goes over a regular oven or are they the same.
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 07:16:30 PM »

Tee my ovens have the convection bake feature (I love it but my wife does not) so does this unit besides, smaller, quicker have any other advantages as far as the convection bake feature goes over a regular oven or are they the same.

My kitchen ovens have convection...but not to the same degree as these "air fryers". The smaller chamber and higher fan rate/air-thru put make for a better crisping of most foods. And they are much more energy efficient, easy to clean and require little storage space. Pretty neat tool.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 07:17:51 PM »

Now I need you to talk to my wife ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)   As always Thanks it is on my list

My kitchen ovens have convection...but not to the same degree as these "air fryers". The smaller chamber and higher fan rate/air-thru put make for a better crisping of most foods. And they are much more energy efficient, easy to clean and require little storage space. Pretty neat tool.
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill