Author Topic: CLARIFICATION FOR THE TERM "AIR FRYER"  (Read 2226 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: CLARIFICATION FOR THE TERM "AIR FRYER"
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 09:45:47 AM »
Sorry all.
My intention was certainly not to be argumentative.

I don't think anyone interpreted your comments that way Rog. I didn't, at least....We can discuss, and banter ideas about all day long - as long we are being respectful here. And - we do not have to agree on everything. How boring would that be? ;D

We are all playing with a new-ish tool for our cooking. There are no "standards" in the marketing, or naming of products. And, when I began to see some divergence in what is being sold as an air fryer....I just figured it may help us - but as importantly - anyone else searching on line for information about them - if we create something in term of a "code" for explaining quickly - which kind of air fryer.

Some folks are on restrictive diets - either by choice, or as an elective. Others are searching for ways to stay healthy longer and modifying their prep methods and ingredients lists.

And some of us don't want to hear that...( O..K...I often identify in this camp :D :D :D)

Regardless - ALL have valid needs, based on their situation.

The Air Fryer, Sous Vide and Instant Pot are 3 cokes tools that I believe can improve anyones outdoor cooking. Because they act as supporting cast members - to bring a meal to the table faster, or with some healthier options.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 07:23:23 PM »
OK, it is "Saturday night and the moon is right". We have a full Blood Moon shining. But how can you "fry" something in air? You can bake it or roast it but how can you fry it? I am sorry but I am just an old dumb country boy, frying requires a pan, grease and heat
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 07:42:11 PM »
OK, it is "Saturday night and the moon is right". We have a full Blood Moon shining. But how can you "fry" something in air? You can bake it or roast it but how can you fry it? I am sorry but I am just an old dumb country boy, frying requires a pan, grease and heat

Ken...I guess it is the same as you can "fry" a turkey in a Char Broil Big Easy or SRG..they are sold as "oil-less turkey fryers". They are actually high heat convection ovens.
But, your point is well taken - and another example of what I was saying in some of my posts in this thread: There is confusion due to marketing language, and no standards for definitions. Some of these units use oil and some do not.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Roget

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 07:43:05 PM »
It is a bit of a misnomer.
I think a better name would be "air cooker".

It does give foods a crispness that is hard to get with other cookers (in the short amount of time the "air fryer" takes).

Whatever it is, it puts out some good grub in a short amount of time.  ;)

YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 12:17:52 AM »
I don't have either one so I don't know anything about them but didn't one of you folks once post that an air fryer was really a mini-convection oven? If so, problem solved.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 08:34:20 AM »
I don't have either one so I don't know anything about them but didn't one of you folks once post that an air fryer was really a mini-convection oven? If so, problem solved.

They are Turtle...*BUT*....there are some that still require you to add oil. So....those are not trueconvection only...

The addition of oil - for some - maybe many - really prevents the rationale for WHY we wanted this tool in the first place. To have another speedy, bad weather or healthier option. Now one questions the "healthier" aspect if you have to add oil.
That is why I called attention to this. We tend to make assumptions of parity among brands based on the marketing language used by the manufacturer....shame that all "marketing language" does not come on a neatly perforated, soft 2 ply roll...... ;) :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 03:21:33 PM »

Ken...I guess it is the same as you can "fry" a turkey in a Char Broil Big Easy or SRG..they are sold as "oil-less turkey fryers". They are actually high heat convection ovens.
But, your point is well taken - and another example of what I was saying in some of my posts in this thread: There is confusion due to marketing language, and no standards for definitions. Some of these units use oil and some do not.

I have always called my Big Easy a roaster. It cooks amazing food, but does not fry. Gotta love marketing guys. I do rub  a bit of oil on my birds that I  put in The Big Easy to make the skin crispy. Whatever you call it, it cooks good food. For the Super Bowl I made some of my world famous (well famous in Alabama) Birmingham Wings. I season the wings with Tony C's but iif I want to keep it absolutely Birmingham I use Pileletri"s seasoning from Mr. P's Butcher Shop and Deli in Birmingham. Quite possibly one of the best in the world. He makes a whole line of spices right in the deli and is a wonderful butcher. He is old school and an artist.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware