Author Topic: Turkey Timing Question  (Read 728 times)

Offline Hub

Turkey Timing Question
« Reply #-1 on: November 25, 2016, 06:59:43 AM »
Last year (Thanksgiving 2015) I did a 14.4 lb. bird in the PBC using the then-new PBC turkey hanger.  Took a little over four hours to get to 165 in the deep thigh.  Delicious and moist.  This year I did a 13.7 lb. bird, same brand, same hanger, same rub, same prep, same charcoal lit the same way.  Ambient outdoor temperatures "warm fall day" both times.  Checking the temp at three hours I discovered the deep thigh temp was 188 so I pulled immediately and FTC'ed until serving time.  White meat was a little dry but not too bad.  Dark meat was no different than prior year. 

I'm puzzled that a mere .7lb. difference would have caused such a difference in cooking times.  From my competition experience I know that no two briskets ever cook the same way so maybe turkeys have the same trait?  Anyone else get similar results?

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Turkey Timing Question
« on: November 25, 2016, 09:25:26 AM »
I have found that sometimes, it the shape of the bird itself, that will cause a difference, especially roasting your bird..I did mine in the SRG..mine was done way done. 173ºish yesterday, but a lil red at the joints still..I'm thinking , fat legs on my bird....anyway that is what I'm blaming it on.  just sayin  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron