Author Topic: Big Box en route Pork Butts for first cook  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Curtislowe

• WOW Fan
Big Box en route Pork Butts for first cook
« Reply #-1 on: December 03, 2016, 12:56:57 PM »
Just ordered my first PBC yesterday.  hoping to get it in time to cook 2,8-10 lb pork  butts next Friday.  I have 3 to do for a birthday party and I was planning on smoking one in the electric smoking-it, and  2 on the PBC.  Is that feasible?  Any pointers?  In the mean time, I will study up on the discussions here.
PBC
SMOKIN-IT # 1
PK 360
GRILL GRATES
DorkFood DSV
Savor Spices

Offline hikerman

Re: Big Box en route Pork Butts for first cook
« on: December 03, 2016, 01:49:48 PM »
This very feasible!  You will enjoy your new PBC and congrats!  :thumbup:

Offline Curtislowe

• WOW Fan
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 05:51:43 PM »
thanks, I have been away from the forum for awhile and contacted Tee earlier this week for my holiday order of spices, which led to me getting back on the forum and realizing that I need/want a new toy.  I was holding out for the new PK, but after researching it, I made the decision to go with the PBC that I have been reading about for years on this site instead, since the PK is not the large charcoal grill that I understood was coming, and, frankly, because I have heard so much about the PBC.
PBC
SMOKIN-IT # 1
PK 360
GRILL GRATES
DorkFood DSV
Savor Spices

Offline Curtislowe

• WOW Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 05:53:52 PM »
has anyone outfitted their PBC with Grill Grates for Steak or chop cooking?  if so, please direct me to the thread or provide feedback, i will reserve my assumptions for good reason.  thanks in advance.
PBC
SMOKIN-IT # 1
PK 360
GRILL GRATES
DorkFood DSV
Savor Spices

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 09:51:02 PM »
Congratulations...you are going to love that PBC.

Hints:
1...watch all PBC videos
2...First few cooks do exactly what Noah says(no matter how much you know)
3...Repeat number one ..lol
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 09:53:12 PM »
Will be looking for you pictures of your first pork butts in the PBC.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 10:26:37 PM »
Hmmmm.. PBC mods, have done a couple there in the video section, I would highly recommend installing a lower rack for a stone for indirect cooking, especially since you want to do 2 butts. My first experience had the fat drippings extinguishing the coals. Tried again after the mods and all went well.
Good luck.  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline JimmyV

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 03:19:48 PM »
Two butts is no problem on the PBC. I typically do 2 when I'm making pulled pork. Down here in North Carolina when ever you make it all your friends and family want some. Congrats on your new toy and enjoy it! I know I have.  8)

Offline zak99b5

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 10:53:44 AM »
has anyone outfitted their PBC with Grill Grates for Steak or chop cooking?  if so, please direct me to the thread or provide feedback, i will reserve my assumptions for good reason.  thanks in advance.
I am sure you could, but I just use my Weber Performer with a Slow-n-Sear for steaks and the like.
PBC
22" Weber Performer with Slow-n-Sear

Offline Kona

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 11:28:04 AM »

I use the setup as is for steaks and chops. I just let the coals get screaming hot and they come out perfect with a nice crust.

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Curtislowe

• WOW Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 02:01:24 AM »
Had the PBC for several weeks now, here's the report:  I am pleased and it is everything I thought it would be after reading many comments on this forum.  I've cooked spatchcocked chickens, pork shoulder, ribs, turkey, steaks, and prime rib on it so far with outstanding results for the most part.  The only issues I've had is with the fat from the pork shoulder extinguishing the coals and a follow up order of the turkey hanger and hinged grate not being delivered as promised, but I made do with a turkey fryer hanger, and it was during Christmas , so no big deal considering the stress on fed ex or UPS.  Just hope it eventually shows up as I paid extra for priority.  The rubs that come with the PBC are really really good, and the flavor is outstanding.  Watch the air intake as it can close up and choke off air.  Portability is good for the size.  Overall a great value!
PBC
SMOKIN-IT # 1
PK 360
GRILL GRATES
DorkFood DSV
Savor Spices

Offline zak99b5

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 10:55:04 AM »

I use the setup as is for steaks and chops. I just let the coals get screaming hot and they come out perfect with a nice crust.

That steak looks great.
PBC
22" Weber Performer with Slow-n-Sear