Author Topic: Grease at the bottom of the PBC  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Merrick Bill

Grease at the bottom of the PBC
« Reply #-1 on: December 11, 2016, 12:53:44 PM »
As many of you know, I used my new Pit Barrel Cooker for the first time last night.  When I removed the charcoal basket and ash pan I noticed a pool of grease at the bottom of the cooker.  Is this normal?  Should it be removed after each cook?  Today I let it cool down and I scraped it out with my charcoal hoe.  Based on the amount I scraped out, it seems like this could build of very quickly and cause a grease fire.

Any thoughts?

Bill
Large Big Green Egg, Traeger BBQ075, NBBD, La Caja China, Brinkman All-In-One, Weber Q200, Weber Q220, Weber Q320, WSM, and more Weber kettles than I care to admit.

Offline hikerman

Re: Grease at the bottom of the PBC
« on: December 11, 2016, 01:46:24 PM »
Bill what most people do, is put a sheet of lg. heavy duty foil in bottom, being careful not to block vent. Then your charcoal basket goes on top. You can hust carefully remove, discard and replace each time.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 01:55:54 PM »
I never really have a problem with grease. Most of it is vaporized when it hits the hot coals when I cook in mine.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 02:00:22 PM »
2 layers of foil in the bottom of mine PBC.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Kona

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 03:07:46 PM »
I haven't had any issue with grease. I just use a pizza pan under my coal basket
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 03:38:38 PM »
I had that issue just once and that's when I did two pork shoulders and the grease put out the fire. Since then I have adapted the PBC and all is well... :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 06:13:16 PM »
HD foil is the way to go.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 08:16:44 PM »
Had my PBC over a year and never had that problem. I do use a 18 inch pizza pan in bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UBI2OA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 07:15:25 AM »
Hmmmm.  I've cooked a lot of greasy, fatty stuff in my PBC but I've never had this problem -- all I ever get is the charcoal ashes in the bottom.  Sounds like maybe your fire isn't getting hot enough to burn it off.  Maybe Noah will jump in and offer up a cause and solution.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 09:01:41 AM »
Hmmmm.  I've cooked a lot of greasy, fatty stuff in my PBC but I've never had this problem -- all I ever get is the charcoal ashes in the bottom.  Sounds like maybe your fire isn't getting hot enough to burn it off.  Maybe Noah will jump in and offer up a cause and solution.

Hub

I would imagine the fire was hot enough since it cooked the ribs in the exact amount of time I expected (4 hours and 15 minutes). 

Some people suggested putting foil or a pan on the bottom of the cooker, but that since the only access is from the top, that seems like a lot of messy work.  I may just continue to scrape up the cold grease with my charcoal hoe. 

Bill
Large Big Green Egg, Traeger BBQ075, NBBD, La Caja China, Brinkman All-In-One, Weber Q200, Weber Q220, Weber Q320, WSM, and more Weber kettles than I care to admit.

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 10:18:34 AM »

Hub

I would imagine the fire was hot enough since it cooked the ribs in the exact amount of time I expected (4 hours and 15 minutes). 

Some people suggested putting foil or a pan on the bottom of the cooker, but that since the only access is from the top, that seems like a lot of messy work.  I may just continue to scrape up the cold grease with my charcoal hoe. 

Bill

Bill this may sound like more work but I did install three pegs actually screws and nuts about 6" above the handle of the coal basket this allow me to put a diffuser stone covered in tin foil that i then replace as needed, or if I'm doing a greaser cook such as pork shoulders Ill put a pan with a little water to catch the drippings the video is in the the video section. Hopefully this helps  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 10:23:49 AM »

Hub

Bill

Bill this may sound like more work but I did install three pegs actually screws and nuts about 6" above the handle of the coal basket this allow me to put a diffuser stone covered in tin foil that i then replace as needed, or if I'm doing a greaser cook such as pork shoulders Ill put a pan with a little water to catch the drippings the video is in the the video section. Hopefully this helps  :)

Sorry the video is called Pit Barrel Cooker Lower Shelf Modification  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 09:12:47 PM »

Hub

Bill

I'll have to check out that video.  Sounds like a cool idea.

Bill

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 01:26:50 PM »
I never really have a problem with grease. Most of it is vaporized when it hits the hot coals when I cook in mine.

Ditto!

I have had a few occasions when the grease has partially extinguished my charcoal.
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano