Author Topic: Hello, everyone; another Southern Californico checking in  (Read 4086 times)

Offline TwoPockets

Re: Hello, everyone; another Southern Californico checking in
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 05:55:01 PM »
I don't brew beer but I can sure drink them ;D

Welcome from Southern California.

I bought one of those Mr Beer kits just to see what making my own beer might be like. Took nearly a month to get it brewed and aged and only a couple of hours to drink it all up. I am more into instant gratification.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Sloman

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 06:45:15 PM »
Jo3sh, welcome from another new member!! Yes, I saw you beat me by 30,minutes.  They probably know me and were trying to decide whether to let me in or not.  This should be fun!!

Offline Jo3sh

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 07:58:18 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I'm glad so many of you have volunteered your efforts in the War on Pork.

I bought one of those Mr Beer kits just to see what making my own beer might be like. Took nearly a month to get it brewed and aged and only a couple of hours to drink it all up. I am more into instant gratification.

It's true that there are easier ways to get beer. I tell people that all the time. I'm WAY past the Mr. Beer stage, though - I do ten-gallon batches, working from grain rather than extract, and I brew about 130 gallons a year.
Join me in the War on Pigs! Together, we can rid the world of the porcine scourge.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 08:15:58 PM »
Jo3sh I live about 30 minutes from the microbrew capitol of the U.S. - Asheville NC.  And now - New Belgium and Sierra Nevada are building their new breweries in Asheville as we speak...Oskar Blue is building one about 10 minutes from me in Brevard NC.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Jo3sh

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 08:28:26 PM »
Nice! The funny thing about California is that San Diego has a boatload of really top-notch breweries, and NorCal has a bunch too, but Los Angeles has been a wasteland for years. Fortunately that is turning around some, with some small places opening up.
Join me in the War on Pigs! Together, we can rid the world of the porcine scourge.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 08:58:43 PM »
Nice! The funny thing about California is that San Diego has a boatload of really top-notch breweries, and NorCal has a bunch too, but Los Angeles has been a wasteland for years. Fortunately that is turning around some, with some small places opening up.

One of my favorite microbrews is from San Francisco called Anchor Steam. There are some quality California micro-brews available.

I have some really good micro-breweries/restaurants in my town also. It is a trend that I really like ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Jo3sh

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 09:10:37 PM »
One of my favorite microbrews is from San Francisco called Anchor Steam.

Anchor is definitely world-class, and its former owner, Fritz Maytag (yes, same family as the washing machines), is arguably the single person who revived craft brewing in the US after Prohibition. I'm a little disappointed that Fritz sold the brewery a few years ago, but I still highly recommend that anyone who has the chance take the brewery tour there. You have to book ahead as it fills up, and you should take a cab or public transit, because parking is an issue and because they will happily pour tastes as long as you keep drinking them - at least they did last time I was there, in 2007.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 09:47:02 PM »
I would love to take that tour.

I had a full tour of the Corona factory down in Mexico several years ago. Man did they feed us whales of Pacifico and Corona... What a trip!

I am also a big fan of Dogfish Head and my number one beer of choice is Chimay.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 10:18:38 PM »
Another welcome from another Southern Californian.  I'm a barbecuer and a beer drinker, and I'm circling around trying my hand at home brewing.  I've been to a couple of home brew stores on their introduction nights just to see what it's all about, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.  Where are you in SoCal and which home brew shops do you like?

Bill
Large Big Green Egg, Traeger BBQ075, NBBD, La Caja China, Brinkman All-In-One, Weber Q200, Weber Q220, Weber Q320, WSM, and more Weber kettles than I care to admit.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
I hope that some of you will take advantage of the forum section we have set up for wine/beer/spirits - and start some great threads about home brewing!
Could also be tied into pairing beer with food - and best beers for use in cooking, etc.......
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Hornzbee

• Hooterville, NC
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 11:16:24 PM »
...been a homebrewer and beer geek for about 20 years now, so if we have any off-topic discussions along that line, I'll be happy to chime in. I also fly high-power rockets out in the Mojave desert..

Welcome Jo3sh.
Wow! Home brewing and high power rocketry...both very familiar to me.  I once had an idea to cut the ends off some of the cans (steel) in my beer can collection, weld em together, slap an old cone top on for the nose cone ...stick a baby H in its butt and see what happened! Been a couple of years since I've put anything up though I still have some engines in the basement. When the ATF started uber regulating I pretty much got out....but I love it.  I guess youve been to a few LDRS's in your time eh?  We have the Freedom Launch here and there always a blast...pun intended. Luckily I also live right next to a beer city.  Soon we'll have not only have about a dozen brewpubs but Sierra Nevada, Dales and New Belgium in our backyard.  Looking forward to brew and food paring ideas.  Been looking into distillation as well.  Glad youre here!

Yoder YS640
Bradley 6 Shelf
& some cruddy old gas grill

Offline Jo3sh

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 01:13:51 AM »
I've been to a couple of home brew stores on their introduction nights just to see what it's all about, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.  Where are you in SoCal and which home brew shops do you like?

I'm in Ventura county, just outside LA county. The homebrew shop I visit most often is the Home, Beer, Wine and Cheese Making shop in Woodland Hills, near Ventura and Fallbrook. I buy malt in bulk (usually a couple hundred pounds or so) about once a year at Beer, Beer, and More Beer out in Riverside, and I tend to order hops online several pounds at a go. Online shops I like are morebeer.com (the online presence of the shop in Riverside) and northernbrewer.com, which is in Minnesota.

Brewing is actually pretty simple to start with. Like BBQ and most other hobbies, though, it tends to snowball over time. It's not for everyone, but for those who like it, it's really rewarding. Like BBQers, brewers tend to be pretty sociable and mellow folks.

Offline Jo3sh

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 01:27:26 AM »
Wow! Home brewing and high power rocketry...both very familiar to me.  I once had an idea to cut the ends off some of the cans (steel) in my beer can collection, weld em together, slap an old cone top on for the nose cone ...stick a baby H in its butt and see what happened! Been a couple of years since I've put anything up though I still have some engines in the basement. When the ATF started uber regulating I pretty much got out....but I love it.  I guess youve been to a few LDRS's in your time eh?  We have the Freedom Launch here and there always a blast...pun intended. Luckily I also live right next to a beer city.  Soon we'll have not only have about a dozen brewpubs but Sierra Nevada, Dales and New Belgium in our backyard.  Looking forward to brew and food paring ideas.  Been looking into distillation as well.  Glad youre here!

The ATF actually got sued about that whole thing and they have backed off some. APCP no longer requires a LEUP, for one thing. Here in CA, flying rockets is kind of a pain, but it can be done. I've only been flying for about a year, but I am certified level 2 and my uncle (also L2) and I have started making research motors.

On Saturday, in fact, I will be out in the desert with my rocket AROMA FULL OF RUM (long story). I've been flying it on J motors and eventually I am hoping to get a K in it. The rocket is all fiberglass, 6'7" tall, and launch weight of about 11 pounds. With a mid-J in it, it got 4905 feet last month. Not sure what will happen this month - either I will fly the research load we made, or I will fly another J.

I need to build something larger to take Ls. If I do it right, I might even get a rocket I can also fly Ms in, and do L3 with it. Big rockets are expensive, though.

I've never been to LDRS, but I am hoping to go to BALLS next September. The goal by then is to be flying pretty large research motors reliably. I'm going to have to start building 3" and 4" motor cases, though.

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 07:57:27 AM »

Very cool hobbies indeed.   Get some pictures!

My childhood rocketry background was limited to an Estes Big Bertha...   ;)   Lost it in Dad's corn field when a gust of wind carried it away.    :-[

Offline Merrick Bill

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 11:51:32 AM »
Home, Beer, Wine and Cheese Making shop in Woodland Hills is the one I go to, as well.  I like to pop by when the Maltose Falcons meet because I get to try a lot of home brew beers.

Bill
Large Big Green Egg, Traeger BBQ075, NBBD, La Caja China, Brinkman All-In-One, Weber Q200, Weber Q220, Weber Q320, WSM, and more Weber kettles than I care to admit.