Author Topic: Rocketry picture dump  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Jo3sh

Rocketry picture dump
« Reply #-1 on: October 26, 2012, 01:00:17 AM »
I'm not 100% sure this is the best place for this, but I can't really see anywhere else it fits.

Over in my introduction thread, there was some interest in my rocketry-related exploits. This is an album of pictures I dumped off my phone today related to that topic:

http://imgur.com/a/8dLQV#0

There are more than 100 pics there. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

On Saturday, in fact, I will be out in the desert with my rocket AROMA FULL OF RUM (long story). I've been flying it on J motors and eventually I am hoping to get a K in it. The rocket is all fiberglass, 6'7" tall, and launch weight of about 11 pounds. With a mid-J in it, it got 4905 feet last month. Not sure what will happen this month - either I will fly the research load we made, or I will fly another J.

I need to build something larger to take Ls. If I do it right, I might even get a rocket I can also fly Ms in, and do L3 with it. Big rockets are expensive, though.

I've never been to LDRS, but I am hoping to go to BALLS next September. The goal by then is to be flying pretty large research motors reliably. I'm going to have to start building 3" and 4" motor cases, though.

Woah! M's? Yeah, you are talkin money...a lot.  Not that its not worth it.  It also takes a lotta time.  We need to post some videos so these folks understand what we're talkin about here.  At that level, when peeps see it they are stunned by it. And when they are actually witness to it live, in-person they really understand!

I think it's pretty unlikely I will fly a certified M and get L3 anytime soon. I do know where there's a motor case I can borrow, but just the fuel for that flight costs about $500 - and that doesn't count the rocket. The nice thing about research is that it's less expensive (at least it is if you only count the materials). A 3-grain, 54mm J motor costs about 1/3 the price to make our own as it does to buy a commercial load.
Join me in the War on Pigs! Together, we can rid the world of the porcine scourge.

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Rocketry picture dump
« on: October 26, 2012, 08:20:54 AM »
Wow!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Rocketry picture dump
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 08:29:48 AM »
Now those are some big rockets!

Looks like your coming up my way to launch them. Do you launch them at El Mirage?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Jo3sh

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 10:31:59 AM »
We launch out east of Mojave, near North Edwards and Cal City.

I should mention that not every one of those rockets is mine. The really BIG one (12" diameter x 7 feet tall) is actually my uncle's L3 project.
Join me in the War on Pigs! Together, we can rid the world of the porcine scourge.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 01:21:01 PM »
I work in Cal City quite a bit. You launch out by Jawbone?
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline Jo3sh

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »
Outside of Aerial Acres, actually. I'm not sure how that relates to Jawbone.

Here's the club's site, which includes directions to get to the launch site, if you want to see some HP rockets:
http://mdars.info/

I'll be out there tomorrow, hopefully by 9. I'll have the big orange rocket with me and I will be wearing a shirt that is a color other than red.

Right now, it's windy as heck here near the coast, but reports are of single-digit winds out in the desert. If it gets windy like it was in May, we probably will not even try to fly.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:27:29 PM by Jo3sh »

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 04:00:46 PM »
Would love to bring my daughter out there. She is 4 and would probably get a kick out of it. Got a party in the afternoon to go to though.

Thanks for the info
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline Jo3sh

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 04:30:13 PM »
Might be kinda loud for a 4-year-old, honestly, but you'd be welcome to show up and see what it's like. We generally wrap up by 3 or so at the latest, but you can stay as little or as long as you like.

Offline Jo3sh

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 09:14:48 AM »
Wunderground is reporting calm conditions at North Edwards. Today is going to be an amazing day for rockets.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 09:33:21 AM »
Won't be able to make it out today :( but maybe next time.

Never thought about how loud they are. When I mentioned rockets to my daughter her face just lit up! I would need to bring her ear plugs I guess.

If you brew some beer you need "tested" you can drop it off at my house anytime you like. I will gladly test it's quality for you. I am just off the 14 FWY ;)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline Jo3sh

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 09:35:45 PM »
So those of you who have flown model rockets remember the motors used for that. They are about 3/4 inch in diameter and something like 2+1/2 inches long. You could get them in four basic ranges when I was a teenager: A, B, C and D. Each letter is twice as powerful as the previous letter, so a C is four times as powerful as an A and so on. With a really powerful motor and a rocket weighing a few ounces, you could see flights of about 1500 feet.

But now I have grown up and I like stronger stuff.

This is a J motor. It's over 2 inches in diameter and about 13 inches long. Rather than compressed black powder, these use a composite propellant that is about 3 times as powerful per volume. Since the doubling per successive letter continues, we can see that this is 512 times as powerful as an A motor. There's about a pound of propellant in that aluminum case, and it took my 11-pound rocket to a reported altitude of 4905 feet today.

Today's launch was doubly cool because I got exactly the same reported altitude last month on a commercially-produced motor of the same size; this one is one my uncle and I made for about 1/3 the cost.

Here's my rocket just before I elevated the launch rail:

And here it is as recovered:

Another great thing about the day was that there was a Scout troop from Santa Barbara camping nearby and launching model rockets. They came by to say hi, and we did a little show and tell for them with some of our rockets and motors and avionics and such. They had also found a rocket out in the desert, and it turned out to be one my uncle had lost in September. We came home with more rockets that we went with, which is kind of unusual for us.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 09:39:48 PM by Jo3sh »

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 09:30:41 AM »
Very cool!
I wish I was close enough and I had the extra time!!!!
Nutin better then Hard Wood!

Offline CaptJack

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 10:04:29 AM »
Very KEWL
King of the OldSmokey