Author Topic: New Knives  (Read 1603 times)

Offline old sarge

New Knives
« Reply #-1 on: January 13, 2016, 10:11:21 PM »
I finally decided to buy knives strictly for outdoor cooking rather than using our  kitchen knives.  And I needed to replace what comes in those one size fits all accessory kits with tongs, spatula, knife, etc.  I wanted knives that should I knick the edge cutting into a piece of meat on the grill and hitting the grill I would not have to listen to a lecture. And while I am careful, I have manages to cut into a grate once in a while. So shopping around on the internet I stumbled across Rada which I remember my folks having when I was a kid growing up in the 50's. I got nostalgic and purchased a 4 knife set, #S04 consisting of a paring knife,a utility knife, a stubby butcher knife and a slicer.  These are made in the USA, have a lifetime warranty, and cast aluminum handles (composite handles are available).  The blades are stamped stainless steel and pretty thin. I remember them being a bear to sharpen so I will see if they are easier now that I am older and wiser.  I also bought a more traditional set of Old Hickory knives, #705 and it comes with 5 pieces which are all high carbon steel and not stainless. They are also made in the USA,  have a lifetime warranty, are of full tang construction and their wooden handles are secured with rivets. They feel good in the hand and are fairly well balanced and the blades are thicker than the Rada.

So far I am liking both sets. The RADA are the least expensive of the brands, but then the steel is thin. Overall though, on a cost per knife basis, both sets represent good value, especially for a product made in America. I would recommend either brand for an outdoor set of knives.  I purchased mine through eBay.
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: New Knives
« on: January 14, 2016, 05:37:39 AM »
Good to know, thanks for the share.  I have never heard of either set before.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 07:42:03 AM »
The BBQ Pitboys use the Old Hickory 10" butcher's knife in their videos.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 08:13:36 AM »
I have a couple of Rada blades that I like a lot (including a grannie pairing knife that is one of my favorites for anything that requires detail cutting).  I also have an Old Hickory 14" carbon steel butcher knife that SWMBO affectionately refers to as the machete. Not the best slicer because of its thickness (I use a Mercer 14" as my primary brisket slicer a long with a couple of other smaller slicers like the Rada 10" for when the 14" granton is too much), but it is great for cutting spares down to St. Louis style and other hard cutting that requires getting through through bone or sinew.  Make a great watermelon cutter too.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 07:32:48 PM »
Years ago my wife bought me an expensive Bread Knife. A $90.00 Whusthoff. Later on a friend gave me a $13 Ridel, and it is all I ever use. I bake all of our bread and it gets used every day. Go figure!
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline old sarge

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 10:52:31 AM »
Money wise, sometimes less is more.
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D