Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
Re: Ghee
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 03:35:27 AM »
Boy that would be good with steamers & lobsters

I do a mix of ghee with chilli powder and fresh garlic , it is Heavenly  on lobster .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 11:40:11 AM »
Thanks for the simple instructions and great pictures, Ahron.

X2
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 12:03:31 PM »
Pretty stuff Ahron.Bookmarked,need to get this on my radar.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 02:20:56 PM »
Jan 17 2016

Ahron spurred me to make some ghee. I use a wide mouth funnel to fill jars and to strain things. One time I had cut a square of cheese cloth for straining. When I poured the stuff in cheese cloth and all went down the funnel so I came up with the clothes pins to hold it in place.

I had a pound of Troyer unsalted butter to do; their butter is made from grass fed cows. I cooked it down and it made a half pint so next time I will do 2 pounds. Now all I have to do is cook with it to see how I like it. Thanks for the idea Ahron

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 02:44:09 PM »
Great post Ahron, Thanks.

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 03:36:10 PM »
Jan 17 2016

Ahron spurred me to make some ghee. I use a wide mouth funnel to fill jars and to strain things. One time I had cut a square of cheese cloth for straining. When I poured the stuff in cheese cloth and all went down the funnel so I came up with the clothes pins to hold it in place.

I had a pound of Troyer unsalted butter to do; their butter is made from grass fed cows. I cooked it down and it made a half pint so next time I will do 2 pounds. Now all I have to do is cook with it to see how I like it. Thanks for the idea Ahron

Smokin Don
Do it looks just right .The best test is fried eggs .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2016, 05:09:22 PM »
I cook with ghee primarily. But it's not really clarified butter. It's goes a lot deeper than clarified. Takes a lot of patience to make ghee, as you can see from Ahron.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2016, 07:42:41 PM »
Thanks Ahron  sounds good on lobster with those little extras......my Uncle would put in a little Worcestershire sauce for a smoked flavor with clams
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 12:28:25 AM »
Thanks Ahron  sounds good on lobster with those little extras......my Uncle would put in a little Worcestershire sauce for a smoked flavor with clams

Ok can you give more details like how do you do the clams . thanks .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 12:07:46 PM »
Yes I see now I just made clarified butter. I didn't remember Ahron giving a time to cook the butter so I looked at a recipe. To Make Ghee you go one step further and cook until any milk solids in the bottom start to turn a light brown but not brown; this gives it a nutty flavor. Ghee is supposed to last longer too. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 02:06:04 PM »
Yes I see now I just made clarified butter. I didn't remember Ahron giving a time to cook the butter so I looked at a recipe. To Make Ghee you go one step further and cook until any milk solids in the bottom start to turn a light brown but not brown; this gives it a nutty flavor. Ghee is supposed to last longer too. Don
Sorry Don maybe i did not make it clear about the solids in the bottom i just gave a time  ( It took about 45 minutes . As i started smelling a nutty flavour i removed it from the heat .) sorry .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 02:10:26 PM »
Don, Ahron is right about the ghee..let it go until you smell it..you will smelly nutty when its ready..just watch it toward the end.  And it does last a lot longer, higher smoke point and great for anything, I make a lot of grilled cheese sammiches, all kinds.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 06:48:08 PM »

Ok can you give more details like how do you do the clams . thanks .

Sure Ahron  This is the basic NE way that has been done for years......It is great this way as is.

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/recipe/steamed-clams

Some use white wine, some use beer some put in garlic, some put in onions ......Etc Etc Etc

I like it simple (as above) or with a little garlic.

The broth cleans any sand that may be left after cooking & it is great to drink at the end. Drink down to the sand but not including the sand LOL.

One thing is to make sure the clams are alive: Any clams that have not opened after cooking should be tossed. If they smell they should be tossed. Nothing ruins a clam dinner like a bad clam :'(

Now as far as the Ghee, clarified butter or melted butter(not as good) You can add a little Worcestershire  to the butter for a little taste. I like it this way second to plain but at times it hits the spot.  I have never ran into anyone yet that did not like it this way.

I am sure the far better cooks on here will have many wonderful ideas also.

Enjoy!

Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Ghee update
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 12:04:00 AM »
This is an update and think I finally made proper Ghee, any comments would be appreciated. Don

Jan 27 2016

Today was a kind of fun day with cooking. I am kind of in a winter blues or hum drum state so this helped cheer me up. A while back I made Ghee for the first time or so I thought. After a fellow LTBBQ member pointed out that I had just made clarified butter; I did some research and found out for a proper Ghee you have to cook it longer.

When making Ghee you start with the butter in a sauce pan on medium heat and when it starts to boil turn it to low heat and cook, it will separate into three layers. The milk liquids will form a foam on top, the milk solids will go to the bottom and the Ghee will be in the middle. Use a slotted spoon to skim off the foam on top as it cooks. Cook it until the milk solids in the bottom turn a light brown color. I did a pound of butter and it took about 35 minutes.

Set the pan off the heat to cool. When it cools some strain through cheese cloth into a jar. Store at room temperature and it should last at least a week; probably longer.

I read a great article at 101cooks.com on making Ghee and they said to use the best butter you could. The first batch I made, but only took it to the clarified stage, I used a pound of Troyer's butter made from grass fed beef . I ended up with just over a half pint. Today I used a pound of Kerry's Gold Irish butter. When it was done I had a full pint of Ghee. In the end it was cheaper using the more expensive Kerry Gold butter.

I used the clarified butter I made to cook with and really liked it; it did good with  a fried sunny side up egg and made great pop corn. I know I will like the Ghee better!

Smokin Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi