Author Topic: Assassin 17 Gravity Feed Smoker Review (Long)  (Read 29225 times)

Offline SouthGAQue

Assassin 17 Gravity Feed Smoker Review (Long)
« Reply #-1 on: June 01, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »
My first contribution to the forum. I hope some find this helpful

A couple weeks ago, I asked a competition cook team if I could take a look at their Assassin 17.  It looked to me the right size for my needs as a backyard  Q'er & occasional caterer for small family/church groups.  He obliges & gave me lots of details about the cooker. He then mentioned this was his last comp for the summer & Assassin was working on new equipment for him & the 17 was for sale. Didn't take long to make a deal. 

Over the last couple of weeks, I have cooked chicken twice & butts twice.   I did  one butt cook at 255 the other at 275.  The chicken was cooked at 325.  More details later

The cooker is pretty much the standard model that lists for $2200.00 on the website (http://www.assassin-smokers.com/)  The specs for this cooker are:

Interior cook chamber is 18" x 24" x 30" tall.
3 cook racks that measure 17” x 23”.
3 rack runners’ 6” apart.
Hold about 9-12 lbs of charcoal. (Will depend on type)
Exterior height totals 58 ½” tall.

Standard features on all Assassin Smokers are:

3" DIAL THERMOMETER
1 WIRE PORTAL
1-1/2" BRASS FULL PORT BALL VALVE WITH ADAPTER FOR  ATC.
4-D-RINGS
LOCKING SLAM LATCH (KEYS INCLUDED)
4- TOGGLE LATCHES
5" PERFORMA CASTERS (2 FIXED &2 SWIVEL WITH BRAKE) BOLT ON
STEEL WATER PAN
REMOVABLE GREASE PAN (TAPERED TO REMOVE GREASE FROM COOK CHAMBER) a disposable pan (not included) fits on provided rail under cook chamber to catch grease.
PITMASTER IQ 120
ALUMINUM PROTECTION PLATE, FOR EASY CLEAN UPS.
ALUMINUM GASKET GUARD, ABOVE FIREBOX .

(note) Jeff Conley at C&C Manufacturing (Assassin Smokers) will do a lot of customization at no extra charge on new orders.

I really like the high visibility of the new big door mounted dial thermometer. I can easily see the temp from across my patio deck.   The slam latch is also a great standard feature on this cooker.  It makes getting in & out of the cooker when you are wrapping butts, etc quick & easy.  Once you are done, just be sure to lock down the toggle latches again to keep a good seal on the door.

Mine has the charcoal chute & fire box door on the back. The elbow on the ball valve is a nice touch that keeps the fan adapter from sticking out past the footprint of the cooker itself.  All Assassin Smokers come with the Pitmaster IQ 120.  (more about the IQ 120 later)

The standard 3 racks are about 6" apart & will hold a full size pan.  You can easily cook big meats like butts or brisket or full size pans on all three racks.  I have put three 8-9# butts on a rack with room to spare.  Below the bottom rack is the grease pan.  It is removable & is beveled towards the center so grease drains down a spout & out the bottom of the cooker. There are rails on the bottom of the cooker to slide an aluminum pan on to catch the grease.  I line the grease pan with foil to make clean up easier. This is a heavy cooker, but it rolls easily on the casters. 

I have a hand held propane torch I use to light the cooker. I have used Stubbs briquettes, Kingsford Competition Briquettes & Forest Lump lump charocal. I did one cook with a mix of lump & Kingsford Comp.  All three burned steady with very little ash. There is enough gap between the top of the fire box & the charcoal chute grate stick the nozzle of the torch in.  I then let the torch hang there while the charcoal ignites. I normally start in in the middle of the grate, then after a few minutes move it to one side, then a couple minutes later to the other side.  I run the torch for 5-7 minutes total.  Then I close the chute & firebox doors & turn on the Pitmaster IQ.  It has taken about 30-40 minutes to get up to 255-275 temp.  About 45 mins or so to get up to 325.  When it levels out at my chosen cooking temp, I put 2-4 chunks of wood (I don't like a heavy smoke flavor. I prefer just a light hint of smoke) in the fire box & tap the bottom grate to get a few hot ember to fall on the wood.  I close up the fire box & put meat on the racks.  In the pic below, I have 2 spatchcocked chickens and about a dozen wings on one rack with plenty of room to spare.

Cooking on this Assassin 17 Smoker is almost boring.  You start the fire, set the Pitmaster IQ to whatever temp you want, put on the meat when its up to temp, & then wait.  The IQ 120 locks the cooker in at the temp you set & thats where it stays.  It is really set it & forget it.  I had the charcoal bridge one time on the cook I used the briq/lump mix.  I noticed the temp down below 300 on the door therm.  I poked the charcoal in the chute to break up up the bridging & it was back up to temp in a few mins.

When I do need to open the door to put in/take out food or pull butts to wrap; the cook chamber temp will drop as expected, but it will be back up to temp is 15 minute or less. 

Both times the chicken I cooked was moist & flavorful. One butt cook, I did not wrap or use a water pan. The bark got too dark & hard for my taste. The second butt cook, I did use a water pan with 50-50 mix of apple juice & water.  I wrapped the butts when the color was where I like it.  I don't think the water pan is really needed for moisture, but did (IMHO) enhance the flavor of the bark much like spritzing would have.

I have cooked on WSM clone, Chargriller COS & a couple of UDS before the Assassin.  I love this Assassin Smoker.  It is the perfect size for my needs -- cooking for family & small groups.  It is rock solid; holds temps like a charm & is very fuel efficient.  I have known Jeff Conley at Assassin Smokers for a couple of years. I also know several competition teams that cook on Assassins.  From all that I hear, the customer service at Assassin Smokers is equal to anyone in the business.  You will not go wrong with an Assassin Smoker.   Now I got to start saving again for one of those sweet Assassin Grills.   I'll be glad to try to answer any questions.
Assassin 17 Gravity Feed Smoker
2 UDS
Chargiller Offset
Weber Kettle
Charbroil Gasser.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Assassin 17 Gravity Feed Smoker Review (Long)
« on: June 01, 2016, 05:09:25 PM »
Nice review and good looking cooker.  I have seen those but never really had the mind to look into one.   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 05:14:37 PM »
Congrats on your new smoker!  It is a beauty for sure! Nice review...thanks!
Your food looks great!

Offline Pappymn

Assassin 17 Gravity Feed Smoker Review (Long)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 05:33:05 PM »
New guy comes out of the gate swinging! Congrats on the cooker
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 05:48:43 PM »
Outstanding review! Great looking grub!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 06:42:25 PM »
Great review!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 07:57:49 PM »
Great review and beautiful food!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 08:00:59 PM »
Thanks for a good review.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 09:41:23 PM »
Thanks for the review...I have been eyeing that one.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 09:45:45 PM »
Great looking grub off of that good cooker. Nice review.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 04:06:50 PM »
congrats on your new smoker.. How does the grease drain?
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 07:56:44 AM »
The plant where the Assassin is made is less than 10 minutes from our house.  They have a pretty good variety of smokers and grills and also custom build to any size.

Stumps smokers are made here, too...about 4 miles from us.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline SouthGAQue

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 10:10:09 AM »
congrats on your new smoker.. How does the grease drain?

Grease drains really well.  The grease pan below the bottom rack is slanted toward a hole in the center.  There is a tube attached to hole that sits in hole in the bottom of the cooker.  There are rails on the outside bottom of the cooker that you slide an aluminum pan on to catch the grease.  I cover the grease pan with HD foil & cut out the hole in the middle.  After a cook, just wrap up the foil, pull the alum pan & toss em.
Assassin 17 Gravity Feed Smoker
2 UDS
Chargiller Offset
Weber Kettle
Charbroil Gasser.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 02:50:28 PM »
Thank you.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66