Author Topic: New SRG questions  (Read 4345 times)

Offline vido5257

New SRG questions
« Reply #-1 on: July 27, 2016, 07:58:36 PM »
Hi everyone - I'm brand new to the forum; you guys are full of information!
I just seasoned my SRG and will be attempting my first cook this weekend (hopefully!)
A couple of questions:

- I coated the interior of the smoker with vegetable oil and ran it on high until it stopped smoking.  Everything turned a bronze color, which is what I expected.  My question is should I also season the cooking racks?

- Also, I saw Tommy's mods and am wondering if the mods are easy enough to do after a few cooks, or am I better off to go ahead and get them out of the way now, before I "dirty up" the inside?  Specifically, I'm talking about the vent hole on top and the air nozzles on the bottom (the Tommy ring and drilling additional holes in the wood chip holder are easy enough).

- Any other tips/advice you an give are greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: New SRG questions
« on: July 27, 2016, 08:36:45 PM »
I would do the racks too..I did mine.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 10:01:54 PM »
Hi, mods are a good way to tweak your SRG but you need to get a feel of it first. 

If you mod it then you cook on it and it does net perform the way you want it to then you will not know what happened.  I would get a few cooks under my belt first with chicken turkey roast butts and so forth. 

Then we can talk mods.  Each mod has does different things so let's get a standard first then you can go crazy with mods.

PM me if you need more info

Tommy
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline vido5257

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 08:33:31 AM »
Spoken by the master himself!  Thanks Tommy, good advice.
And thanks Pam, I will season my baskets too!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 08:37:41 AM »
And thanks Pam, I will season my baskets too!
Make sure to season the outside of the chamber.   it needs a coating on it just like the inside

Also, don't worry about a little build up of burnt stuff on the bottom, just scrape it ever now and then.   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 08:53:49 AM »
Why I said this was a buddy of min bought a new Harley, tweaked it with pipes, new cams, injectors and so forth. 

The bike was never ridden prior to all the "mods"  so when they put it on the dyno it never ran right.  They started pulling all mods till they got it running right.  Funny thing was NO MODS were the issue there was an issue with the fuel system from the factory which would have been found if they just rode it for a few days before modding it out.

So like I said (sorry for repeating) get  to know your cooker then work through the things that need changing to get the most out of it

Ill help you along with everyone here to get the most out of that cooker

Tommy 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline vido5257

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 10:36:41 AM »
Appreciate the input.

So, I should season the outside as well?  Same process, I assume?

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 10:46:27 AM »
Appreciate the input.

Just rub oil on it when you cook.  Don't go through a whole seasoning process, not needed

Also NEVER use PAM or other sprays , it will break down and leave black flakes everywhere just use a good high heat oil
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 04:53:55 PM »
Appreciate the input.

Just rub oil on it when you cook.  Don't go through a whole seasoning process, not needed

Also NEVER use PAM or other sprays , it will break down and leave black flakes everywhere just use a good high heat oil

He aint lyin.... It took three days of soaking in ammonia, my pressure washer and a modified regulator heat storm to get that black crap from the non stick spray off my grates...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 05:05:04 PM »
Appreciate the input.

He aint lyin.... It took three days of soaking in ammonia, my pressure washer and a modified regulator heat storm to get that black crap from the non stick spray off my grates...
See I wouldn't steer you wrong.    Also don't ask how long it took me to clean my HeatWave grill after that seasoning with PAM ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline vido5257

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 09:49:45 AM »
Here are pics of my first cook... Couple of notes...

- Followed all the instructions: preheat the SRG with the chips inside, dropped the buttin after 15 minutes, let it run for about 4 hours (or whenever it was that it hit temperature), then wrapped in foil and towel and kept in cooler.  The pork butt turned out really nice and moist.
- Overall, I was disappointed.  Don't get me wrong, it was a great meal!  However, in the past, we've cooked pork butt in the slow cooker and have had great tasting pulled pork sandwhiches.  I was expected a more smokey flavor, similar to what you get at the great BBQ joints in Texas.  Perhaps some Tommy mods are in order (I did use a Tommy ring).
- Not sure if pork butt gives a smoke ring, but as you can see from the pics, not much of one on mine.

I definitely need a few more cooks under my belt to become comfortable with the process.  This was my first time ever smoking.  Next up is ribs - any recommendations are appreciated  :)

[attachments deleted after 6 months]

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 12:01:09 PM »
Here are pics of my first cook... Couple of notes...

- Followed all the instructions: preheat the SRG with the chips inside, dropped the buttin after 15 minutes, let it run for about 4 hours (or whenever it was that it hit temperature), then wrapped in foil and towel and kept in cooler.  The pork butt turned out really nice and moist.
- Overall, I was disappointed.  Don't get me wrong, it was a great meal!  However, in the past, we've cooked pork butt in the slow cooker and have had great tasting pulled pork sandwhiches.  I was expected a more smokey flavor, similar to what you get at the great BBQ joints in Texas.  Perhaps some Tommy mods are in order (I did use a Tommy ring).
- Not sure if pork butt gives a smoke ring, but as you can see from the pics, not much of one on mine.

I definitely need a few more cooks under my belt to become comfortable with the process.  This was my first time ever smoking.  Next up is ribs - any recommendations are appreciated  :)
The SRG will not produce a smoke ring nor will you get a lot of smoke flavor.  If smoke flavor you seek with this unit I would use 100%  hickory pellets or chips.  Hickory is a stronger flavor smoke than apple or pecan and I find if using hickory i get better smoke flavor

BUT...... it still will be no where near a true smoker  it's just the nature of the beast.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline vido5257

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 01:12:59 PM »
Bummer.  thanks for the info.  I will try the hickory ships next time.
Just curious, then... if this unit does't really give a good smoke flavor, what's the benefit?  Again, excuse my ignorance, but what is the benefit of smoking if not for the flavor?

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 01:34:10 PM »
Just curious, then... if this unit does't really give a good smoke flavor, what's the benefit?  Again, excuse my ignorance, but what is the benefit of smoking if not for the flavor?
it will produce a smoke flavor just not that of a real smoker.   The advantage of this unit is the infrared cooking.  You will get results like fried turkey withou oil, crisp skin on chicken, speed without drying out meat just to name a few.   You can bake with it as well.     

Don't sell it short it can do a lot of great things for you

I have 130 butts cooked with infrared and very few were disappointing
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 02:06:00 PM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Roget

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 02:43:05 PM »

For me, the SRG serves as a "niche" cooker. It does almost everything well, but not everything great.
When I want chicken I always go to the SRG. You can't beat it for chicken!

I have cooked butts in it and they came out very good. (and much quicker than my smoker.) and you get a little smoke flavor thrown in.
But when I have time and want a lot of smoke, I will use my Bradley for Butts. Usually the SRG will give me enough smoke for a chicken or a turkey, but if I want a little more smoke on a turkey, I will smoke it first in the Bradley and then finish it in the SRG.

Of all my cookers my SRG probably gets used the most, but a smoker it is not.(IMHO):D
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner