Author Topic: Waterproof cover for Blackstone - anyone have a good one?  (Read 4150 times)

Offline KJRsmoker

Waterproof cover for Blackstone - anyone have a good one?
« Reply #-1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:06:06 AM »
I know this has been discussed before but I couldn't find the threads.

What are some good waterproof covers for a Blackstone 28" griddle?
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline rwalters

Waterproof cover for Blackstone - anyone have a good one?
« on: April 20, 2017, 10:24:30 AM »
Not sure if any cover is gonna be truly water proof with the way it rests on the griddle. It naturally sits low allowing water to puddle. Last year I had one of my rare bright moments...lol. I placed a full sized aluminum pan upside down under the cover...right in the middle of the griddle. Haven't had a drop of water penetrate the Blackstone cover since as the water now runs off. My cover is over 2 years old...quite faded now, but has held up well. 
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Waterproof cover for Blackstone - anyone have a good one?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 11:14:54 AM »
I had one. It is heavy duty but not water proof. Unless they have changed it there are two seams that let water in........and that means a rusty griddle and that aint good...............I would lay a piece of tarp on mine and then cover over. That seemed to help....especially when snow would stay packed on it for up to three weeks.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline skidog

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 11:19:33 AM »
I got this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MFFSHNL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cheaper than the Blackstone cover, fits perfectly. I just put a melting dome on the griddle and cover it, creates a sloped surface. Just inspected it now after it rained all day yesterday and it is perfectly dry.
Well today it seems the Blackstone cover is around 30 cents cheaper than the one I listed. So I guess its just personal choice.
1985 Weber Genesis
SRG
Cook-Air
BS 28in griddle
Kingsford 22in charcoal grill
Anova
Cuisinart griddler
IP 6qt
GMG DC

Offline Roget

YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline DWard51

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 03:23:25 PM »
I got this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MFFSHNL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cheaper than the Blackstone cover, fits perfectly. I just put a melting dome on the griddle and cover it, creates a sloped surface. Just inspected it now after it rained all day yesterday and it is perfectly dry.
Well today it seems the Blackstone cover is around 30 cents cheaper than the one I listed. So I guess its just personal choice.

That is also the one I bought.  I put a large disposable pan on top of the griddle (flipped over so the bottom of the pan is on top).  This raises the top of the cover to a dome and any water that hits it rolls right off.  Mine is under a covered porch roof, but I do get rain that blows in during storms.  My cover has been wet several times, but no evidence of water intrusion and rust on the griddle so it appears to be doing it's job.  I think the biggest key is putting something on top of the griddle to make the cover form a dome and not give water anywhere to puddle on the cover.

As to leaky seams, I would say get a bottle of tent seam sealer from Walmart or Academy Sports and run it over the stitching and seams on the inside of the cover if yours is leaking.  That should stop the stitching from wicking in water.  This is the stuff I'm talking about, it is like $5 at Walmart.

Offline RAD

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 05:38:44 PM »
Love to cook and eat

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 05:10:41 PM »
I got this one for my Weber Genesis and it pretty heavy duty at a great price and they have all kinds of sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-Veranda-Grill-Cover/dp/B000HCNEWM/ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1492724197&sr=1-3&keywords=Classic+Accessories+Veranda+Grill+Cover

Got the same for my gas and ltbbq kettle.  Haven't had that long but we have been without sun for a while now and they have kept things dry.  Very happy with them.   
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"