Author Topic: We have to stop using aluminum foil  (Read 7700 times)

Offline Subvet

Re: We have to stop using aluminum foil
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 01:21:17 PM »
I found some Butcher paper on Amazon.com.  It came in 150' rolls...ordered some to try.  I've been wanting to try it for a long time, but couldn't find it in small rolls.  Whilst I was looking at the bbq thermometers, they suggested Butcher paper.  I'll be interested to see how it works.

Now I'll stop milking this dead horse because it probably won't change anyone's mind about.

I bought this same thing from Amazon some time back. It works very well. 150' will last for a while! :)
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2017, 01:45:18 PM »
I found some Butcher paper on Amazon.com.  It came in 150' rolls...ordered some to try.  I've been wanting to try it for a long time, but couldn't find it in small rolls.  Whilst I was looking at the bbq thermometers, they suggested Butcher paper.  I'll be interested to see how it works.

Now I'll stop milking this dead horse because it probably won't change anyone's mind about.

I bought this same thing from Amazon some time back. It works very well. 150' will last for a while! :)

I think you get a better exterior finish ( bark) when you use butcher paper vs foil. I can think of a few reasons why that may be.... Only know I prefer the finished product better. ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2017, 01:52:04 PM »
But foil hats are still ok right? :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »
So. Stop covering the drip pans on our pellet grills, Ive done that since I got one. I also line the bottom of the SRG Aluminum tub with Foil.  It gets to a point where I think some of this is taken too far. Heck I was taught in Boy Scouts how to make a Zip Pack with Aluminum foil with our hamburger, potatoes and carrots something that I still do today. And it turns out delicious every time.  Last week I was in Florida went to a local market on Saturday where they where grilling quartered chickens and sausage on a pit that was covered with expanded metal that it appeared they had been using for years and it didn't bother me at all as I shared a quartered Chicken with my wife. I even told her that the expanded metal was bad for us which she responded that it wasn't any worse than the Styrofoam container they served it to us on. And yes it was delicious.  Lets not forget that we have been told that the air we breath, the water we drink and most of the food we consume has some negative effect on our bodies and yet we still live. How can this be?? ??? ???
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2017, 02:47:40 PM »
So. Stop covering the drip pans on our pellet grills, Ive done that since I got one. I also line the bottom of the SRG Aluminum tub with Foil.  It gets to a point where I think some of this is taken too far. Heck I was taught in Boy Scouts how to make a Zip Pack with Aluminum foil with our hamburger, potatoes and carrots something that I still do today. And it turns out delicious every time.  Last week I was in Florida went to a local market on Saturday where they where grilling quartered chickens and sausage on a pit that was covered with expanded metal that it appeared they had been using for years and it didn't bother me at all as I shared a quartered Chicken with my wife. I even told her that the expanded metal was bad for us which she responded that it wasn't any worse than the Styrofoam container they served it to us on. And yes it was delicious.  Lets not forget that we have been told that the air we breath, the water we drink and most of the food we consume has some negative effect on our bodies and yet we still live. How can this be?? ??? ???

because of the whiskey we drink ;) ;) ;) ;)
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline stalag

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2017, 02:58:13 PM »

This is taking it too far.  The original article is way too alarmist which I think you are heading with this post.  However being too dismissive is also a bad thing.  The human body itself does not use aluminum in the biochemistry and as a result the metal can cause issues biologically.  Using aluminum as a liner which is NOT in contact with food is of no issue or consequence.  Also using aluminum with non acidic food is also of no consequence due to the fact that an oxide coating (thin) is always on the surface of aluminum.  That oxide coating breaks down when in contact with acidic foods.   Thing is though in the different metals available, along with cost considerations, aluminum is one of the most versatile materials we have today.  Personally I still roast large pieces of meat in an aluminum roasting pan, and bake in aluminum cake pans as that is the best material out there for those kind of foods.  However if I am frying, or cooking on the stove, or doing things just for myself I like using and do use cast iron.  Cast iron is a great way to supplement iron in the diet and in certain cases I have heard the use of cast iron helps with people who are iron deficient.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline abcbarbecue

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2017, 06:13:45 AM »
With all the alarmist news about what is and is not healthy I just try to remember we live in a world where the average lifespan continues to increase, so what we're doing can't be ALL bad.  :thumbup:

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2017, 07:57:53 AM »
than most.

But you need to know THIS: YOUR Dr. and all others for that matter receive far LESS training on nutrition than a veterinarian. That is a fact. AND...( this one ought to be a wake up call ;) )How you you think your physician learns which drugs to prescribe for your needs? From the drug company's sales people that call on him. Again FACT....

This is so true!!!!!

Very very true. 

If anyone watched "The Knick" (cinemax or showtime, I forget), the main character in season 1 became addicted to cocaine (at the time used as a pain reliever). To help him get off the cocaine at the rehab center, a drug company Bayer released a "non addictive" drug called heroin.... 
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline hikerman

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2017, 10:44:19 AM »
I try to listen to as much factual info as possible....and then make a decision based on each situation. Aluminum has been considered a health risk in cooking for quite awhile. But because as Mike has said, there is no health warning on the foil box. Well that would be government issued. I truly do not trust government with my family's or my health. Too many times BIG MONEY has paid off politicians to suppress facts. We will taper off our use of foil. Instead of wrapping a butt it could be placed in a covered pan and placed in a cooler. No more foil pacs tossed on the grill. There are plenty of non-cooking uses that will remain safe. Everyone must decide what is best for them!  :thumbup:

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2017, 11:21:51 AM »
I try to listen to as much factual info as possible....and then make a decision based on each situation.  Aluminum has been considered a health risk in cooking for quite awhile. But because as Mike has said, there is no health warning on the foil box. Well that would be government issued.  I truly do not trust government with my family's or my health. Too many times BIG MONEY has paid off politicians to suppress facts. We will taper off our use of foil. Instead of wrapping a butt it could be placed in a covered pan and placed in a cooler. No more foil pacs tossed on the grill. There are plenty of non-cooking uses that will remain safe. Everyone must decide what is best for them!  :thumbup:

Agree 90%, will still wrap with foil.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline hikerman

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2017, 11:42:35 AM »
One of the reasons that I like this site is we ALL care about each other. When someone finds an article like Pam did, she shared it. It's up to the individual to read it or not. Take in the facts and decide what is best for each person. We are all different,  we all have varied needs and likes. But at the end of the day, if you disagree with me, I'll still respect you! It's kinda like what the evening news used to do. Report the facts and let us decide where the dog lies. (No offense brother Bill) :thumbup:

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2017, 04:58:50 PM »
One of the reasons that I like this site is we ALL care about each other. When someone finds an article like Pam did, she shared it. It's up to the individual to read it or not. Take in the facts and decide what is best for each person. We are all different,  we all have varied needs and likes. But at the end of the day, if you disagree with me, I'll still respect you! It's kinda like what the evening news used to do. Report the facts and let us decide where the dog lies. (No offense brother Bill) :thumbup:

Not at all, Gene, not at all ! ! !  You are correct, we all have different experiences, backgrounds, personal stories, etc.

I remember when the stories about aluminum and Alzheimers (I think) first came out.  People were talking about everything from beer cans to antiperspirant (aluminum chlorhydrate?).  But now the vast majority of those fears have been quieted.

Also, we all realize that this place is very special place; civil and very tolerant of differing opinions. 

Just recently I was on an Indian (MC) forum where a guy, shaped pretty much like a taller version of me, was asking about finding a leather jacket that would fit his frame.  Almost immediately, individuals came out bashing and insulting him about his weight.  Eventually the Mods came in, deleted some of the worst posts, and reminded everyone to slow it down a little. 

But here at LTBBQ, it is understood.

So, here's to you (all of you) my BBQ Buddies ! ! !  (sitting back, enjoying one of three or four daily cigars and sipping on the first of my half dozen or so Bin Ladens - that's right it's scotch . . . two shots and a splash ! )

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline hikerman

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2017, 05:11:47 PM »
Cheers my friend!  8)  If I could, I most certainly would tip one (rye) in your direction! :thumbup:

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2017, 05:20:34 PM »
After reading this thread l got scared & stocked up at Sams with 9 big rolls HD Alcoa foil. Heck I'm worried it will either get banned or the price go up

New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2017, 05:29:17 PM »
I buy the huge rolls myself.. .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron