Author Topic: Doing the Happy Dance  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Chasinsparks

Doing the Happy Dance
« Reply #-1 on: March 08, 2017, 01:28:04 PM »
Pretty excited, finally will get to use the New Flame Zone (2017). The build/design looks so promising, just from the looks of it, Mak hit another home run! If I had one suggestion, and I'm not sure if I'm smarter than their engineers, but I think the slots in the flame zone cover for the tool to lift them out when hot will be missed, but that is a small price to pay for what seems to be a much better system. I will be doing two Ducks tonight to put it through its first test. ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:38:23 PM by Chasinsparks »
"I Served 1995-2015"

MAK 2 Star 3182

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Doing the Happy Dance
« on: March 08, 2017, 02:08:48 PM »
Congrats, that's a great grill
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline LarryO1947

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 02:43:16 PM »
Congrats.... :thumbup:
22" Weber Premium
SNS
PBC
Char Griller Akorn
IQ110
Rec Tec-Mini
Thermoworks Smoke
Maverick ET-733
Thermapen MK4
Thermopop

Larry

Offline rwalters

Doing the Happy Dance
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 04:44:32 PM »
Very cool! I have a 2017 MAK 2 Star on its way. Expecting delivery this upcoming Monday :-)

Out of curiosity, do you foil you're Flame Zone pan, or go with no foil?  Wondering what the cleanup is like?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:01:49 PM by rwalters »
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 05:00:09 PM »
Cool! Be sure to get some pics to share!

Out of curiosity, do you foil you're Flame Zone pan, or go with no foil?  Wondering with the cleanup is like?

My understanding is grease is channeled better with the new FlameZone, making cleanup easier.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline rwalters

Doing the Happy Dance
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 05:02:51 PM »

Out of curiosity, do you foil you're Flame Zone pan, or go with no foil?  Wondering with the cleanup is like?

My understanding is grease is channeled better with the new FlameZone, making cleanup easier.
Your in the 'no foil' camp, yeah?  A 'scraper'? ;)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 05:12:08 PM »
Congratulations on your new grill. 

Lookin' forward to seeing Donald and Daisy in the sauna tonite...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Pappymn

Doing the Happy Dance
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 05:38:33 PM »
Take a pic for us
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 05:52:38 PM »

I honestly don't know how conducive the FlameZone is to being foiled with the covers, etc.   I've never foiled mine.  Kat, or MAK Daddy can answer that.

I used to foil my blank drip pan, but ultimately decided even that wasn't worth it.  Grease still works it's way under the foil sometimes.  Instead, a couple times per year I just throw all my drip pans in the self cleaning oven then hose them off afterward.
<><
Member #68

Offline rwalters

Doing the Happy Dance
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 06:39:03 PM »

I honestly don't know how conducive the FlameZone is to being foiled with the covers, etc.   I've never foiled mine.  Kat, or MAK Daddy can answer that.

I used to foil my blank drip pan, but ultimately decided even that wasn't worth it.  Grease still works it's way under the foil sometimes.  Instead, a couple times per year I just throw all my drip pans in the self cleaning oven then hose them off afterward.
Bet the wife just loves it when you throw those drip pans in the self-cleaning oven...LOL!! I am sure it works great though :-)

Offline Chasinsparks

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 06:54:25 PM »
Very cool! I have a 2017 MAK 2 Star on its way. Expecting delivery this upcoming Monday :-)

Out of curiosity, do you foil you're Flame Zone pan, or go with no foil?  Wondering what the cleanup is like?

I foil using heavy duty foil, I'm a believer in work smarter not harder. Plus I'm very picky, this grill as we all know is not cheap so I would be willing to bet most people would think I'm crazy at well I keep mine clean, I had a friend say it's a grill you just going to used it again, I was like yeah you just washed your car but your going to drive it again too. So to each their own, I foil my flame zone and cover and after each use shop vac the interior and completely clean before I cover it up for the night.

You don't have to foil each time, only change when dirty, I don't think I need to say this but make sure you poke the holes though (I know it should go without saying), I use a chop stick it works very well.
"I Served 1995-2015"

MAK 2 Star 3182

Offline Chasinsparks

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 07:10:34 PM »
Resting with orange sage glaze.....

[attachment deleted by admin]
"I Served 1995-2015"

MAK 2 Star 3182

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 07:14:25 PM »
Congrats and I will be looking forward to pictures of your upcoming cooks
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 11:53:39 PM »
Bet the wife just loves it when you throw those drip pans in the self-cleaning oven...LOL!! I am sure it works great though :-)

Actually, she's never said a word about it.  Especially since it cleans the oven at the same time.   You DO need good ventilation though!!!

P.S. Chasinsparks, those duckies look mighty good!
<><
Member #68

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 02:41:33 PM »
Dang, nice work on those ducks!!!  Bet those tasted amazing!

Foiling is totally personal preference-- some folks like you do the full meal deal and contour the foil to the Flame Zone pan and poke holes, then foil the covers as well. 

Others do like Cliff and just burn it all off in the oven.  I personally do kinda half and half... if i'm doing low and slow, I'll just lay a couple sheets of foil down on top of the covers, and peel it off after I'm done.   If I'm doing direct grilling, I don't bother foiling the perforated FlameZone drip pan. 

As Cliff also mentioned, good airflow is imperative for the grill to operate as it should, so you do need to be mindful of not covering over the holes in the SIDES of the FZ drip pan-- basically you want your foil to go right up to the edge, but not wrap around to block those holes on all four sides. 

I will say it IS easier to do cleanup when you do it regularly, rather than letting gunk build up for ages, which can lead to performance issues.  Obviously don't have to get it sparkling clean every single time, but... a few minutes after each couple of cooks can save you quite a bit of time in the long run!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/