Author Topic: Cauliflower Crust Pepperoni Pizza  (Read 1186 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Cauliflower Crust Pepperoni Pizza
« Reply #-1 on: March 29, 2017, 03:23:53 PM »
OK,  first I have to tell you...

I was EXTREMELY dubious about the whole idea of a pizza crust made from cauliflower.  I liked the Fathead style crust I made for the Deep Dish pizza I posted about a month ago.  Even when my daughter told me she'd had a cauliflower crust pizza and really liked it, I quickly replied, "No thank you, I have no desire to make a pizza crust that tastes like cauliflower!"  :P

Well, recently I stumbled across this Cauliflower pizza crust recipe by Dr. Eric Berg and his wife: The Healthiest Pizza in the World which used a cauliflower crust and it actually intrigued me, especially since it had no Parmesan in it (which i cannot have).  After running the numbers on it, I saw it was even lower in carbs than the Fathead style crust, and it actually looked pretty good, so I reluctantly thought I'd give it a try.

Here's how I made it, with exact weight amounts, so the carb numbers are accurate and you don't have to guess at how much cauliflower to process.  Doing it this way was very quick and easy.

Easy Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Crust Ingredients:
10.6 oz (300 grams) Cauliflower florets  (avoid the bigger stems)
8 oz  (2 cups) Mozzarella Cheese - shredded
2 eggs
Salt to taste - optional, remember the cheese has salt in it!

15g total net carbs for this entire crust.

Additional Ingredients:
1/2 cup Easy Low-Carb Marinara Sauce (5g net carbs)
4 - 6 oz  Mozzarella cheese-for topping (4 - 6 net carbs)
Whatever other toppings you like

Directions:
1) Pulse the Cauliflower florets in a food processor until finely chopped or it has the consistency of rice.  Add the cheese and eggs and pulse until everything is well combined.

2) Spread the mixture evenly onto a 12", parchment lined, pizza pan, and bake in a preheated 450° oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until the top is slightly browned.

3) Top with 1/2 cup low carb pizza sauce, cheese and other toppings as you like, and bake for an additional 10 - 12 minutes until done.

Overall Thoughts:
● I am happy to admit that as skeptical as I was about a cauliflower crust, I enjoyed this immensely!  Could I tell it was made with cauliflower? Yes, BUT it was NOT a strong cauliflower taste at all like I expected. Somehow it just works!

● Did I like this better/worse than the Fathead style crust I made for the Deep Dish pizza I posted?  Not really; I liked them both.  The Fathead style was more thin & crispy where this was more like a traditional pan style.   Although, I do think this was easier to prep and work with than the Fathead style crust.

Both crusts are worthy, and I will probably do both in the future, depending on my pizza mood.  ;)

● Depending on your preference, a pizza stone will likely yield a crispier crust than a pizza pan.

● There are versions out there which add Parmesan and/or Italian herbs which may help to mask the cauliflower taste even better.

● Finally, considering each slice only has 3 - 4g nets carbs (depending on additional toppings) you can bet I'll be making this again!

Thanks for indulging me!  :D

Cliff!

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: Cauliflower Crust Pepperoni Pizza
« on: March 29, 2017, 03:44:21 PM »
OK,  first I have to tell you...

I was EXTREMELY dubious about the whole idea of a pizza crust made from cauliflower.  I liked the Fathead style crust I made for the Deep Dish pizza I posted about a month ago.  Even when my daughter told me she'd had a cauliflower crust pizza and really liked it, I quickly replied, "No thank you, I have no desire to make a pizza crust that tastes like cauliflower!"  :P

Well, recently I stumbled across this Cauliflower pizza crust recipe by Dr. Eric Berg and his wife: The Healthiest Pizza in the World which used a cauliflower crust and it actually intrigued me, especially since it had no Parmesan in it (which i cannot have).  After running the numbers on it, I saw it was even lower in carbs than the Fathead style crust, and it actually looked pretty good, so I reluctantly thought I'd give it a try.

Here's how I made it, with exact weight amounts, so the carb numbers are accurate and you don't have to guess at how much cauliflower to process.  Doing it this way was very quick and easy.

Easy Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Crust Ingredients:
10.6 oz (300 grams) Cauliflower florets  (avoid the bigger stems)
8 oz  (2 cups) Mozzarella Cheese - shredded
2 eggs
Salt to taste - optional, remember the cheese has salt in it!

15g total net carbs for this entire crust.

Additional Ingredients:
1/2 cup Easy Low-Carb Marinara Sauce (5g net carbs)
4 - 6 oz  Mozzarella cheese-for topping (4 - 6 net carbs)
Whatever other toppings you like

Directions:
1) Pulse the Cauliflower florets in a food processor until finely chopped or it has the consistency of rice.  Add the cheese and eggs and pulse until everything is well combined.

2) Spread the mixture evenly onto a 12", parchment lined, pizza pan, and bake in a preheated 450° oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until the top is slightly browned.

3) Top with 1/2 cup low carb pizza sauce, cheese and other toppings as you like, and bake for an additional 10 - 12 minutes until done.

Overall Thoughts:
● I am happy to admit that as skeptical as I was about a cauliflower crust, I enjoyed this immensely!  Could I tell it was made with cauliflower? Yes, BUT it was NOT a strong cauliflower taste at all like I expected. Somehow it just works!

● Did I like this better/worse than the Fathead style crust I made for the Deep Dish pizza I posted?  Not really; I liked them both.  The Fathead style was more thin & crispy where this was more like a traditional pan style.   Although, I do think this was easier to prep and work with than the Fathead style crust.

Both crusts are worthy, and I will probably do both in the future, depending on my pizza mood.  ;)

● Depending on your preference, a pizza stone will likely yield a crispier crust than a pizza pan.

● There are versions out there which add Parmesan and/or Italian herbs which may help to mask the cauliflower taste even better.

● Finally, considering each slice only has 3 - 4g nets carbs (depending on additional toppings) you can bet I'll be making this again!

Thanks for indulging me!  :D

Cliff!

Cliff they would stop you at the NY or CT border if you tried to enter with that. In fact if any money is left over we may put up a fence on our borders.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

All kidding aside Mashed Cauliflower tastes almost good enough for Thanksgiving
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 05:54:31 PM »
Tasty looking pizza Cliff!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 05:14:04 PM »
Cliff they would stop you at the NY or CT border if you tried to enter with that. In fact if any money is left over we may put up a fence on our borders.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That's OK.  If traveling to one of those two states, I'll just have to eat it all BEFORE I cross the State lines.   Problem solved! :P :D
<><
Member #68

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 05:26:48 PM »
After looking at it, It's hard to believe that that's what it is, It looks great! :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 05:56:50 PM »
Cliff,
You sure made that look mighty good.  I may have to give that a try on my Uuni as a thin crust pizza.

Art

BOOKMARKED!
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 05:58:05 PM »
That is exactly what I was thinking Art...this looks like a great Uuni pizza!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 06:38:30 PM »
Cliff,
You sure made that look mighty good.  I may have to give that a try on my Uuni as a thin crust pizza.

Art

BOOKMARKED!

That is exactly what I was thinking Art...this looks like a great Uuni pizza!

I would LOVE to see this done in an Uuni!  :thumbup:   Just remember this MUST be pre-baked first, before you can put toppings on it. 
<><
Member #68