Author Topic: Tale of two Facebook groups  (Read 830 times)

Offline Pappymn

Tale of two Facebook groups
« Reply #-1 on: April 14, 2017, 07:51:28 PM »
A few people here suggested a Facebook group for the Power Air Fryer. The group that was suggested is very active. Lot of interest and enthusiasm. But the folks are so obsessed with "what did you use for time and temp?" I've made some comments that you get a good thermometer and you cook to desired internal temp for best results. I think I get a lot of blank stares when I do that based on comments back. I see everybody feverously writing down other people's times and temps. And not really learning to be a better cook. The group kind of exhausts me.

Now the other group is a Blackstone griddle group. Also very active and enthusiastic. Those people just jump in and mix it up having fun on the griddle and making good looking food. This group is more fun and creative.

Not judging anybody just an observation about cooks and different levels and style.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Tale of two Facebook groups
« on: April 14, 2017, 08:37:27 PM »
Please invite folks to  come join us here - and perhaps add to their cooking skills, and exchange ideas with us.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 09:03:27 PM »
Pappy, I belong and have posted to both, you are correct.
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 10:03:10 PM »
I belong to air fryer groups on Facebook. One is Air Fryer recipes and they make you post times and temps if you submit a photo. From the Admin: (" Thank you all for your wonderful posts, and please remember, if you post a pic, plz include the recipe, with the time and temp. Also, as requested by a few of the members, plz post the make, model, and size of your air fryer.")

The other one that I belong to and prefer is Cook's Essential Air Fryer group. It is open to all types of air fryers. From the Admin: ("It is not required that members post time/temp/recipes for photos of food they made. Members can ask for it, but are NOT allowed to tell/order other members that they cannot post their photos without it.")
This is a very active group and a lot of it has to do with the owner's You Tube channel Cooking with Doug. You might want to check this group out Pappy if you haven't already.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Daze823

• BBQs, You can't have just one :)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 09:46:48 AM »
This forum has definitely made me a better cook...  It took a little while to get it, that the IT is really what matters, and there are multiple ways to get there.  There are things that I will generally cook the same way every time (pork butt), but because I know the end result is going to rely mostly on the IT, I'm not afraid to try it another way and see how it alters the final product.  I've learned to slow it down if I want the grizzle and fat to break down, I've learned tricks to speed things up if I am short on time, and I've learned not to stress about a "recipe", because smoking/grilling is like an art form and doesn't need to be exact.

I enjoy about trying different rubs, injections, woods, etc... and am still learning how they affect the final taste/texture/look...  If you can only follow a recipe, I believe you lose out on most of the joy in cooking.
TEC Patio II Infrared Grill
Charbroil, The Big Easy Smoker. Roaster & Grill (SRG)
Weber Premier Charcoal Grill

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 10:26:52 AM »
This forum has definitely made me a better cook...  It took a little while to get it, that the IT is really what matters, and there are multiple ways to get there.  There are things that I will generally cook the same way every time (pork butt), but because I know the end result is going to rely mostly on the IT, I'm not afraid to try it another way and see how it alters the final product.  I've learned to slow it down if I want the grizzle and fat to break down, I've learned tricks to speed things up if I am short on time, and I've learned not to stress about a "recipe", because smoking/grilling is like an art form and doesn't need to be exact.

I enjoy about trying different rubs, injections, woods, etc... and am still learning how they affect the final taste/texture/look...  If you can only follow a recipe, I believe you lose out on most of the joy in cooking.

Well said! This is EXACTLY what this forum is all about!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles