Author Topic: New member  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Preich

« Reply #-1 on: April 26, 2017, 01:59:17 PM »
Novice bbqer who has found the WSM to be a PITA and am in the market for a pellet smoker. And thoroughly confused about which to get!. As soon as I get close to a decision I hear about a problem someone's had and I learn about yet another brand! Rec Tec? Grillworks? Timberline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rwalters

« on: April 26, 2017, 02:22:10 PM »
I love my MAK! What's the budget? Knowing that will help a bunch w/ our recommendations.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline tomcrete1

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 02:36:46 PM »
Welcome from Wisconsin! You'll get plenty of friendly help on this site  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 02:42:41 PM »
Welcome from SE Georgia!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Subvet

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 03:00:23 PM »
Welcome from Texas
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 03:10:04 PM »
Welcome from Alabama
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Preich

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 03:37:22 PM »
I love my MAK! What's the budget? Knowing that will help a bunch w/ our recommendations.
Well, subject to my real budget overseer (my wife!), 1k to $2k (stretching it at $2k). Have been leaning toward Rec Tec, lately interested in blazngrillworks grid iron, and also waiting on some hands-on reviews of the new traeger timberline, though I am reluctant to buy into a new model. I know the MAKs are supposed to be great, but the MAK 1 seems a little small for the price. I take it you like it?

Offline rwalters

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 04:15:20 PM »
Well, subject to my real budget overseer (my wife!), 1k to $2k (stretching it at $2k). Have been leaning toward Rec Tec, lately interested in blazngrillworks grid iron, and also waiting on some hands-on reviews of the new traeger timberline, though I am reluctant to buy into a new model. I know the MAKs are supposed to be great, but the MAK 1 seems a little small for the price. I take it you like it?

For me, the MAK is one of the finest cookers I have ever cooked on...and I have cooked on a lot of different cookers. I have a large family (9 daughters and wife) and we love to entertain. If you wanna straight grill for a large group, yes, it is a bit small. For my family of 10, I have no problem with the grate size.  If I need to grill a mess of food, I have (and LOVE) my Blackstone griddle. Its a great tag team partner for my MAK. For low n a slow cooks, with a full 2nd rack, I can easily cook for an army on the MAK! 
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 04:26:20 PM »
Greetings from North Texas.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Preich

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 04:27:25 PM »

For me, the MAK is one of the finest cookers I have ever cooked on...and I have cooked on a lot of different cookers. I have a large family (9 daughters and wife) and we love to entertain. If you wanna straight grill for a large group, yes, it is a bit small. For my family of 10, I have no problem with the grate size.  If I need to grill a mess of food, I have (and LOVE) my Blackstone griddle. Its a great tag team partner for my MAK. For low n a slow cooks, with a full 2nd rack, I can easily cook for an army on the MAK!
Wow, I'm surprised you found the time to post with such a large crowd! Thanks very much! Although you've now made my decision even harder! ; )

Offline rwalters

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 04:41:49 PM »

Wow, I'm surprised you found the time to post with such a large crowd! Thanks very much! Although you've now made my decision even harder! ; )

Yep, I'm hiding in the bathroom as I type this...LOL!!!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 04:44:52 PM »

I own the Blazn Grillworks Gridiron and it is a tank! Well built with an excellent controller. I have cooked on the Rec Tec and the Mak. You can't go wrong with any of those choices in my opinion. I don't know about the Timberline since there still isn't a lot of information available on it.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline LarryO1947

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 05:47:09 PM »
No advice......just a welcome from the Southern Tier of New York.
22" Weber Premium
SNS
PBC
Char Griller Akorn
IQ110
Rec Tec-Mini
Thermoworks Smoke
Maverick ET-733
Thermapen MK4
Thermopop

Larry

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 05:53:37 PM »
Welcome from Manitoba, Canada ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 07:11:08 PM »
I know the MAKs are supposed to be great, but the MAK 1 seems a little small for the price. I take it you like it?

First, welcome to the forum!

As a MAK 1 Star owner I can tell you it's anything but small for the price.  Do NOT be fooled by it's apparent small footprint. With the full upper rack doubles its capacity and it holds a lot of food.

Check out this post I made of last year's Marching Band cookout I did using my 2014 model 1 Star, which is not even as big as the 2017 models.  Four whole pork shoulders (4 butts + 4 picnics); enough for 140 hungry band kids, staff & volunteers: http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=18114.msg239166;topicseen#msg239166

I am in the process of reviewing the latest model 1 star here: http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=20208.0

One thing to keep in mind when comparing prices is that shipping is already included in the price of a MAK.

Hopefully, I just made your decision even harder!  :P  :D

Cliff
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68