Author Topic: Davy Crockett stopped by to vist, but thinking he will stay awhile.  (Read 1438 times)

Offline slrpro02

Davy Crockett stopped by to vist, but thinking he will stay awhile.
« Reply #-1 on: May 12, 2017, 01:51:05 AM »
Been awhile since I post any pictures. I forgot how. Is there away to send directly from my Iphone?

https://scontent.fdet1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18403083_10209456831080935_2817369380073065884_n.jpg?oh=2e0c2e82cb9799d0824d945d11399704&oe=5979EB2C

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
You will love that little pellet cooker. This forum has several owners and is a great place to get information on this fine cooker. A good place to start is the forum's search engine and by just using the term "Davy Crockett" will bring up about 84 threads on this cooker.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline slrpro02

Hey Dave I just got my Davy Crockett & would like to try the Brisket & bean cook you did. I already have a full packer Brisket. I have a few questions if you don't mind? Did you brine or inject the Brisket? Can you give me the recipe for your beans? I'm about to order the top rack from amazon.
I like the mods you done to your other GMG the rib-o-lator, but don't think it will work on the Davy Crockett- to small.
I seen someone said their Davy Crockett didn't heat evenly- do you have that problem?
I come to this forum 2or3 times a day, however rarely post or reply. I really enjoy your & other peoples cooks. I thought about getting a bigger GMG, however maybe latter on- my back & neck are screwed-up & don't need anything heavy right now. Thanking you in advance for whatever your advice is.

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
Hey Dave I just got my Davy Crockett & would like to try the Brisket & bean cook you did. I already have a full packer Brisket. I have a few questions if you don't mind? Did you brine or inject the Brisket? Can you give me the recipe for your beans? I'm about to order the top rack from amazon.
I like the mods you done to your other GMG the rib-o-lator, but don't think it will work on the Davy Crockett- to small.
I seen someone said their Davy Crockett didn't heat evenly- do you have that problem?
I come to this forum 2or3 times a day, however rarely post or reply. I really enjoy your & other peoples cooks. I thought about getting a bigger GMG, however maybe latter on- my back & neck are screwed-up & don't need anything heavy right now. Thanking you in advance for whatever your advice is.

I usually do inject my briskets with one of the injection mixes from There Ingredient Store, or Butchers, or Kosmo's line of products. I also make up a recipe of Rick Salmon's Sinful Marinade and use about 1/2 to 2/3rd cup inside my foil when I wrap my brisket.

You are right in that there is just not enough room for a rotisserie setup in the Davy Crockett grill.

Most pellet grills don't cook as even as most folks would like but the Davy Crockett is not too bad as compared to my other three pellet grills. It does cook a little hotter on the pellet hopper side but just use this to your advantage. When you put that big packer cut brisket on, put the big end to the pellet hopper side and you will get a fine cook. I could probably fix the small difference I have on my cooker but to me, it's not worth fooling with. There is not as much difference on the raised grid so when you get yours built, you will be ok for your cooking.

Rick Salmon's Cut Down Version of his BBQ Pit Beans (will fit the 9X13 foil pan)

One  28 oz. & one 15 1/2 oz cans of Bushs original baked beans
9 ounce of a bottle of barbeque sauce (I use KC Masterpiece)
1/3 onion, finely diced
1/3 green pepper, finely diced
2 celery stalks, finely diced
5 tablespoons of prepared yellow mustard
About 1 pound brown sugar (or what ever it takes to adequately cover)
4 tsp of your favorite bbq rub
4 tsp celery seed
1 pounds of smoked pork or brisket
1 aluminum half steam pan (roughly a 9x13)

Put all the above ingredients in the pan. Mix well. Cover with brown sugar, about 1/2 to 1 inch thick and do not stir in the brown sugar. Put in smoker for about two to three hours at 200 to 225 degrees, I use hickory wood. Let the brown sugar melt down into the beans. Stirring it in is not necessary. I usually let the beans cook about 4-6 hours in my pellet cookers.

Can be done in the oven.

Rick Salmon's Sinful Marinade

12 oz. can of beer
½ cup cider vinegar
½ cup of water
½ cup Worcestershire sauce (I use Head Country Marinade)
¼ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon beef base
2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
1 tablespoon seasoned salt or rub.
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon MSG

Mix the ingredients and baste as necessary, or add when wrapping at about 165º.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline cgriller64

Sirpro02 - I had the family buy me a DC for Christmas. I wanted it to take camping. Ironically it hasn't made to a camp site yet but I am using the he heck out of it at home. Everything I have cooked on it so far has turn d out great. Chicken is awesome on the pellet grill. Cooked some bone in breast last night. Cooked way more than I thought the family would eat hoping to have leftovers for lunch. NOT. Only thing l ft over was picked clean bones. There are numerous posts here about the DC specifically and pellet grills in general. Great source of ideas, tips, and inspiration. Look forward to your posts and thoughts. Congrats.