Author Topic: Making beef jerky  (Read 5331 times)

Offline Pappymn

Making beef jerky
« Reply #-1 on: May 31, 2017, 10:37:11 PM »
Well my son is 12 and a very picky eater. I got him to try a premium beef jerky from a small town butcher. And he really liked it. But at 18 bucks a pound, not very affordable.

I would like to try making my own. I have a meat slicer and a smoker, but no dehydrator.

Any tips or links are appreciated.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Making beef jerky
« on: June 01, 2017, 12:33:50 AM »
I have done jerkey in a couple of pellet grills. I ran them at smoke setting.

Here is a great Traeger Jerkey recipe to put on your MAK. The trick is a long marinating time.............. 8)

http://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/beef/peppered-beef-jerky
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 11:06:46 AM »
I make a lot of jerky using the Cabella's Original Jerky Seasoning.  All the directions are in the package.  The packets are pre-measured for 5 lb batches (that is a raw weight).  My favorite cut of meat is the Top Round (AKA London Broil is usually labeled on the package).  Our local grocer slices it thin for free (I request that they slice it 1/8" slices and they do a pretty good job).  It takes around 2 - 3 hours to smoke on the pellet grill (I usually use Hickory pellets) at 170 degrees.  Once you make your own jerky you will likely never buy it again - home made is far better than any store-bought.

Good luck and share your results when you are done!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 11:44:38 AM »
I make a lot of jerky using the Cabella's Original Jerky Seasoning.  All the directions are in the package.  The packets are pre-measured for 5 lb batches (that is a raw weight).  My favorite cut of meat is the Top Round (AKA London Broil is usually labeled on the package).  Our local grocer slices it thin for free (I request that they slice it 1/8" slices and they do a pretty good job).  It takes around 2 - 3 hours to smoke on the pellet grill (I usually use Hickory pellets) at 170 degrees.  Once you make your own jerky you will likely never buy it again - home made is far better than any store-bought.

Good luck and share your results when you are done!

Almost exactly like I do when I make jerky. The Cabella's seasonings are awesome!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pappymn

Making beef jerky
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 01:17:49 PM »
So three hours on smoke is all it takes? The link from the Smoke says five hours. Not sure what to look for to determine doneness.
Looks like top round and eye of round are the most popular for jerky. Evidently fat is not out friend when making jerky.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 03:21:35 PM »
So three hours on smoke is all it takes? The link from the Smoke says five hours. Not sure what to look for to determine doneness.
Looks like top round and eye of round are the most popular for jerky. Evidently fat is not out friend when making jerky.

I am sure the length of the smoke would depend on the thickness of the meat you are using.  There is a definite change in the look and feel of the meat when it is "ready" to pull from the smoker.  The grey appearance that you see after the cure go away completely and the meat turns more of a red color (based on the cure I use - that may not be true of all cures - I can't answer that one). There is, however, a definite change in the meat when it is done.

As far as fat is concerned, you are correct.  You want a  very lean cut of meat as the fat is what gets rancid.  I also know of people that use flank steak for jerky.  I tried it and was not as impressed as I was with the Top Round.  I think the eye of round makes a tougher jerky.  I generally use Top Round as I wait until it is on sale for around $3.99 lb and stock up for Jerky. 

The Cabella's cure also recommends refrigerating the jerky, which I do as it is recommended.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Pappymn

Making beef jerky
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 03:56:10 PM »
Thanks guys. One last question as I am seeing conflicting information on this. Do you slice the meat with the grain or across the grain?
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 04:50:27 PM »
Thanks guys. One last question as I am seeing conflicting information on this. Do you slice the meat with the grain or across the grain?

Across the grain will have a better texture and chew. With the grain will be too stringy and too much chew.

I marinate mine with simple store bought marinates. Since you son is a picky eater, marinate in something he likes. We love a simple teriyaki marinate.

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 07:29:14 PM »
Here is a couple pics of some jerky I have done in the past - this will give you an idea of the change in appearance to figure out when it is done.

Cutting the strips - you can cut with or against grain - with grain is more tough/pull and against grain is less tough/pull

After Overnight Cure and on the smoker - note the brownish/greg color

Done - note the "red" color - that is what I use as a gauge for being done, as well as being pliable but not "dry"
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Pappymn

Making beef jerky
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 07:54:44 PM »
Here is a couple pics of some jerky I have done in the past - this will give you an idea of the change in appearance to figure out when it is done.

Cutting the strips - you can cut with or against grain - with grain is more tough/pull and against grain is less tough/pull

After Overnight Cure and on the smoker - note the brownish/greg color

Done - note the "red" color - that is what I use as a gauge for being done, as well as being pliable but not "dry"

Thank you for all the great information. Might happen this weekend!
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 08:07:31 PM »
Go get after it Pappy  8)

Once you make a batch of jerkey you will be making it all the time....... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline DWard51

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 10:11:28 PM »
Also pay attention to which cure you have vs what the recipe calls for.  The Traeger recipe linked uses Morton Tenderquick.  If you put the amount called for, 1 Tablespoon for 2 pounds of meat, but use cure #1 instead of TQ you will have a dangerous level of cure.  Cure #1 is seriously more concentrated than the amounts in Tenderquick.  Either cure would work in the recipe, just make sure you are using an appropriate amount for the cure you have.   Also Tenderquick has a lot of salt as the base, so if you use cure #1 you would probably need to add some kosher salt to compensate in the final flavor.

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 11:14:57 PM »
Cure # 1 should be used at a rate of 1 tsp per 5 lbs of meat
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 11:28:55 AM »
Dont mix MTQ with Cure #1. Use just one type with your jerky.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 02:20:15 PM »
When I do beef jerkey - I dont use any cure at all.