Author Topic: Looking to start stick burning!  (Read 19510 times)

Offline soggy wood

Looking to start stick burning!
« Reply #-1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »
Last weekend I realized that, while pellet smokers are very consistent, efficient, and almost hassle free (I currently own a made in China Traeger), they lack the sociability of stick burners.  As I was tending to a brisket that I smoked for 13 hours, I looked over at my charcoal rotisserie, and reminisced about all the times I roasted a pig, and all my friends and I would tip back more than a few beers, while conversing about inappropriate topics.  Needless to say, I only roast pigs 4 times a year, so I'd like to have more opportunities to congregate with family and friends on a more consistent basis.  I figured that getting an offset stick burner to smoke carcasses would remedy this dilemma.  I'm not new to barbecuing, and in fact have purchased a Yoder YS640 comp cart to use for our business, and to replace the Traeger, but would like to look into getting an inexpensive offset smoke a little later down the road.  I still have to recover from the sticker shock of buying the Yoder, so I probably won't pull the trigger on an offset until this fall or early winter.  I'm driving down to All Things BBQ in Wichita, from Denver, next Wednesday to pick up the Yoder, so I will definitely peruse their showroom, and make considerations based on your suggestions here.  Thanks!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Looking to start stick burning!
« on: June 01, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »
*IF* you want a truly quality built stick burner..It is hard to beat a Yoder. I really liked the stick burner from them. ( MUCH better than their pellet grills, IMHO...)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 10:47:28 AM »
In the mean time you and your friends can still drink beer around your Traeger.   :thumbup:
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline soggy wood

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 11:01:23 AM »
In the mean time you and your friends can still drink beer around your Traeger.   :thumbup:

I only drink around my Traeger, because of the Traeger!  My friends don't need to see me like that!  I'd like to be drinking while happy, not because I'm frustrated.  The Traeger reminds me of an ex-girlfriend I had once.  It was all good in the beginning, then crapped out on me out of nowhere, and worked for a little while after it was fixed, then rock bottom once again.

Offline Pappymn

Looking to start stick burning!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 11:11:17 AM »
I hear you on Pellet grills being a bit boring. That's why I keep a kettle close so I can lite some charcoal and feel more manly
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 11:30:30 AM »
A inexpensive Off-Set will have you running to your pellet grill as fast as you can. Stay away from the thin metal offerings at the big box stores. Once thick steel heats up, off-sets are off and running. A good base of hot lumps and wood splits the rest of the way and you are all set. The big box store crap can not handle 14-16 inch wood splits. They will warp on your first cook.

Tim is right about Yoder. They are excellent. However, before you pull the trigger call Lillian over at BBQ Pits by JJ. They make awesome 1/4" thick smokers that are priced right. Some of David Klose's ex welders work there. Problem with Klose and Jambo is that you pay extra for their name.  Call 713-691-2922      https://pitsbyjj.com/

Their pits are as good as anybodys.....trust me.

Even the best made offset will drive you crazy until you learn the pit. Fire management is crucial. You will also need a souce for good dry splits. You can order a skid of splits from Lillian and have it shipped with your smoker.

I have ran off-sets for longer than I care to remember.....from 100.00 to 2000.00 and they make you work for it. After the meat goes in the smoking chamber it is all about managing the fire for up to 18 hours (brisket) but the end result is the best you will eat.

One tip for you:  have a flat plate welded to the top of your fire-box. This way you can "warm" your splits before you add them to the coal base. This way they burst into flames and burn clean. Nothing worse than when they sit there and smolder.

Also, do not go for a 16" diameter barrel. Go at least 20-24 inches. You will appreciate the clearance. I also prefer square fireboxes....Lillian can take care of that for you as well.

Pick up Aaron Franklins book. Jaxon got it and it really helped him with his off-set cooking. It is all about fire management.

Do not be afraid of the shipping cost. Shipping a 400 lb pit from Houston can be anywhere from 300 bucks and up. JJ Pits have pretty reasonable costs for transit.

The off-set will be great for you if it is for occasional smoking when you have the time and plenty of beer. You will use your pellet grill way more, with life pulling you many different directions.

Good Luck..just make a good choice. Just don't go cheap. You have to mod them like crazy and they still are not worth the time or money.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 11:38:18 AM »

I only drink around my Traeger, because of the Traeger!  My friends don't need to see me like that!  I'd like to be drinking while happy, not because I'm frustrated.  The Traeger reminds me of an ex-girlfriend I had once.  It was all good in the beginning, then crapped out on me out of nowhere, and worked for a little while after it was fixed, then rock bottom once again.

Give yourself ( and pellet grills..) a fair chance. Dump the Chinese Traitor...uh - Treager and buy a solid AMERICAN made product. MAK is un-impeachable in regard to quality, no Chinese parts, customer service..and AN UPGRADE PATH.....You will not wear one out. It will not "die" on you. And - the best part for me is that ..."boring"...means I can sleep ALL NITE LONG...and not have to poke the fire. It is an individual desire that I had a few years ago after spending MANY nites poking a fire.... :D :D :D Of course your milage WILL vary based on your age, and desires.
BTW - Don't overlook the Karubeque as an option for burning sticks. PLENTY of great cooks by 1 Bigg_er on that one!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline soggy wood

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 11:51:07 AM »
A inexpensive Off-Set will have you running to your pellet grill as fast as you can. Stay away from the thin metal offerings at the big box stores. Once thick steel heats up, off-sets are off and running. A good base of hot lumps and wood splits the rest of the way and you are all set. The big box store crap can not handle 14-16 inch wood splits. They will warp on your first cook.

Tim is right about Yoder. They are excellent. However, before you pull the trigger call Lillian over at BBQ Pits by JJ. They make awesome 1/4" thick smokers that are priced right. Some of David Klose's ex welders work there. Problem with Klose and Jambo is that you pay extra for their name.  Call 713-691-2922      https://pitsbyjj.com/

Their pits are as good as anybodys.....trust me.

Even the best made offset will drive you crazy until you learn the pit. Fire management is crucial. You will also need a souce for good dry splits. You can order a skid of splits from Lillian and have it shipped with your smoker.

I have ran off-sets for longer than I care to remember.....from 100.00 to 2000.00 and they make you work for it. After the meat goes in the smoking chamber it is all about managing the fire for up to 18 hours (brisket) but the end result is the best you will eat.

One tip for you:  have a flat plate welded to the top of your fire-box. This way you can "warm" your splits before you add them to the coal base. This way they burst into flames and burn clean. Nothing worse than when they sit there and smolder.

Also, do not go for a 16" diameter barrel. Go at least 20-24 inches. You will appreciate the clearance. I also prefer square fireboxes....Lillian can take care of that for you as well.

Pick up Aaron Franklins book. Jaxon got it and it really helped him with his off-set cooking. It is all about fire management.

Do not be afraid of the shipping cost. Shipping a 400 lb pit from Houston can be anywhere from 300 bucks and up. JJ Pits have pretty reasonable costs for transit.

The off-set will be great for you if it is for occasional smoking when you have the time and plenty of beer. You will use your pellet grill way more, with life pulling you many different directions.

Good Luck..just make a good choice. Just don't go cheap. You have to mod them like crazy and they still are not worth the time or money.

I guess I should have used a different term other than inexpensive, because it's all relative.  I should have said, I'm not ready for a tow behind, but I want quality.  I'd like to spend as much as I did on the YS640, or a little less if possible.  You provided a lot of valuable information, and I appreciate it.  I'll definitely check out the the resources you cited for me.  Thanks again!

Offline soggy wood

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 11:55:39 AM »
I'm driving down to Wichita this upcoming Wednesday to pick up the Yoder YS640 I just bought to replace my Traeger.  I'll probably keep it around as a backup.  It may not be as good as the Yoder, but should get the job done with a little babysitting.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 12:17:25 PM »
The Whichita model off-set by Yoder is a sweet ride. Maybe they have one there you can see  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Hub

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »
*IF* you want a truly quality built stick burner..It is hard to beat a Yoder. I really liked the stick burner from them. ( MUCH better than their pellet grills, IMHO...)

My first stick burner was a Yoder and it produced wonderful groceries.  Like you're seeking, I think, it required pretty high maintenance.  If I tended to it every hour or so I could keep it under control.  If I didn't, it would get away from me and take a lot of work to get back into harness.  Vents were very touchy but, if set right, would produce good heat and smoke.  The secret was very small tweaks consistent with the fuel usage or re-stocking. 

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 02:19:49 PM »
I have a mid-sized (maybe small) offset and like to use it.

But...if I were to upgrade, I would be looking at LANG - a reverse flow smoker made in south Georgia.

https://www.langbbqsmokers.com/
just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline soggy wood

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 03:37:22 PM »

My first stick burner was a Yoder and it produced wonderful groceries.  Like you're seeking, I think, it required pretty high maintenance.  If I tended to it every hour or so I could keep it under control.  If I didn't, it would get away from me and take a lot of work to get back into harness.  Vents were very touchy but, if set right, would produce good heat and smoke.  The secret was very small tweaks consistent with the fuel usage or re-stocking. 

Hub

I don't mind tending to the fire once an hour.  As it is right now, I babysit my Traeger every 20 minutes, so having to tend to a fire once an hour is actually a welcome break!

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 10:48:04 PM »
The best inexpensive offsets may be the old country line academy sports sells.
3/16 metal , some inconsistencies with quality but in the less than $700 range as good as your going to get.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp