Author Topic: Traeger PTG  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Savannahsmoker

Traeger PTG
« Reply #-1 on: July 02, 2017, 02:38:30 PM »
I would like to purchase the Traeger PTG to be use for grilling only with GrillGrates.
Would like to hear from Traeger PTG owners about problems, recommendations and how hot it gets for grilling.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Traeger PTG
« on: July 02, 2017, 04:49:48 PM »
Interesting parallel to another current thread.....But, let met ask you Art - how are you planning on using the Grill Grates?  To cover the surface of the grill completely?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 07:10:04 PM »
Interesting parallel to another current thread.....But, let met ask you Art - how are you planning on using the Grill Grates?  To cover the surface of the grill completely?
All depends on how much punishment the PTG can handle.  ;D

I fully covered the Traeger Lil Tex with no problems and also been using GrillGrates in Weber since 2013.
[/URL]
Art

The Big Easy

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 08:00:24 PM »
You and I have the same Weber - which I am having to replace the body of mine because I filled mine with Grill Grates - turned on HI loaded with dirty grates from another grill, and walked away for about 1 hour. Don't try that. You WILL see the belly of the Weber sag in the middle to the point that the lid will not close properly.

Moderation with equipment has never been my strong suite...and memory....wait...what was I talking about? ::) ;) ;D

Given your temp. control....maybe you will be fine long term. I am now gun shy of filling the entire pit ( any pit) with Grill Grates/ I know they don't recommend it because if someone ( O.K....ME....) was foolish enough, or forgetful - and left their grill on HI for a while - they could ruin a grill - or worse.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 08:06:15 PM »
I have owned many grills and the Traeger PTG is the worst POS I have ever owned. I did everything I could do to make this grill work including replacing the controller two times, an almost completely rebuild,  and decided to use it for target practice and called a couple of my shooting buddies over and one of them talked me out of it. I was almost ashamed to even give it away.

Do yourself a big favor and purchase the best small tailgate cooker which is the GMG Davy Crockett from Sam's Club right now for $349 dollars. Then purchase two of the 12" long and standard width Grill Grates to be used over half of the standard grate and you will have a good steak cooker.

Another option I use is a cast iron cooking grid for my steaks in the Davy Crockett.

Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 08:18:19 PM »
You and I have the same Weber - which I am having to replace the body of mine because I filled mine with Grill Grates - turned on HI loaded with dirty grates from another grill, and walked away for about 1 hour. Don't try that. You WILL see the belly of the Weber sag in the middle to the point that the lid will not close properly.

Moderation with equipment has never been my strong suite...and memory....wait...what was I talking about? ::) ;) ;D

Given your temp. control....maybe you will be fine long term. I am now gun shy of filling the entire pit ( any pit) with Grill Grates/ I know they don't recommend it because if someone ( O.K....ME....) was foolish enough, or forgetful - and left their grill on HI for a while - they could ruin a grill - or worse.
Sorry to hear that, but I have never turned on all burners and walked away and will not do that in future. Not a worry
Art

The Big Easy

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 08:30:39 PM »
I have owned many grills and the Traeger PTG is the worst POS I have ever owned. I did everything I could do to make this grill work including replacing the controller two times, an almost completely rebuild,  and decided to use it for target practice and called a couple of my shooting buddies over and one of them talked me out of it. I was almost ashamed to even give it away.

Do yourself a big favor and purchase the best small tailgate cooker which is the GMG Davy Crockett from Sam's Club right now for $349 dollars. Then purchase two of the 12" long and standard width Grill Grates to be used over half of the standard grate and you will have a good steak cooker.

Another option I use is a cast iron cooking grid for my steaks in the Davy Crockett.

Thanks Dave for your comments about being a POS. 
As far as alternate suggestions I already have many different ways to do the grilling. ;D  Bottom line is I either buy the PTG for grilling or based on opinions I don't.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 09:53:58 PM by Savannahsmoker »
Art

The Big Easy

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 05:08:27 PM »
Thanks, Tee and Dave for the comments and I guess there not many PTG users.
You can delete this post.
Art

The Big Easy

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 06:14:09 PM »
There is one gentleman on this forum that does have the PTG and has done several modifications to it and I think he likes it...maybe he will chime in when he sees your post.
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 06:34:03 PM »
I think mileage varies among us all. What might be good for you might not be good for me, so forth and so on. I say buy it if you like it, try it out, if it turns out to not be your cup of tea, send it packing. I read rave reviews about the PBC. I tried it, not for me, sent it packing. I like Ford trucks, you may like Dodge. That's just how it goes. Grills are the same. So......take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt. Take what they say as being helpful of course but in the end, just because they didn't like it or have a good opinion of it, doesn't necessarily mean you'll have that same experience with it.

As for the grill grates, it takes a smoking hot grill to destroy them (if I am reading Tee's response right). There was a guy on the Keg forum who opened his vents up all the way to burn the crud off of his and forgot about and ran out for a bit. Upon returning home, the Keg thermometer was pegged, well over 1000° and his grill grates were a blob of molten metal. I just googled the melting point for aluminum and it's 1221°F  :o

So, with that knowledge, I assume Tee's grates made it out fine, just the grill took the abuse. I am fairly confident his grill didn't reach 1221° lol :P

Good luck with your decision. You're smarter than I am, I buy first and ask questions later :)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline MikeC01

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 11:01:56 PM »
All depends on how much punishment the PTG can handle.  ;D

I fully covered the Traeger Lil Tex with no problems and also been using GrillGrates in Weber since 2013.
[/URL]

I fully replaced my cooking grates in my Weber Genesis with Grill Grates.  I had them on there about two years.  Not long ago, I noticed the cook box of my grill had warped.  When I would close the lid, I could see that the cook box was bowed underneath.