Author Topic: Any Tips for Two Briskets?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline psousa781

Any Tips for Two Briskets?
« Reply #-1 on: August 15, 2017, 02:04:09 PM »
I may cook two briskets for an event in October and curious if there is anything I should know ahead of time in terms of tips or tricks.  I cooked a single brisket last month and it came out great, but don't want to assume I can toss a second one in the barrel and expect a similar process.  Any input is appreciated!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Any Tips for Two Briskets?
« on: August 15, 2017, 02:09:23 PM »
You may experience a longer cook time due to the extra brisket. Let the briskets come close to room temperature before going into the PBC. Two refrigerator cold briskets will surely lengthen your cook time by dropping the internal temp inside the barrel. Trim your fat cap to 1/4". The extra fat drippings from two briskets could change your flavor profile to stronger due to the double drippings hitting the coals. Be ready later in the cook to maybe add a chimney starter of fully lit coals to the PBC if you notice your internal temp dropping.

Other than that, save me a slice and a burnt end and we are all good  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline psousa781

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 03:08:00 PM »
You may experience a longer cook time due to the extra brisket. Let the briskets come close to room temperature before going into the PBC. Two refrigerator cold briskets will surely lengthen your cook time by dropping the internal temp inside the barrel. Trim your fat cap to 1/4". The extra fat drippings from two briskets could change your flavor profile to stronger due to the double drippings hitting the coals. Be ready later in the cook to maybe add a chimney starter of fully lit coals to the PBC if you notice your internal temp dropping.

Other than that, save me a slice and a burnt end and we are all good  8)

Thanks Smoke, that is some good info!  I'll have a plate with your name on it set aside. :)

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 04:11:38 PM »
For best results, stick with our recommended lighting time according to your elevation. You will need that charcoal to last 6-8 hours so your briskets will be in the barrel at 12 minutes if you are close to sea level. Check out our Brisket video here: https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/resources/beef-brisket/. Enjoy!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 04:32:30 PM »
I have had a PBC for going on 6-7 years and I still go back to Noah and Ambers videos. You just cant go wrong if you follow them.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 08:54:56 AM »
Sounds like quite a cook.  Looking forward to hearing how it comes out.