Author Topic: Beef Tenderloin with Coffee Stout Reduction (Modern American cooking)  (Read 974 times)

Offline DoomsmokeBBQ

Beef Tenderloin with Coffee Stout Reduction (Modern American cooking)
« Reply #-1 on: August 18, 2017, 08:02:47 PM »

Beef Tenderloin isn't as popular in my neck of the woods .. really the only people I see making it are the ones just trying to show off their wallets to their dates and not so much their knowledge about good meat as it's not the most flavorful part of the cow to me ..but certainly tender & Glamorous .  To me the perfect date night steak is a higher grade New York Strip such as Prime or higher with it's much more pronounced beefiness and fattiness kept to a good medium...it's not too lean and definitely not too fatty and as for tenderness, it  should never be a problem if you know how to select good meat & cook it right .. I can't remember the last time I worried about a steak being tender or not .. it's not my primary focus in selecting steak , I just go with good quality beef and well seasoned cooking skills and everything falls into place.

My lady was did FFA back in high school and did national meat grading, I don't have to tell her a thing when she's out shopping and we want steak or other beef for dinner  ...she know's how to source and select. Her favorite cuts are Skirt & flank and loves it when I prepare them with oriental or Mexican flavors, Both make fine Teriyaki beef and both make swell fajitas ..but that's not what I ment by when I mentioned Mexican nor does she bring your average skirt steak when she wants Mexican food. She brings home what is known as "Arrachera" ...a thinly butterflied skirt steak that is the true cut for carne asada that melts in your mouth.., you can source this at any latin market , I highly recommend seeking it out if you want killer carne asada tacos in your life !...more on this in another post however.

Like Boneless skinless Chicken breast ... I see beef tenderloin as a canvas for creative flavor , I like injecting tenderloin and coating it in coarse grinded spices and serving it with a fancy sauce, it makes for great sandwiches as well...but it's certainly not as affordable. Beef tenderloin is a very popular item in the few catering business I worked for and we'd serve it twice a week prepared as an appetizer cold on crostini or as filet mignon as entrĂ©e with the same Ole red wine sauce...it got pretty boring quick. , few times I was able to smoke it and prepare It as I pleased for the more causal events we did and they were always major hits. This recipe was from one of those times and I made it again  for me and my lady in celebration of her promotion . I injected it with garlic butter infused with a Coffee stout and rubbed it with a California style seasoning as I call it ..consisting of alot of garlic pepper with some herbs & Chiles , built a low fire with lump coals  & wine barrel wood from a local winery near us and gave it the reverse sear treatment and finished it with a simple Reduction of the coffee stout & Balsamic vinegar.

Beef tenderloin can be expensive ...however this recipe is excellent with any steak or cut of beef , Tri-tip for my fellow west coast people would be excellent . Shit even a brisket would be amazing ..just obviously smoked longer. The rub is a very versatile one ...matter of fact I consider it the "All purpose" shake in my arsenal  haha ..use it as you please.

FOR THE BEEF TENDERLOIN
. 1 whole beef tenderloin (trimmed & cut into an even form )
. Worcestershire sauce
. canola oil

FOR THE INJECTION
. 1 whole stick unsalted butter, melted
. 2 tablespoons Coffee Stout beer or other strong flavored beer (allowed to go flat )
. 1 tablespoon liquid Beef Concentrate (such as Johnnys French dip au jus)
. 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
. 1 teaspoon garlic powder
. dash or two of chipotle hot sauce

Mix all together in a deep container.

FOR THE RUB
. 1/2 cup kosher salt
. 1/2 cup Granulated garlic powder
. 1/4 cup Granulated onion powder
. 1/4 cup Coarse black pepper (smoked if available )
. 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
. 1 tablespoon rubbed Sage
. 1 tablespoon ground rosemary
. 1 tablespoon Spanish paprika
. 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
. 2 teaspoons ground cumin
. 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Mix all together and add into a spice shaker.

FOR THE COFFEE STOUT & BALSAMIC REDUCTION
. 1 cup Balsamic vinegar
. 1 cup Coffee stout or other dark beer( allowed to go flat)
. 3/4 cup Honey
. 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
. 1 tablespoon soy sauce
. 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves

Combine everything except the thyme leaves in a saucepan , stir until sugar dissolves and allow the mixture to come to a simmer over medium heat and allow to reduce for 15 to 20 minutes until thick and syrupy ...stirring the pan occasionally to avoid any scorching . Remove it from the heat and add the thyme leaves.

.1) Prepare the tenderloin by rubbing a drizzle of the canola oil & dashes of Worcestershire sauce all over the meat, then season generously with the rub. Lay the prepped tenderloin over a large sheet of plastic wrap.
2.) With a Meat injector...inject the tenderloin all over with injection mixture. Now Tightly wrap the tenderloin with the plastic wrap sheep and place in a container and allow to sit for a few hours to overnight.
3.) Prepare your cooker to about 225 to 250 with your preferred fuel ..and smoke it until it reaches 125 to 130 depending how rare you like it . Remember were also searing it .
4.) Remove the tenderloin from the cooker and crank the heat for hot grilling .
5.) Grill up the tenderloin , basting with any left over injection (that has been warmed up) or left over beer sear it until well browned. (a neat tip is to use left over herb bundles such as the thyme as your brush)
6.) Allow the tenderloin to rest a bit before slicing and drizzling the reduction sauce over the slices. ENjOY!

WeberQ22inch

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Coffee and tenderloin.....what a stimulating meal ;D Looks truly awesome!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

Re: Beef Tenderloin with Coffee Stout Reduction (Modern American cooking)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 09:55:22 PM »
Wow! This sounds mouthwatering Doomsmoke! Excellent cook and as usual...a very thorough, descriptive thought process. I enjoy the why, who and how in recipes. Thank You brother!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 11:55:39 PM »
Another outstanding post. Appreciate the recipes and the pictures :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 07:38:08 AM »
Sounds and looks good!  Plate me!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11