Author Topic: Smoked Whole Duck ?  (Read 1642 times)

Offline ChrisD46

Smoked Whole Duck ?
« Reply #-1 on: November 06, 2017, 08:00:47 AM »
Thinking of trying a whole duck on the PBC - for those that have tried , what recipe do you use for brine , rub , etc. as well as what smoking wood ? I would imagine a duck to be more hearty accepting smoke than say chicken (which is easy to over smoke) ... Your thoughts ?

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoked Whole Duck ?
« on: November 06, 2017, 08:14:37 AM »
I did some ducks for a friend many years ago on a 75 gallon UDS. I can just remember the amazing amount of fat that rendered in the bottom of my barrel.

Just wonder in the 30 gallon PBC how that would affect the coal bed...............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 08:46:38 AM »
I did some ducks for a friend many years ago on a 75 gallon UDS. I can just remember the amazing amount of fat that rendered in the bottom of my barrel.

Just wonder in the 30 gallon PBC how that would affect the coal bed...............
I would be saving some of that liquid gold, perfect for french fries and confit-ing.,   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 09:04:43 AM »
  I'm with Pam. Collect it.  There is an insane amount of fat on store-bought ducks.  I would be concerned with that much fat in the coals.
Let us know what happens and take pictures...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 09:10:13 AM »
Good comments on the fat amount - might be best to grill on my Weber 22" using indirect method .

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 09:40:03 AM »
Good comments on the fat amount - might be best to grill on my Weber 22" using indirect method .

It should work fine in your PBC, putting it over a roasting pan on the grate, but either way I'm with Pam & Terry; definitely catch those fatty drippings.  Duck fat is excellent for roasting veggies, and duck gravy IS THE BOMB!  YUM!!!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline kennjen

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 09:26:02 PM »
Ok.... did one a little while ago.

It came out great.    Except most of the charcoal under the Duck did not burn at all.   If you can, I recommend that you put it over some sort of a aluminum square dish or some thing.  THis will allow you to collect Duck fat and save the Charcoal from all the grease.

BTW, I ended up cutting the duck and pan frying it to crisp the skin.  I topped it with some cranberry sauce with buttter and it was French restaurant grade.   Loved it.