Author Topic: First brisket (ever). PBC, no wrap.  (Read 9950 times)

Offline Jim_R

First brisket (ever). PBC, no wrap.
« Reply #-1 on: September 28, 2014, 09:54:29 PM »
Hi there.  Brand new to LTBBQ, and brand new to pit cooking in general.  Anything besides simple grilling, anyway.

My nephew shared some of his brisket and chicken with me a few weeks ago, and it made me realize that I was missing out on something fun.  I don't have a lot of room, I'm a complete novice, and I wanted a cooker I would _want_ to use (i.e., simple to set up, simple to clean, and simple to get decent results with), and I ended up getting a Pit Barrel Cooker.  So far, I've done ribs, chicken, and salmon on it, and have been very pleased.

Today, I tried brisket for the first time (in my life).  I think it came out fine for a first try, but I'm an easy guy to please.  I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement.  My plan is to try a variety of cooking methods, and start feeling out what I think I prefer or don't prefer.

I wanted to keep my first cook as simple as possible...sort of establish a "baseline" to which I could start adding variables.  I decided to use a simple 50/50 mix of kosher salt and course cracked pepper, and I also chose to cook straight through on the cooker without a wrap.

The brisket was ~13-14 lbs after trimming, and I let it go for about 6.5 hours.  Probe thermometer near the top read 197 when I took it out. 

Temp in the PBC varied a fair bit during the cook.  Had my probe through one of the rebar holes and it dipped from 277 to around 240 after the first couple of hours.  Opened up the vent at the bottom a little bit to keep it from cooling any more than that, and cracked the lid a bit to let it fire back up.  Got up to over 300 before I closed the lid again (didn't think it'd ramp up that quickly).  When I checked again around 3 hrs, it was back to around 280.  I moved the probe from the rebar hole to straight in from the top of the brisket, and started watching internal temps.  I routed the probe wire under the lid instead of through a hole, and later I noticed a lot of smoke seeping from under the lid; I think my probe wire might have allowed a fair bit more airflow and hotter temps, but since the probe was in the meat, I don't really know.  Next time, I'll keep the wire routed through the side hole.

When it got to the upper 190s and the "toothpick test" indicate it was tender all the way through, I pulled it.

I didn't wrap it in foil, or paper, or towels.  I didn't put it in a cooler, or in the oven.  I set it on an aluminum cookie sheet and tented some foil over it, and let it set for about 40 minutes.  That was about all I could stand; the aroma had permeated the townhouse by then and I wanted to try some.   (I did manage to take a few photos; they're attached.)

So I sliced some of the flat, and it had a good flavor and was a tender chew, but it wasn't fork-tender.  I really liked the bark.  Later, as I was cutting the slab-o-beef into smaller chunks that would fit well in the fridge, I sliced off some of the thinner, more crusty bits of the point.  Honestly not sure what "burnt ends" are yet, but maybe that's what I served myself...the combo of crunchy bark and soft fatty meat made a flavor explosion in my mouth that I really enjoyed.  Some might have called those bits overdone, but if they don't like it, I'll take it!

At any rate, I now know what this method will produce.  Next time, I plan to try the "wrap at 160" method to see how that works.  Later, I'll try some different rubs.

I'm looking forward to a long series of experiments!

Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: First brisket (ever). PBC, no wrap.
« on: September 28, 2014, 10:30:48 PM »
Looks like you are off to a great start to me!

From the pictures - I think that is a brisket flat you have there. When you get ready to cook your next one, for fun - you may want to try a full "packer". That would be the brisket point and flat together and intact. More fat to moisturize during the cook ;)

Yours appears to have turned out really good!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Jim_R

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 10:52:19 PM »
Thanks, tee.

Well, okay, maybe I don't yet know what I'm talking about, but I thought I had a packer-style brisket.  See "brisket3.jpg" for where (if I'm using the correct terminology), I have cut away most of the flat, and you can see part of the point below it where no bark set up because the flat was sitting on top of it.  (Do I have that right?)  ("Brisket4.jpg" is the piece of the flat that is missing in the "brisket3.jpg" photo, sitting on a cutting board separate from the rest of the brisket.)

I may have over-trimmed it, though; I did take out quite a bit of fat from the middle, based on "how to trim a brisket" instructions I found in various places.  Wasn't sure how much would render out; next time, I think I'll leave a little more in place all around.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 11:11:22 PM »
Great looking PBC brisket.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 11:28:02 PM »
Brisket looks great to me!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 11:28:37 PM »
Great first brisket and sure it will not be your last!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 12:31:16 AM »
Thanks, tee.

Well, okay, maybe I don't yet know what I'm talking about, but I thought I had a packer-style brisket.  See "brisket3.jpg" for where (if I'm using the correct terminology), I have cut away most of the flat, and you can see part of the point below it where no bark set up because the flat was sitting on top of it.  (Do I have that right?)  ("Brisket4.jpg" is the piece of the flat that is missing in the "brisket3.jpg" photo, sitting on a cutting board separate from the rest of the brisket.)

I may have over-trimmed it, though; I did take out quite a bit of fat from the middle, based on "how to trim a brisket" instructions I found in various places.  Wasn't sure how much would render out; next time, I think I'll leave a little more in place all around.

JIm...I may have not looked at your pics closely enough - my apologies :-[....I can tell you that "trimming" a brisket makes us feel better as for participation in the process. But, for me - I have never found it to be worthwhile. Just season and cook. Now: Having said that - I would recommend placing a pan below it to catch the drippings so as to not quench your fire - or cause a flare up. And...they can be mighty tasty if you separate the fat from the juices, and make a "dip" with the juices ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 12:36:37 AM »
Nice job,thanks for sharing.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 02:53:04 AM »
Very nice work.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 08:34:12 AM »
Looks great! I still have not tried to cook a brisket.. intimidated I guess.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 12:44:02 PM »
Great job, Jim ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 02:14:03 PM »
Nice smoke ring , looks very moist .
great job.
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Pappymn

First brisket (ever). PBC, no wrap.
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 03:11:58 PM »
Nice smoke ring , looks very moist .
great job.

X2
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline okie52

• Edmond OK
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 03:23:47 PM »
Nice looking brisket.  Good Job!
Traeger Texas Grill w Blazen Grill PID
w/smoke daddy big kajuna
ng converted great outdoors vertical smoker
dcs 24" built in ng grill
50,000 BTU ng side burner
Maverick ET 732
Igrill

Boomer Sooner

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »
So you let it hang the whole cook?
That's one fine brisket for a first timer!!!
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer