Author Topic: Memorial Weekend Smoke.... Pics added :)  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Ericd3043

Memorial Weekend Smoke.... Pics added :)
« Reply #-1 on: May 31, 2016, 06:48:14 PM »
Alright, pictures will have to come later.  I have been having issues with Photobucket doing anything but timing out.  Instead, I will attach them later tonight if I can get online at home.   >:(
The kids asked for BBQ chicken and with the wife at work Sunday, I thought I would do something a little different for her and I.  Well, that was the plan - but she worked late and I ended up eating most of what was made!

To make it easy, I started with bone in chicken thighs and legs (family is not a fan of white meat chicken BBQ).  I went with my normal rub - Sweet Swine O Mine and dusted them well the day prior and let them sit overnight to marinate.

Chicken thighs wrapped up and ready to smoke.

All 3 pcs going strong- even the cooler and the new BBQ storage unit got into the mix!

Sunday afternoon, I got an idea to try something I read about - Smoked Bacon Wrapped boneless BBQ chicken thighs.  Since my daughters are not fans of bacon nor the smoke flavor (not 100% sure they are mine after hearing that), I only made 3 of the 4 thighs wrapped.  It was also my first time deboning a chicken thigh, so that made it interesting!

Fired up the grill at 2:30, full stack of charcoal going and some unlit in the tray (found out that was too much for the short cook time - wasted charcoal).  Only 1 wedge of Apple wood used to smoke.  All 3 of the thighs were put in the smoker by 3:15 with a  goal of everything done at the same time by 5:30.

Thighs finished up in under 2 hours, bacon was not crisp though.  The temp held steady in the 230's but did notice it inched up to the mid 240's near the end (probably because the unlit charcoal was really going then).

Finished thighs, ready for the grill for final crisping

The rest of the meat starting out on the grill

The rest of the meat was on the grill  and I added the bacon thighs to the mix.  The Big easy had a couple of taters done up.  Since I do not have a rack for the unit, I just turned over the basket and used the bottom to get them cooked.  I also had 2 sweet potatoes for my girls in the oven going as well.

I was afraid that the thighs would be over done since I pulled them at temp then threw them on the grill.  However, the direct heat really did not cause much issue.  The rest of the chicken and the bacon thighs were finished about the same time and pulled.  It started to sprinkle so I hurried up and pulled the potatoes from the big easy.  Not a smart move as they were not quite done and could have used 10 minutes more.  The same occurred with the sweet potatoes.  They were pretty large and needed another 5-10 minutes to finish up.

Overall, my oldest loved the way I did the chicken.  No sauce at all, which was a first for her!  She tried the bacon wrapped chicken, thought it was ok.  Personally, the chicken was moist and had a mild smoke flavor - which was the goal for this cook.  The bacon ended up crispy for the most part.  My wife came home and ended up disappointed that there was not any more chicken with bacon besides the one I gave her.  I had to promise to make it again- but do full capacity on the smoker (about 18 thighs I expect) when we have guests over.

The final product - just prior to me snarfing it down.  Not the greatest picture and I had not done anything to the potato, but then again, I was hungry!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:57:41 AM by Ericd3043 »

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Memorial Weekend Smoke....
« on: May 31, 2016, 07:03:54 PM »

** picture of me typing that was a great cook**

hope you get your photobucket worked out...really wanna see your cooking  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 09:59:20 PM »
I agree with Smoke here. Everything sounds wonderful. I just can't drool without pics! :D
You'll get it buddy!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 06:19:07 AM by hikerman »

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 10:28:25 PM »
I agree with Smok here. Everything sounds wonderful. I just can't drool without pics! :D
You get it buddy!

LOL... trust me, I wanted to post on Sunday.  With the problems and being out most of yesterday, I did not want to go on much longer or it becomes irrelevant.  I will give it a go when I get home in a bit!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Memorial Weekend Smoke.... Pics added :)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 08:31:51 AM »
I see the pics. The food looks great!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 08:45:19 AM »
Nice cook!!! All looks great!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 09:20:22 AM »
Ok, I'm officially drooling!  :P

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 10:52:16 AM »
Thanks for sharing the story...the pics came thru and look really good!

<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 11:31:59 AM »
Yay!!!!  We got pics.......and they look good too
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 04:15:25 PM »
Oh Boy those look good! Gonna have to try that.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 05:26:16 PM »
Very Nice !
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven