Author Topic: Bought another smoker today. The Good One Open Range.  (Read 9594 times)

Offline 70monte

Re: Bought another smoker today. The Good One Open Range.
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 08:38:50 PM »
Smoke,
            Thanks for the additional tips.

Tomcrete1,
              Thank you.  It is a Gen 3.  I can't wait to try it out.

Wayne
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 09:24:50 PM »
That's one heck of a deal you bag there and I will be waiting for cooks coming off it.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline 70monte

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2016, 11:22:56 PM »
It just might be Karma that I got this one.  What are the odds that a few days after reading the review on this grill/smoker here, I find one fairly local to me that is new and 50% off.  I knew that if I didn't buy it, I would be kicking myself for it. 

I kind of wish I had the money to buy the Marshall they had since we sometimes cook for a large group of people but I just couldn't swing that much at the moment.

Wayne
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 12:15:10 AM »
The Heritage has the same size firebox as the Open Range but with a bigger smoking chamber.........I just cant like those double stainless doors  :(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2016, 08:02:50 AM »
I'm so jealous  :o
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline 70monte

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2016, 10:41:45 PM »
I got the smoker seasoned today.  Now I need to figure out what I'm going to cook on it first.  Probably ribs or chicken.  It won't be for over a week though since I'm going out of town all of next week.

I did sell two of my weber Kettles and one WSM on CL to help offset a little bit of the cost and to free up some room so my fiancee can't complain too much.

Wayne
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 10:21:24 AM »
How did the smoker perform during the seasoning?  What temp did it hold at and did you count the number of spins on the intakes and outakes for next time??

A handy tip is to line the fire-box with HD foil and then set your ash grate assembly on it..........makes clean up much easier  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline 70monte

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 04:21:05 PM »
I decided to season it with high temps because I was curious how hot the smoke box area would get so I had all of the vents open about 7 turns with the damper all of the way open and it got up to about 340 and held there.

I used some Royal Oak lump that I've had in the shed for a few years that probably wasn't that good since the bag had been opened before and I needed to get rid of it and thought this was a perfect chance to do it.  With fresh charcoal the temps might have gotten hotter since it never got to 350 which the Good One instructions say to season it at.

I filled my large weber chimney with the lump and got that started and put a small weber chimney of unlit down first and poured the lit over the top of it.  I might not have started with enough lump to get any higher temps.

I have read all of yours and some other people's methods and watched some youtube videos on where to put the spinners and damper to get this thing to hold at around 250 that I'm pretty confident I won't have any issues there.

I do plan on lining the firebox and the smoker box with HD tinfoil when I do cook on it.  I will just poke a hole in the smoker box tinfoil so that the grease can still go into the bucket.

I also found out that the Weber cover that I have for my Genesis 1000 grill fits the Good One almost perfectly.  Since this cover is cheaper than the Good One cover, I will probably just buy the Weber cover instead.

Wayne

2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 05:08:27 PM »
One thing about the cover. The Good One cover is seamless on top. Mine would have a foot of snow on it for days and it would stay dry underneath.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline 70monte

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2016, 07:12:39 PM »
All of my grills and smokers are kept under our two large carports that are built one in front of the other so they are never exposed to direct rain or sun.  I may pick up the Good One cover at some point but I will probably get one of the SS tables before a cover.

Wayne
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2016, 07:13:33 PM »
Good call. If it is under cover, get those ss shelves  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline 70monte

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 08:53:40 PM »
I finally cooked something on my new Open Range.  It was only burgers and thin boneless pork chops but they turned out good. 

I used a lit full large Weber chimney of Kingsford briquettes spread out on the charcoal grate.  I initially had the spinners opened 4 turns and the damper at 11:00 while the chimney was getting started and then put the spinners to 1 1/2 turns and left the damper where it was.

I cooked everything for about 8 minutes a side and they turned out good.  Now I just need to smoke something.

Wayne
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline 70monte

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2016, 05:30:00 PM »
One thing about the cover. The Good One cover is seamless on top. Mine would have a foot of snow on it for days and it would stay dry underneath.

I ended up buying a Good One cover for mine but I must have gotten an older one because mine does have seams on the top and in some places, you can see light through it.  I guess the only good thing was that the local store that had it took $30 off their listed price so I only paid $106 with tax.

Mine does not have the pockets for the handles and top spinner like the picture that is on the Firecraft website and mine is shorter than what it looks like on the Firecraft site.  Mine seems to made out of a heavy duty vinyl and has grommets around the bottom of it.  For the price, I'm not that impressed.  The cover does say Open Range on it so I'm pretty sure it's for my smoker.

I put the Weber cover over the top of the Good One cover so it has better protection.  The weber cover is old and does have a few small holes in it.

Wayne
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline 70monte

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2016, 11:16:15 PM »
Yesterday I took a trip to a Good One dealer about an hour away from me to see what they had.  I mainly went there to get some of the Good One lump charcoal as no one around here locally has it and I wanted to try it.  I did end up buying three bags of it to try out.

They did have the SS firebox side shelf for the Open Range which I ended up buying.  They also had an older rib rack that was supposedly made for the Good One smokers.  I don't see it offered on Good One's website so maybe it was something they used to carry but discontinued.  The guy gave me a small discount since they had had it awhile so I bought it as well.  It holds five racks of ribs and sits on the lower grate of the smoker box with the top grate removed.  I will have to take some pictures of it to post.  They also had a half rack that was made for these smokers but I didn't buy it since it was pretty expensive for what it was.  I probably could have gotten him to take some money off of it since it looked like it had been sitting for awhile as well.

So it ended up being an expensive trip but I think it will be worth it.

Wayne
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 10:10:55 AM »
The rib racks and they had a chicken sitter were Gen 1 and Gen 2.  Glad you got the ss shelve.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven