Author Topic: PBC vs Akorn for Ribs, Brisket and Pulled Pork  (Read 8547 times)

Offline chriswalters

Re: PBC vs Akorn for Ribs, Brisket and Pulled Pork
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 11:57:55 AM »
You couldn't have went wrong either way but I'm sure most here agree the PBC is a great piece made by great people.  Mine gets to feel fire almost weekly and it's never a disappointment. Can't wait for pics!

Thanks!  I'll be sure to post some :)

Offline LarryO1947

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 08:14:44 AM »
Congrats on new cooker. I just ordered one for myself, after reading all the replies to your post.  :thumbup:
22" Weber Premium
SNS
PBC
Char Griller Akorn
IQ110
Rec Tec-Mini
Thermoworks Smoke
Maverick ET-733
Thermapen MK4
Thermopop

Larry

Offline SteelerFanInTexas

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 09:26:48 PM »
Hello all-
Newly registered and first time poster here.  Be gentle  :D

I'm resurrecting an old thread because it's the same decision I'm facing, with the same cooking priorities.  I've been cycling back and forth about which one I'm going to get, but am currently probably 70% in the PBC camp over the Akorn.  I have a few follow-on questions:

First, my understanding is that the PBC runs a little hotter (275-300) and cooks a little more quickly than the Akorn, which can be kept down in the 225-250 range.  From my reading, it seems like the lower/slower is generally preferred for smoking meats - but the consensus favorite among these two for smoking seems to be the PBC.  Is it the fact that the drippings drop down into the coals that makes such a big difference?

It seems like the PBC is almost more of a grill than a smoker since it's using direct heat rather than a deflector of some sort (and using a deflector would kind of kill the benefits of the device noted in my first question above).  Do people find that their meat is more cooked in the areas closer to the coals than near the top, or does it actually work as well as people say in providing uniform heat inside the unit?  I guess I just don't understand how that's possible, so any information would be helpful.

For the Akorn, if you eliminate the deflector - do you get the same juice-dropping-into-the-coals benefit or is it so small that the direct heat is too intense and you lose the low/slow element of smoking?  Has anybody tried to do low/slow on their Akorn?

I assume I would have seen comments if this were the case, but does the meat ever fall off the hooks?  It seems like with meat-falling-off-the-bone ribs, the potential exists for a big slab to just tear loose.  Yes/no?

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 10:31:58 PM »
Hello all-
Newly registered and first time poster here.  Be gentle  :D
Great to have you !...But don't overlook the New Member Introductions section. You will find that folks really like to respond to new folks - and make them feel welcome.

I'm resurrecting an old thread because it's the same decision I'm facing, with the same cooking priorities.  I've been cycling back and forth about which one I'm going to get, but am currently probably 70% in the PBC camp over the Akorn.  I have a few follow-on questions:

First, my understanding is that the PBC runs a little hotter (275-300) and cooks a little more quickly than the Akorn, which can be kept down in the 225-250 range.  From my reading, it seems like the lower/slower is generally preferred for smoking meats - but the consensus favorite among these two for smoking seems to be the PBC.  Is it the fact that the drippings drop down into the coals that makes such a big difference?
There are several things. I will just touch on a couple, as others will have more input.
1. Utilitarian design. The PBC is the MOST user friendly - and versatile cooker yet.  Every time I use mine - I still marvel at how well it cooks - and requires nothing from me other than fill the basket with lit charcoal - and load the meat.
2. You can run it hotter...and you can "choke it down" a bit. LOTS of threads on this....Using wine bottle corks, or wads of aluminum foil in some of the rebar hole - you can lower the temps to 200-225 pretty easily.

It seems like the PBC is almost more of a grill than a smoker since it's using direct heat rather than a deflector of some sort (and using a deflector would kind of kill the benefits of the device noted in my first question above).  Do people find that their meat is more cooked in the areas closer to the coals than near the top, or does it actually work as well as people say in providing uniform heat inside the unit?  I guess I just don't understand how that's possible, so any information would be helpful.
While it includes a grill grate...it is not truly a grill, as it is designed. More of a "power cooker".  You can get it hot enough to almost grill...but really - it is a true "pit cooker" Thus the rebar, and pit hooks. And - surprising to any new user - yes, it really does cook evenly - top to bottom. Whole chickens -  split vertically and hung vertically will be as done on the top of the breast - as the lowest part of the leg. Why? Because Noah and Amber of PBC experimented with the design until they figured out the amount of airflow needed, and the "volatility" of that air inside the PBC makes for excellent temperature distribution. It is so simple - that most folks rightly question it...until they use it. ;) ;D ( Then we still question it...except we only question HOW in the world it does what it does...SO simply, and efficiently.
For the Akorn, if you eliminate the deflector - do you get the same juice-dropping-into-the-coals benefit or is it so small that the direct heat is too intense and you lose the low/slow element of smoking?  Has anybody tried to do low/slow on their Akorn?
We have some Akorn owners/users here too..and I DO think the Akorn is the best value for the type of cooker  that it is. But I do not own one...so I can't answer that question honestly.
I assume I would have seen comments if this were the case, but does the meat ever fall off the hooks?  It seems like with meat-falling-off-the-bone ribs, the potential exists for a big slab to just tear loose.  Yes/no?
Sure...meat can fall off the hooks...if it is not properly hooked. And...the "fall of the bone" thing... er...well...Most of us don't want "meat pablum"...or meat mush :D :D :D...hey - if that is how you like yours - that is all that matters.
But I would encourage you to get familiar with what are often termed "competition style" cooked ribs. Nice texture. Should not be tough or dry. Moist, and tender...but still have a meaty "bite" to them. Should pull away from the bone without any real effort - just a gentle tug.Plenty of folks here that can - and like to - coach, help and exchange ideas. We ALL learn form one another. ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 11:58:28 PM »
$300 = pbc  or 18 WSM.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline SteelerFanInTexas

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 09:04:09 PM »
teesquare - late getting to it, but just wanted to thank you for your comments.  I ended up ordering the PBC today.