Author Topic: On the fence.....  (Read 1266 times)

Offline jeffncris

On the fence.....
« Reply #-1 on: February 15, 2018, 09:18:51 AM »
Hello all,
   I am an American retired and living in sunny Portugal. I have been using a weber kettle forever, and I have been bitten by the smoking bug too. I have a Bradley digital smoker and a Smokey Joe as well. Now I want a PBC Junior (I cook mostly for two) however I can only find the big PBC in England then shipped here. Charcoal is pretty steep in these parts, over 20 bucks for a 16 pound bag. I was wondering, if I were to strategically place a few fire bricks in the charcoal basket, could i do that so I'm not using half a bag of charcoal (10 bucks!) to cook two ribs? I can get lump charcoal very cheap, but it does burn hotter, perhaps a mix of the two will work? I'm on the fence, I'd dearly love to get one but if I've gotta fill the basket to maintain the proper temps, its just not economically feasible for me. I'd love any comments or tips from the experinced users on this forum and if you're ever in Portugal, stop by for a beer and a que!

thanks,
jeffncris

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: On the fence.....
« on: February 15, 2018, 09:35:29 AM »
You could use only lump. The only problems is it does tend to burn hotter......which is great for crisping up poultry. Another drawback to lump is the difference in sizes and you might not get the consistent burn from briquettes.

Mixing lump and briquettes will work.  With the high costs you have to pay for fuel you might want to find a way to suffocate the coals after a cook so they can be re-used.

It sure never hurts to give PBC a call with any questions, they are always ready to help.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline jeffncris

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 09:52:36 AM »
Thanks for that. I'll probably burn a few ribs since there is no temp gauge. A lot of trial and error involved for sure!

Offline Agustine

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 10:09:46 AM »
I have used lump a lot of times in my PBC. Like mentioned it does cook a little hotter but all that means is adjusting your cooking time to the extra heat. I actually prefer lump myself.
It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicle that you realize that violence is never the answer.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 10:26:38 AM »
Thanks for that. I'll probably burn a few ribs since there is no temp gauge. A lot of trial and error involved for sure!
If you run the PBC as the videos show- I doubt that you will burn your ribs. It is not designed to ruin too hot...tho some of us make the PBC do ti from time to time - just like we tweak it to run low and slow for all nite if you want ;)

Just wondering...does it make sense for you to place those bricks in your kitchen oven - and pre-heat them? I do not know what your cost of electricity - or gas are like in Portugal...But maybe that would "pre-load" the bricks. Then you could quickly wrap them in foil - and place them in with your choice of charcoal..... 
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 06:27:13 PM »
I use a divider in my PBC so I use half the charcoal and half a hot and not so hot side.  That's the only way I ruin my PBC unless I'm cooking butt or brisket.  I want the PBC Jr real bad.  Would be great for tailgating games, camping at the beach and home use. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline jeffncris

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 01:19:28 PM »
Thats a ggod idea, I've done exactly that on my Bradley Smoker. I was thinking more of using the bricks to make a square in the basket, so I dont use so much charcoal. If you do a small cook, just a couple of ribs for instance, can you use less charcoal? Or do you need to fill the basket to get it up to temperature?