Author Topic: Low Carb Faux Panna Cotta (Net 5g of Carbs per Serving)  (Read 4776 times)

Offline UWFSAE

Low Carb Faux Panna Cotta (Net 5g of Carbs per Serving)
« Reply #-1 on: July 15, 2018, 07:29:13 PM »
Trying to get more serious about sticking with low carb ... swapping sweet potatoes for russets, Splenda for sugar, etc.  Normally, my cravings run more to, "I'll punch a small child to get some rice/bread/pasta" but occasionally I get a sweet tooth like anyone else.

Anyone who has gone the low carb route knows the dangers of snacking on more than a few pieces of candy made with sugar alcohols like maltitol ... but I think I found a keeper with a super simple knock-off of panna cotta.

Take three single serving containers (5.3oz) of Dannon Oikos Strawberry Triple Zero Greek Yogurt, one box of Sugar Free Strawberry Jell-O (.3oz), and a full tablespoon of Stevia and mix thoroughly in a microwave safe bowl.  Heat on high in 30 second increments in a microwave, stirring after each thirty seconds; I microwaved for a total of 90 seconds in three increments, but simply heat until all Jell-O is incorporated and you have an even color/consistency.

Pour into molds or paper cupcake cups to make six to eight servings.  This was a substantial dessert and probably should have been split into eight parts, but my cupcake pan only had six slots ...

Refrigerate for 1.5 to 2 hours, and then unmold your desert upside down on a small plate or bowl.  Garnish with Extra Creamy Reddi-Wip (or Sugar-Free Cool Whip), which should be less than 1g net carbs per serving and you should have a dessert that is around 5g net carbs each ... not too shabby at all.

The flavor was solid, with some tartness from the Greek yogurt balanced against the sweetness of the Stevia and Jell-O.  Obviously, any combinations of Greek yogurt and Jell-O would work, but I'm a strawberry and banana kind of guy.  Key lime will be on the horizon, however.  The texture is VERY similar to a panna cotta, and should be pretty accessible for folks even if they aren't doing the low-carb thing.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:46:36 AM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Low Carb Faux Panna Cotta
« on: July 15, 2018, 08:06:43 PM »
Joe - this sounds great!

I too am now low -carbin' it...and always looking for ways to keep the carbs in check.

Thanks for this recipe!
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 10:24:03 PM »
Tee, I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor of this (especially since I'm not a huge fan of Greek yogurt on its own).  I'm a texture guy, and this panna cotta knockoff looks, smells, feels, and tastes like a "real" dessert.  Considering I threw it together in five minutes (with another couple of hours in the fridge firming up), I think this is going into the rotation.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 10:27:13 PM »
Panna Cotta is a favorite of mine too - so when I saw your cab friendly version....I threw my Stetson in the air and gave the Mrs. a scare with a big YEEE-HAAAA!! ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Bayoucajun

Re: Low Carb Faux Panna Cotta (Net 5g of Carbs per Serving)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 06:39:04 PM »
I think I have found a new dessert

Offline UWFSAE

Re: Low Carb Faux Panna Cotta (Net 5g of Carbs per Serving)
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 11:32:57 PM »
For anyone following, they are even better on Day Two.  I sealed them in a Rubbermaid storage container (to keep them from taking on any fridge odors) and plated one up tonight.  It firmed up a bit more, but that actually improved the textural experience.  The flavors did marry nicely and mellowed out any slight tartness of the Greek yogurt. 

They peel out of the cupcake wrappers perfectly, and they actually make a nice presentation with a dollop of sugar free whipped cream on it.

I’ll be doing this one on a regular basis.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330