Author Topic: Cooking home cured bacon  (Read 17374 times)

Offline zueth

Cooking home cured bacon
« Reply #-1 on: February 02, 2018, 11:55:40 PM »
I made some maple bacon and smoked/cooked in smoker until IT of 140. When cooking the bacon what have you found works best. I assume I can’t use the normal temps and times that I use with store bought bacon. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Cooking home cured bacon
« on: February 03, 2018, 06:30:43 AM »
While your described method will be great - you should be able to cook your bacon any way that you would cook store bought bacon.
When I fry up bacon that I have cured....the smell is so much better. And the house has this incredible..."pork perfume". ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Agustine

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 08:22:35 AM »
The only thing I have found because I use Maple Syrup as a coating I have to cook at a lower temp because the syrup tends to burn a bit. Maybe it is because of the lack of water in the pan that store bought gives you. 
It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicle that you realize that violence is never the answer.

Offline zueth

Cooking home cured bacon
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 11:13:47 AM »
Okay, I normally cook at 400 in oven so maybe I will try 350. When I pan fry it’s normally over medium high heat so maybe I should try medium low heat.

Offline Agustine

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 11:27:04 AM »
I have taken on the low & slow approach when pan frying and it seems to work better for me. 
It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicle that you realize that violence is never the answer.

Offline zueth

Cooking home cured bacon
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 11:35:43 AM »
Okay. Thanks.

Offline zueth

Cooking home cured bacon
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 12:51:09 PM »
I put the bacon in a non pre-heated oven at set it to 350. Ended up cooking for 20 minutes. The bacon had great flavor the texture was just firmer that I am used to. I am use to cuting bacon with a fork but that was t happening. The sugars on outside got slightly burnt but not bad. How does the texture compare for others?

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 01:39:48 PM »
I also cook my homemade maple or Cider Mill bacon slowly because of the slightly higher sugar content. If doing it in an oven I cook it around 275-300 for about 20-25 minutes.

One more thing worth mentioning, when hot-smoking bacon, it's best to take it to 150*-152* so the myoglobin fully denatures and sets properly.  This helps keep it from turning a grayish color after slicing.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 01:50:29 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 02:10:39 PM »
I brine my pork belly in a mixture of brown sugar, salt, curing salt, pepper, and maple syrup for 7 days.  Rinse then soak for 3 hours.  Dry off and on a cooling rack on a baking sheet and into the fridge uncovered for 24 hours.  Smoke for 4 hours in my MAK.  Cool, vacuum seal, chill, then slice. 

I cook it in the oven on a foil lined baking sheet for about 20-25 minutes (depending on the thickness of the slices) at 375F.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 02:20:10 PM »
The only thing I have found because I use Maple Syrup as a coating I have to cook at a lower temp because the syrup tends to burn a bit. Maybe it is because of the lack of water in the pan that store bought gives you.
[/quote ]
It's the sugar in the maple sugar that makes it burn..might try cooking with a lil lower heat, sugar burns quickly when it hot.  I put mine on a rack and a half sheet pan in the oven.400º till acon is done the way I like it..go for it.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Agustine

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 02:31:52 PM »
Or just buy one of these. one minute & 30 seconds per slice in the microwave. Works pretty darn good and easy to clean up :)

Offline zueth

Cooking home cured bacon
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 03:42:15 PM »
I also cook my homemade maple or Cider Mill bacon slowly because of the slightly higher sugar content. If doing it in an oven I cook it around 275-300 for about 20-25 minutes.

One more thing worth mentioning, when hot-smoking bacon, it's best to take it to 150*-152* so the myoglobin fully denatures and sets properly.  This helps keep it from turning a grayish color after slicing.
Thanks I can try a higher IT next time. Took forever to get to 140 when cooking at 160 so called it good. I think I will try a lower temp next time to se if I get a softer texture that is fork tender.

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 10:34:29 AM »
My favorite way to do homemade(or any bacon for that matter) is on my MAK. 300 for about 40-45 minutes depending on the thickness. Best bacon ever! Takes time, but your patience is well rewarded.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline zueth

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 04:40:55 PM »
I brine my pork belly in a mixture of brown sugar, salt, curing salt, pepper, and maple syrup for 7 days.  Rinse then soak for 3 hours.  Dry off and on a cooling rack on a baking sheet and into the fridge uncovered for 24 hours.  Smoke for 4 hours in my MAK.  Cool, vacuum seal, chill, then slice. 

I cook it in the oven on a foil lined baking sheet for about 20-25 minutes (depending on the thickness of the slices) at 375F.

When you smoke on MAK is that around 180 degrees?  if so then I assume that is not enough time to get IT up, so kinda like cold smoking?

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 11:17:49 AM »
I try to keep the temps down lower  - by adding toys of ice below the bacon bellies, if I am making bacon during a warm period. ( I put them on the top rack in my MAK)
If bacon gets too warm - it will "fat out" - and you will lose a lot of it - and make a mess....because the fat is melting at 180F. 
THIS>>>> http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=400.0

Is the best thread for bacon making. You will find the information to be really well laid out, and - if you have any questions we are here!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401